Small Tarpon Rod for Under $200

mcond

Reaction score
I was able to put aside two hundred and change for a small #5, #6 or #7 rod. I'm really leaning toward a #6 since I might do some trout fishing up north sometime. However, I've also found a nice micro-tarpon (I say micro but I've hooked up to some decent sized tarpon) spot which is why I dont want a #5 and my #9 feel like a wench at times. I went to my local fly shop (which I trust) and was told that a redington pursuit #6 rod reel combo is exactly what I need. Anybody had any experience with this set up? Maybe point me in a better direction based on their experiences?

Thanks for any help

theboz

Reaction score
I have a Pursuit 9 wt and not a bad rod for a $100 price tag! Used it for Stripers and Albies and did a good job. For Tarpon in lighter weight rods I'd lean more towards the TFO BVKs or Mangroves a little more $ but still very reasonable for the performance!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm with theboz about the pursuit not being a bad rod for its price point.

How are you fishing for them? Are you in a boat, or are you on foot? How small are these "micro" Tarpon anyways?

I would prefer something with a stouter butt section just in case a Tarpon made a bee line towards the mangroves.

Also you need to have a rod that can toss the payload that consists of heavy head, heavy leader, and size 2 to 2/0 flies.

You could fish a six weight, but you may be better off with a seven due to better payload delivery.

Dennis

stl_geoff

Reaction score
You can pickup a ross essense f/c from sierra trading post for pretty cheap these days. I have an 11wt and my local shops owner go to tarpon rod is the 10wt. He's landed his personal best with it, just shy of 160lbs. I will caution you this though, its not a pretty rod. its a blank blank, with dark grey thread wraps and a black reel seat.

pete a

Reaction score
I suggest you look at the TFO Professional II.

My sons & I are connoisseurs of the $100-300 range of rods. 2 sons and 4 car doors and a trunk lid and lots of rods get "eaten". Plus the boys are very tough on equipment. TFO's is the best we've found for repair/replacement, quick and cheap!!

The Pro II is a well built rod with a med-fast build. They control well on short and med distance accuracy when needed. With proper form and timing can throw distance. Very strong and durable. Down side, weight, not as bad as Echo's but more than $250 range rods. These are in the $150ish range. We have these in 6, 7, 8(2) & 12. Our day in day out go to rods.

Not a fan of the BVK especially for stronger fish or accuracy casting. It is fast and light but strength looks to be a concern. I could cast well longer but no so when shorter casts are needed (like under mangroves at 35'). Not a very versatile rod. But it is light. We had 6, 7, 8(2) but all gone gone.

Mangrove by TFO we love it. Seems to capture the Pro II positives with a lighter weight, sold our BVKS and replaced with these. But they are $249 before tax/shipping. We have 6, 7(2), 8(2) and are our go to rods.

Lots of used rods out there. Might keep an eye our here or try EBAY.

Pete A.

mudbug

Reaction score
Not a fan of the BVK especially for stronger fish or accuracy casting. It is fast and light but strength looks to be a concern. I could cast well longer but no so when shorter casts are needed (like under mangroves at 35').
This is the second time I have seen you post this and I simply don't agree.

I use both my 6wt and 8wt BVKs for bass and make short casts all the time with no accuracy issues.

I've used my 6wt BVK on several occasions while in the middle of a hatch with fish rising all around me and made accurate casts at well under the 35' mark you mentioned.

Last edited:

mcond

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the responses!
Anyways these tarpon are at the biggest two and a half feet, most being a foot and a half. I love TFOs warranty although I haven't had the opportunity to take much advantage of it till this month. Closed a door on it twice in a two week span... I have a Pro II #9 and I love it! I've done some more research and have decided that I'm better off buying another #9 so the question is BVK or Mangrove?

pete a

Reaction score
Mudbug said:

"I simply don't agree"

Cool, I'm ok with your view. That's what good are about discussions.

I don't have much "match the hatch" experience. So can't respond for that application. However I have do lots of salt, bass, warm water experience, lots of wind, wide variety of casting distances, quick casts to moving targets, big flies, having to get fish out of thick weeds. Here the BVK just was not the set of performances for me.

When wind is down I can cast a very long line with the BVK so it does have a place.

Cheers,

Pete A.

mudbug

Reaction score
Mudbug said:

"I simply don't agree"

Cool, I'm ok with your view. That's what good are about discussions.

I don't have much "match the hatch" experience. So can't respond for that application. However I have do lots of salt, bass, warm water experience, lots of wind, wide variety of casting distances, quick casts to moving targets, big flies, having to get fish out of thick weeds. Here the BVK just was not the set of performances for me.

When wind is down I can cast a very long line with the BVK so it does have a place.

Cheers,

Pete A.

My comment wasn't about matching the hatch. I said that I've been standing in a river when a hatch was going off and fish are rising all around me. In those cases I made lots of casts much shorter than the 35' you mentioned. In that example I had to make accurate casts to put a fly in front of a rising trout and the accuracy was fine.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the responses!
Anyways these tarpon are at the biggest two and a half feet, most being a foot and a half. I love TFOs warranty although I haven't had the opportunity to take much advantage of it till this month. Closed a door on it twice in a two week span... I have a Pro II #9 and I love it! I've done some more research and have decided that I'm better off buying another #9 so the question is BVK or Mangrove?
I would err towards the Mangrove. It is stouter in the butt section, so you could really put more leverage on the fish.

I have seen quite a few BVK rods broken just above the grips. Friends from other shops have seen their share, as well. Usually people would over-leverage rods on either a vertical fight or against a fish swimming away at full speed.

mcond

Reaction score
I've been fishing even since i can remember and in that time ive had a ton of rods. I have never seen a rod break while fighting a fish and ive pulled 6-8 ft shark on 20-30lbs outfits and monster goliath grouper that were upwards of 150lbs easily on relatively small spinning gear as well. Are fly rods really that much more fragile? Ive been fishing them for quite a while and until recently i had never broken a rod. (then again ive only hooked up to one decent tarpon seems like everyone else is getting sick of catching them and i'm over here begging for one to just look at my fly lol)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Most broken rods are due to user abuse than to manufacturers' defects. I have broken six fly rods over the past 15 years, and all have them have been user error or wear and tear.

Keep in mind that not all fly rods are created equal. Some rods are casting tools rather than fishing sticks. A good example of this are some TFO rods. In my opinion, the popular BVK is the best casting rod that TFO produces. It is a fast action rod, but its butt section is not as beefy as others. The TFO Bluewater rods are fishing sticks. These rods are very stout in the butt. The graphite blank is reinforced with glass (think Ugly Stick). The Bluewater rods are designed to lift.

I won't say that they are more fragile than their conventional counterparts, but I will say that it helps having the right tool for the job.

Dennis