Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ultimate 6wt. streamer rod...under $275

Sorry, I missed the price when I first read the post. Maybe a used Xi2 can be found for that price. There's really not a significant difference between the Xi2 and Xi3.

-VB
    ....Just one more cast...

Blog Entries

I'll risk saying something that you may not agree with here.

I fish streamers, feather wing and bunny & deer hair Sculpins along with Spey style flies 100% of the time here in Alaska. These flies are tied on hooks ranging from # 1/0 to #8 Bartleet and the Sculpins on shanks with trailing hooks.

You can cast these (all of them) on any rod you wish to use with equal accuracy and pleasure. I also use a braided lead head in my leaders mid section to take the flies down deep. The rods are 6'3" - 9' in single hand type. The weights are 5,6,and 7. Casting payloads is more about your style than your rod.

I believe that the proper line for a rod is more important than the rods action. Of course I am referring to quality rods that have enough backbone to cast streamers. I use what is called single hand Spey casts to launch streamers and seldom ever make a back cast. Once you learn simple casts like the snap T, and Perry poke Spey cast, you can fish your streamers with whatever you have.

One of my favorite streamer rods is an 8' Orvis 6 weight bamboo, it works as well as a 9' PM-10 or a 6'6" fiberglass. Short rods = small creeks, longer for medium creeks. For large rivers I use 13 - 15' 2 hand rods and the same type leader system but with a longer lead head in the leader. The Spey rods are cast in the same manner as the one hand rods and having the proper line is again the key more so than rod brand.

Anyway, that's how I see streamer rods, they're all streamer rods

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes bmbailes liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    The same here, after casting the Redington Predator 6wt 7'10", my Zenith 8wt is a dust collector now.
    Really? Just send it my way and I'll clear the dust off that Zenith for you
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

5. Default Re: ultimate 6wt. streamer rod...under $275

I have a TFO BVK 906 with full sinking line dedicated for Kelly Galloup-style streamering. I keep a spool of floating line on standby just in case I get tired of the chuck and duck.

6. Likes bmbailes liked this post

you may want to consider the sage approach at $235, afterall sage knows how to make a rod with backbone. This one is priced right and will certainly get the streamer job done in the 6 weight model. You should take a good look at this rod. One of my fishing buddies has the 9' 5 weight approach and it is more than capable of throwing wooly buggers, I used it last week w/ just such a set up and I was able to throw nice controlled loops with a size 10 wooly, give it a looksie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12