Orvis new glass rods

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
This is from another site. Not much information but I assume this is what the new Orvis glass rods will look like. Target release timeline of January.

almonde

Reaction score
Any word on what lengths and line weights these will be available in? I'm a bit intrigued.

standman

Reaction score
Although Orvis has made an effort to build a glass rod similar in appearance to their popular Golden Eagle, I wish they'd made the replication closer. I would have preferred more of a cigar grip and down-locking reel seat. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to its eventual release and being able to check it out at the shows.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't care too much for the color. But I'll wait until I cast one before I get a fiberglass rod.

I don't see many 8' 4wt fiberglass rods...is there a reason for that?

jastrout

Reaction score
Shotgunfly , Good point as 7'6" 4 wght and 8' 5 are solid points in the glass world by commercial companies : Hardy, Scott, but custom builders can provide huge options. My Steffen 8' 3/4 rod is possible his signature plum. Supreme casting stick. An 8' 5 weight is very versatile rod for dries, nymphs and reasonable streamers .

itchmesir

Reaction score

I like the look of these rods. Not as much as I like the look of the Butter Stick. I'll wait for Cameron @ FGM to give a review.

Does anyone know if these are made overseas?

bear 007

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these are made overseas?
I think the blanks are going to be rolled in Manchester.

I don't see many 8' 4wt fiberglass rods...is there a reason for that?
I'm definitely not an expert on glass but I believe they try to keep the lengths down to keep the weight manageable.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
I really want to like these rods....

Not sure about the "Morning Stool" green.

An Orvis retail store disrespected me beyond repair.....sucks...because i really enjoyed Orvis's rod and reels in the past and was a great supporter of them also.

Even the email sent to corporate....well, went unanswered.

Jim

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I have to say, the folks in the Roanoke Orvis store have always been nice. They have a busy busy store there,,and it may take a minute for someone to get to you, but you can see they are not 'loafing' but making every effort to assist people in order.

It's happened in Walmart and about every store you have to go to much, you will met some weenie with an attitude. That can be addressed right on the spot.

Mike

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
I hear ya Mike,

If that was only the case. I was one of 3 in the store. Then, when i didnt get a response to an email...I was done.

It is probably an isolated case...but, i was treated very rudely. Dont know if its the poor pay rate in retail....poor management...whatever.

All i know is that i was expecting to fish the evening hatch with a new rod/reel/line +++....and all that ended up happening was me returning to my truck....scraping the Orvis decal of the back window....and ultimately just went home and ordered online from another company that dosent have a local presence.

I loved Orvis and used everything from them except flies and leader...I prefer RIO for leaders and tippet. Add to that i have sent MANY folks that way.....being in a tourist town....It just all rubbed me the wrong way.