Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone fishing a 9'6" 6wt?

Default Re: Anyone fishing a 9'6" 6wt?

My Streamer and big fish rod is a Winston b2mx in 9'6" 6wt. I love it! It is used exclusively for throwing streamers or chuck and duck techniques for large trout. I like having the extra length for nymphing and the extra six inches also softens the tip in my opinion.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I actually fished the 9.0' and the 9.5' 6 weight Z-Axis rods side by side. The shorter rod felt stiffer in the butt section than the longer one. Since the rod was going to be used primarily for casting heavy integrated shooting heads and streamers, I felt that the extra stiffness in the back end would help. To be honest, I could choose one or the other and be happy.

Dennis
    Did you feel that the 9'6" offered any advantages over the 9'? I've assumed the answer is yes given the popularity of the 9'6" VXP as a streamer rod but then again all the Kelly Galloup designed St. Croix rods are 9 footers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Did you feel that the 9'6" offered any advantages over the 9'? I've assumed the answer is yes given the popularity of the 9'6" VXP as a streamer rod but then again all the Kelly Galloup designed St. Croix rods are 9 footers.
    The extra six inches gives some extra reach which makes for better line control. At least that will be what some will say. It is noticeable.

My main reason to go one length over the other is the casting.

My Usage for the 9’ 6” for 6 in descending order.

Winter, Spring & Fall, Deepwater Lakes: Trout, Landlock’s, Kokanee, Black Bass, Light Stripers - Streamers mostly. Wading & boat.
    Light or low water steelheading. Wading.
    Pyramid Lake NV. Wading.
    Shad. Wading
    Light Surf - Perch. Wading

It’s been in use since they were introduced, almost entirely in concert with a six weight Rio Versi-Tip system and an 8 weight shooting head system.

I'm the odd duck here, but I know I've never used it on a drift.
    Weird huh?
    TT

St. Croix has really changed their line-up of rods.

St. Croix Rods - Legend® X

Quote Originally Posted by bwf View Post
    St. Croix has really changed their line-up of rods.

St. Croix Rods - Legend® X
    My vote for world's ugliest rod! They are trying to attract the non-fly fishing pike and musky crowd. Thankfully they still make the Legend Elite and just switched to a new resin to make it lighter...

Redington's Vapen Red is pretty dang ugly. At least the legend x is all black. That red grip is hideous.

I have an old Sage RPL 9'6" 6wt. I like the 9'6" length for when I'm in a float tube or a boat. I also have a 9' 6 wt Sage XP. If I was going to be casting all day long, I'd rather use the 9' rod. If I need some extra muscle, the 9'6" is great.

I was tubing on a farm pond last summer with the 9'6" and was glad to have it when I needed to fish buggers deep. It can pull a sinking line up out the depths really well.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12