Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scott G Series fly rods.

Default Re: Scott G Series fly rods.

I am still amazed that so many people love the old school rods so much. I took the 882 2wt out in the sun today to have a good look at it. This rod "almost" looks like it has never been fished. Getting a Hardy Featherweight for it, doing a little trading with someone on this site. I have some Hardy dt-2-f line but I am not sure how old it is.

Been looking at other choices and so thanks again for the suggestions. As I intend to use this more for 'gills and crappie (although I have watched a few videos on you tube of guys fishing trout on some small streams, hum) I am trying to decide if I should get a floating line only or get a spare spool and get a intermediate line as well to get down. Decisions, always decisions.

Craig
    "Never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Old school rods are all I own...I guess its hard to move from a good thing.

Sage SPL, LL, RPL, and my Scott G

I have a G model made in the Berkeley plant, and use RIO LT 4WF line on it...and like it above any other 4wt 8' rod I've casted.

Once you find a good fit in a rod it's hard to move up to the new tech stuff. I have 25 year old 'Loomis rods that I still fish. I put the Hardy Featherweight on the "G" last night, wow very nice feel, balance and looks way cool!

Craig

4. Default Re: Scott G Series fly rods.

i am looking at getting a used Scott G series (rod only). I am not sure specifically which model it is but the one i am looking at is described as "g-series 8' 2wt 2pc". Does anyone have any experience with this rod and any idea what a fair price for it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by belac View Post
    i am looking at getting a used Scott G series (rod only). I am not sure specifically which model it is but the one i am looking at is described as "g-series 8' 2wt 2pc". Does anyone have any experience with this rod and any idea what a fair price for it would be?
    In looking at completed listings on ebay, Scott G series rods average between $200.00 and $400.00, with the lighter line sizes going for more money than the larger line sizes. You say rod only, I would expect to knock $20.00-$50.00 off the price of the rod if it doesn't include the original rod tube and sock. I think I would like that rod in a two piece, it will be very light.

Good luck and let us know if you get it.

John

Belac, I think you will really like the "G" series rod. I have the 8'8" model and I love the way it casts. There is a real following for this rod and people who fish them seem not to want to get rid of them. Good luck, I hope you find a real treasure.

Craig

Has anyone done a side-by-side of a same model G and G2? I have not but, history aside, I imagine the newer rods benefit from more modern fabrication technique, improved materials, better matrix and some minor taper refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Has anyone done a side-by-side of a same model G and G2? I have not but, history aside, I imagine the newer rods benefit from more modern fabrication technique, improved materials, better matrix and some minor taper refinement.
    I have not, but my understanding is that the G2 is a little faster. If anyone has a 9' 5wt G2 in the Boston area, I'd be happy to meet up and compare it with my G.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123