Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pulling the trigger on the new set up.

Default Pulling the trigger on the new set up.

Finally decided to make the purchase for my new stick. Going to get the 697-4 ONE and pair it with the Lamson Speedster 3 and a RIO Grand 6wt line. Went in to a shop err in the valley and they finally got the new speedster 3 in stock. Threw it onto the ONE I'm looking at and fell in love. I casted the 697-4 before and loved it. Ill post pics when the order gets here!! Anyone find their most recent love lately?
    Tight Lines!

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pulling the trigger on the new set up.

Wow, you definitely have picked a first class outfit, congrats and I hope you enjoy many years of fishing with that combo!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
    Finally decided to make the purchase for my new stick. Going to get the 697-4 ONE and pair it with the Lamson Speedster 3 and a RIO Grand 6wt line. Went in to a shop err in the valley and they finally got the new speedster 3 in stock. Threw it onto the ONE I'm looking at and fell in love. I casted the 697-4 before and loved it. Ill post pics when the order gets here!! Anyone find their most recent love lately?
    I have a new love as well. I just got my new NRX LP 9' 5 weight. I now know why it won the shoot out.

I have never thown a stick so powerful but yet delicate and accurate. I can honestly say this is the best rod I have ever cast. Paired it up with an Abel super 5n in brown trout graphics. Thing is a piece of art. If only it was easier to port pics I would for you guys.

You gentlemen both have great new outfits. I have the ONE in #5 rigged with a Nautilus FWX 7/8 and RIO Gold and love it...some folks opine the #6 is even better than the 5. Are you buying the outfit from your local shop? I have not cast the LP but am thrilled with original NRX #4 (despite it doing poorly in the Shootout) mounted with a Galvan T-6 and RIO Gold. Best by far big river 4-weight dry fly rod I have ever fished and better than many a #5. Both of these rods may not be for everyone but are for the three of us, great.

My newest outfit is venerable technology but a new rod for me, Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2'/#4 with a Nautilus FWX 5/6 and SA Textured Troutstalker. This is a rod anyone would love as it is not so technical as the above outfits. A gentle but not mushy tip smoothly progresses into just enough low end grunt to get any dry fly job done but this rod by personality is for smaller rivers and spring creeks. Unlike original GLX, this blank is straight as an arrow and fit and finish is first rate including nickel titanium single foot guides. A step in my quest for the ultimate spring creek rod; I have a bunch in this specific size spanning the seasons.

My new Streamdance GLX doing its fine tippet, tinny dry fly thing with a spring creek wild rainbow a few weeks ago.

6. Likes chi flyfisher, imxer, shimloom liked this post

Gosh awesome bow! Not to hijack tread but speaking of Gloomis rods can anyone tell me more of the GXL Presentation model? Earlier version of Whispercreek ? Problem is no one close even carries these rods. Can PM if feel better to response .

G.Loomis like Sage and every other big-name rod maker strives to fill all action niches with quality product. Obvioulsy, they hope to generate sales but also they wish to offer Loomis quality to each consumer. Fine. But Loomis, under the design leadership of Steve Rajeff has a core "style" as does Sage with fast rods, Winston with soft rods, Orvis with "flex-rating", etc.

A Rajeff rod has a somewhat soft but quick recovering, very responsive tip that can be wrist loaded by itself for short casts with little tip travel that smoothly transitions into a medium fast recovering upper mid section and from the mid down into the butt, pure power is accessible for the longest casts imaginable. He does not try to design these core Loomis rods for everyone; they are designed and constructed for casters capable of extracting at least part of their potential with good timing and a refined casting stroke.

Though my new Stramdance GLX is described as "fast" on the Loomis site; I would call it medium fast with, in relative terms, an emphasis on medium. Now I have often stated my aversion to truly soft rods that have tips that can collapse under load and recover too slowly to generate the kind of control I consider critical to precise dry fly presentations. For those not comfortable with NRX, I endorse this Streamdance series and I am confident I would have elected NRX LP were it available in a shorter 8 1/2'/#4 version.

9. Likes imxer, shimloom liked this post