Best 5 wt under 250.00 ?

finfan170

Reaction score
First let me start off by saying I'm a new Member. I have been fly fishing for over 20 years but don't consider myself an expert by any means. I'm looking at a couple of fly rods to replace my old one that recently broke. It was a Cabelas Brand LST. I liked the rod but after it broke they were horrible about taking care of me with the 25 year warranty it had. The rods I am looking at are the Echo Carbon or Edge. I'm also looking at a couple different TFO rods. The Pro series and the BVK. I'd like to hear what advice people may have for me on this. I'm looking for a rod with a Med-fast to fast action and one that has a good warranty that the company stands behind. Thanks!

bwf

Reaction score
Not sure how strong or type of action of a 5 weight you want, but check out the redington CT (Classic Trout). Smooth medium action rod built for trout fishing. think they are around 149 bucks, but you can find them on sale for 80-90 at times from cabelas, the clymb, etc. Google redington ct and it is hard to find a bad review. :smile:

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Welcome FinFan,

It might help if we had a little more info concerning length and application -regions, fisheries and species?

We've still got three LST's in-service and they're brutes by comparison to most of the rods you've mentioned. Basically, our LST's are all used with multi-tip and shooting head systems.

I'll confine my reply to five weights that I've used in these series.
In the med-fast to fast range - I like the Echo Edge as a general purpose rod, with as good a balance between backbone, sensitivity and speed as any of the rods in this price range - although I've also fished ( big difference from casting in a parking lot ) a Winston Passport that struck me as being very capable. I still use the Edge's predecessor, the Echo2 in a 9' for 5 at times and so to me, the Edge has those recognizable qualities that feed & drive my bias. The T.F.O. Pro's always seemed to be a tick to soft for general apps ( Yet I've owned two of them ), but were fine for low wind, low flow - light load days. For that type of application, I'd choose the Echo Carbon over the Pro. To me the Echo's just seem to have a bit more refinement in their trout model tapers. The BVK makes up for what those two are lacking in giddy up, but again in my hands, falls short in the subtleness department. Although you might find that to your liking when coming down from a LST fix. They're all almost great rods. Which is my way of saying that, at these prices, they're all pretty darned good, just not great.

TT

M

mridenour

I like my BVK. Handles those 20+" browns, cuts and rainbows with ease and I can cast it for hours.

standman

Reaction score
I was never fond of my LST 5 weight and I used it as trade for another rod last year. However, I continue to enjoy my LL Bean Double L rods. This series is actually closer to medium than fast action. One thing about LL Bean, they will never hassle you regarding returns.

finfan170

Reaction score
The length of my LST was 8'6". I fish the North Platte river here in Wyoming, but also fish from my pontoon boat quite a bit. I have a Penn Intl. gold medal series 6 wt. same length as my back-up rod. It's a lot slower action than my LST was. Also I would like to get it from Cabela's since I'm stuck with a gift card from them for the Warranty or I should say lack of Warranty from my LST issue. Also if it matters I'm using Rio's 5wf line. I don't remember which one but it was like 70.00 when I bought it.

jmhall87

Reaction score
X2 on redington ct I have 2 of them great rods. They're on sale right now at cabelas.

jmhall87

Reaction score
It's a quicker rod than the description tells. Honestly when I go my first one I didn't like it because I thought it was too slow yard casting, but after several trips fishing with it I doubt I'll buy anything else for trout unless I come across the cash for a Winston.

jhammer

Reaction score
The Redington Torrent and BVK are fine rods in that price range. I have cast both and they are smooth and easy-casting.

flyfishusa

Reaction score
It's a toss up for me between the TFO BVK and the TFO TiCr-X. The Echo Edge is a close second.

TFO TiCr-X is awesome if you like to cast off the tip of a rod but the BVK is almost effortless to cast.

I agree that it would be good to know what application you will be using it for though.

Both companies have the best warranties in the business!

finfan170

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I looked at the BVK today and it seems to be a great rod. I wasn't able to cast it though so I may take a trip down to Colorado this weekend and see if I can try one out somewhere down there.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
The Redington CT's are definitely trout rods. If you want a rod to fit more duties the one's already mentioned are good.
If you can, check out the St Croix Imperial. Not to fast and it has good feel. But it's not a 'slow' rod either that requires a lot of learning. I have a BVK and an Imperial,,and while different actions, they are both very very well made fly rods. The BVK will toss some size-able buggers and streamers with accuracy.

But 'IF' you are looking for just a trout rod, the CT gets my nod. They are
amazing rods in the slower action slot.

Mike

tfrank

Reaction score
I have to say I would be tickled pink if cabelas gave me $250 for my LST. I bought a ten weight years ago just to see... I never really liked it for anything but throwing a Teeny 450 and it did that well. Into the backing if necessary.

Even if it takes a little getting used to I think you will be happier with most of the rods mentioned. I would probably jump on the imperial even if it wasn't my favorite just to help keep an American employed.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
For a 5wt under $250, if I had some time, I'd look for a used 2pc Scott G series in good condition. I got one for around $170 on the bay last year. I love that rod.

For new rods...

I like my 8wt TFO BVK, but the wraps are not great--too bulky and uneven. At lighter rod weights, that might bug me more.

I have a 6wt TFO professional that I like a lot. It feels heavier than the BVK, but I think I might prefer casting it to the BVK, and it was a lot cheaper. I don't know about the Pro 2. The wraps on the pro are better than my BVK--go figure.

I have a 4wt LL Bean Streamlight that I got on clearance when the Streamlight 2 came out, and it's pretty nice. Your best bet might be trying out an LL Bean rod and sending it back if you don't like it. You'll only be out something like $5-9 shipping. If you have an LL Bean store near you, even less.

LL Bean takes great pride in their Double L rod series, so I'm inclined to believe that they're pretty good rods, even though I've never fished one.

The Echo Carbon rods get nothing but positive reviews, so that's another option to keep in mind.

Good luck, please let us know what you decide on!

tpo

Reaction score
Personally, I love my LST 5 wt, its my "go to" rod for stillwater trout. I have a bunch of LST's (6 wt and 8wt too), they are all fast and light, but they are prone to break. I never spend over $130 for one. I also have a St. Croix Imperial 5 wt and its fine, but I don't care for it as much as the LST. I don't know if you can find them any more, but a few months ago Cabela's and others were selling Reddington CPX's for $150, that's a great value too in my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

Tom

finfan170

Reaction score
I would be tickled pink if they gave me 250.00 for my LST also. They gave me a gift card for 100.00 though for a rod valued at 175.00. They gave me less because I bought a combo. When I purchased the Combo I was told in the store that the rod came with a 25 year unconditional Warranty. I did have the rod for 7 years before it broke. After 3 weeks of them evaluating what they were going to do that was the outcome. I will not be buying any products from them that has the Cabelas name on it and will try to find other businesses to deal with after this experience! Cabelas isn't the same after going public. They are just living off of the reputation they've built in the past. Eventually it will catch up with them.

Last edited: