My First 9 WT

M

mridenour

My new TFO Pro II 9' 9WT finally arrived this weekend. I am using a new Allen prototype reel on it that Justin loaned me just so he could prove how cool he is. Strung it up with some WF10 that was already on the reel and started casting in the front yard. This rig casts a long way for me. I was having a blast throwing the line way out there and watching it land straight out in the grass.

The weight difference for me from the 5WT BVK with the Guru is amazing though. After casting for a while I could really feel it. I am going to have to cast this thing every single day to get acclimated to tossing so much more weight. It is balanced nicely though with the balance point being right in the center of the grip.

I'm getting really excited about going to Michigan in less than two weeks and chasing whatever is hungry in the Pere Marquette or Manistee. Pretty sure this rig will handle them.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I was fishing a fiberglass 10wt last week and that heavy rod didn't seem to bother me at all.
I remember reading once that swinging a wine bottle :rolleyes: is a good way to condition yourself to prolonged casting with a heavy weight rod.

Maybe I'm more "conditioned" than I thought :D

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Hmmm if you have an omega in your hands I need to come over and see it. Allen wont give me stuff to test for them even though I've been around from the begining :p

We can compair it to a 10wt Sage Flight with an Alpha II size 4 on it for giggles ;)

oarfish

Reaction score
I was fishing a fiberglass 10wt last week and that heavy rod didn't seem to bother me at all.
I remember reading once that swinging a wine bottle :rolleyes: is a good way to condition yourself to prolonged casting with a heavy weight rod.

Hey Rip is that a full or empty bottle?

Rick

P.S or half empty?

M

mridenour

I'm pretty good at emptying wine bottles.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

I had rotator cuff surgery last September and they clipped one of the tendons in my bicep. My bicep is where I feel it most. I think I just need some conditioning to get it into shape.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Hmmm if you have an omega in your hands I need to come over and see it. Allen wont give me stuff to test for them even though I've been around from the begining :p

We can compair it to a 10wt Sage Flight with an Alpha II size 4 on it for giggles ;)
Yeah, well, I think the timing of my trip to Michigan just worked out with Justin. If I can find some time this weekend and you wanted to take a drive you could come up to the secret lake and we could try some hoppers for bass and bluegill and you could check it out.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
you have me at secret lake :D keep me posted, i can probably get out for a little bit. i was thinking og maybe going to Busch with the 10 and 11 and trying my luck at a muskie, but secret lake will always win in my book.

M

mridenour

you have me at secret lake :D keep me posted, i can probably get out for a little bit. i was thinking og maybe going to Busch with the 10 and 11 and trying my luck at a muskie, but secret lake will always win in my book.
Let me check with the wife about what is going on Saturday morning. I know I have plans for Saturday evening but Sunday afternoon/evening may be available as well.

The secret lake is about 12 acres and has LOTS of 5lb+ bass in it and bluegill over 9". It is a pretty nice place to fish.

M

mridenour

I will double check with the owner but it should be ok. He trolls a little pontoon boat around with his friends when he fishes.

troutn

Reaction score
Looks like Mike and I could get into a mix bag of species in Michigan. I am looking forward to helping my son, and his friend, getting taken for a walk downstream by chrome or a king!