Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G Loomis "IMX" line of fly rods.

Default Re: G Loomis "IMX" line of fly rods.

Quote Originally Posted by barham View Post
    Some ten years or so ago, I purchased a "deluxe" kit from Cabelas for a 9ft 4wt fly rod for my first rod building project. I remember that it was a Loomis blank and believe it was an IMX. I did a fairly bad job of building the rod, but, in spite of that, it turned out to be a really fishing rod which I used on trout and even salmon in Colorado. The kit and the blank are no longer available, but I wonder if it was actually an IMX blank.
    barham

Could have been.

When I was looking for info about them, most of what I found was about the blanks, and I think I do remember something about Cabelas. In fact I think cabelas still has a review page for them.

Yup, found the review page for blanks

review page for fly rod kits

Thanks for the information; all I remembered was that it was a Loomis blank.
    barham

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    Anyone have some info or history on these?

I was given a 9'6" 4 wt 2 piece and was able to fish it on Saturday. I am in love with this stick.
    BUG

Check for PM.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY

I remember buying a couple of IMX rods about 20 years ago, and the tip broke on each of them without major provocation. I loved how they casted, but I hated their fragility.

A couple of years back I picked up a used 9' 4wt IMX and it has not demonstrated similar fragility...yet. And I still love the way it casts.
    Last edited by throssing; 05-18-2014 at 08:17 AM.

Had several over the years, traded my 9' 4wt earlier this year and having regrets already. My favorite is my 9'6" 6wt. Still an awesome rod all these years later. Hang on to yours there getting harder to find.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

I still have IMX (late carbon scrim version) in 9'/#4 and 9 1/2'/#6. The 4-weight is eclipsed by several other rods and languishes retired but the #6 remains in active though infrequent duty. It was one of the best models in the IMX line up.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I still have IMX (late carbon scrim version) in 9'/#4 and 9 1/2'/#6. The 4-weight is eclipsed by several other rods and languishes retired but the #6 remains in active though infrequent duty. It was one of the best models in the IMX line up.
    SS
    How do you know your IMX rods have the carbon scrim?

LIVE TODAY

As I had problems with early versions, I inquired of G.Loomis and, when informed of the in-line transformation, replaced my #4 and added the 6 and a 9-weight. Visually, IMXER, I did not discern a difference. My earlier, glass scrimmed, #4 is sill in use, unbroken, by a friend. As is the 10'/#9 which I disliked. As I wrote in my history report above, these were fine rods but Sage had introduced RPL(X) and then incredible GLX followed and we entered the "modern" era of graphite rods.

If one enjoys the dramatic taper of soft tipped, progressive mid to stout butt conceptualized in IMX; one owes it to oneself to cast NRX...that concept realized.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    As I had problems with early versions, I inquired of G.Loomis and, when informed of the in-line transformation, replaced my #4 and added the 6 and a 9-weight. Visually, IMXER, I did not discern a difference. My earlier, glass scrimmed, #4 is sill in use, unbroken, by a friend. As is the 10'/#9 which I disliked. As I wrote in my history report above, these were fine rods but Sage had introduced RPL(X) and then incredible GLX followed and we entered the "modern" era of graphite rods.

If one enjoys the dramatic taper of soft tipped, progressive mid to stout butt conceptualized in IMX; one owes it to oneself to cast NRX...that concept realized.
    SS

Interesting. Do you remember the approximate date of the in-line transformation from glass to carbon scrim? Thanks

I

LIVE TODAY

Remember a date? Hardly. However, I just pulled the #6 and it has this gold G.Loomis tag on the zipper of the Cordura case which reads, "FR1146 5/20/92". Which is later than I would have guessed. This change foretold of the impending introduction of GLX, Gary Loomis's crowning achievement.

I appreciate that many in our forum enjoy rods and reels from yesteryear. Even I posted a picture of a 1989 Orvis 4-weight in "Rod Love" this week. I bought these and other rods that are kind of classics today when they where the new cutting edge thing. I fish two NRX rods; an unloved by some 9'/#4 which I consider one of the three best trout rods I own and a 9'/#8 which is the best bonefish rod I own. Both are in the original, flat gray blank bright blue wraps, no green rods for me, that pronounce in their departure from conventional graphite rod aesthetics how different they in fact perform from most other graphite rods. Steve Rajeff has expanded upon the G.Loomis tradition of soft tip, stout butt, steep tapers built of innovative carbon technology and taken it to an elite level with NRX.

When I attended the CFFC FFF Casting Rendezvous last spring, all kinds of exotic rods where present. I created a little buzz bringing one of our forum members "Flying Pig" 8-weight. But among the hard core serious types there were two dominant rod lines; Sage ONE's and G.Loomis's NRX's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast