8WT Recommendations

hoyt3065

Reaction score
So I think I have my 5wt all squared away but now I'm trying to figure out what rod I want to use on my 8wt setup I'm open to some suggestions but there are also a few that i would like some feedback on...

Uses
Lake and pond use for largemouth, throwing big stuff in open so somewhat windy conditions regularly.
Chasing stripers in some of the bigger tributaries and the brackish to salt water of the bay.

I know I want a rod that will be safe for salt water becuase this is the one I will take to the beach and so on. My 5wt will handle my smaller freshwater situations. I think that most of the rods will be safe in salt water honestly..

anyway, there are a couple I was looking at mostly because they are on closeout right now and after setting up the 5, funds are running low...lol
The first being the Hardy Uniqua in a 9' which I can grab for 199. and the second being a 10' redington CPX that would run under 160. Others I am considering are the Echo ION, or Edge SW.. or maybe the greys carnivoe or XF2 salt (Although the color is way bright and kind of puts me off)..

Let's hear it!

tfrank

Reaction score
With the Bay and larger tribs for 99% of situations I like a fast rod. An 8 on the bay chasing rockfish is one place I like boomstick fast. The wind can be quite harsh and the stiff rods, if you can cast them, can help when longer casts are required.

An 8 (or even a 6) is better suited to the summer schoolies on the bay also. In the spring and fall/winter you may feel a little under gunned with an 8.

That cpx at $129 might be my first non USA rod. That seems pretty sweet. I've seen some Link's under $200 also. I think it would be almost impossible to not get $129 worth of use out of the cpx.

T

turbineblade

I use a TFO professional that I like a lot -- good medium/fast 8-weight.

Works for me :)

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
I don't know the specific rods in question, but do investigate the 10' options before you settle on a purchase. I just started playing around with a long rod, and -- what a difference an extra foot makes. I find I can throw a longer line, mend more easily, and aim better, all with less arm fatigue. As for the last two things on this list, I'm not even sure I can explain why, but there it is.

bwf

Reaction score
I have opposite reaction in that I find 10'ers to cause more fatigue then 9' footers, especially when fishing all day and on multi day trips.

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
I have opposite reaction in that I find 10'ers to cause more fatigue then 9' footers, especially when fishing all day and on multi day trips.
I don't doubt it -- that's what I would have expected, actually -- it might just be that this particular combo is balanced better or something, but I've found a 10 footer to be a total joy to fish with. Worth looking into, at least, if you're poking around and trying out various possibilities.

gt05254

Reaction score
They'll have to pry my Sage RPL+ 9'6 8wt and my Loomis NativeRun of same dimensions from my cold, dead hands! I fish two-handers more than single hand rods these days, but those two are the best single handers I've ever cast. And can cast them all day long when balanced with the appropriate reel (in my case, Orvis Battenkill LA IV or V.
Gary

hoyt3065

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I think I'm putting the 8WT on hold for now though.. Waders, boots, flies, vest, net, etc.. etc.. running out of dough:(

romanl

Reaction score
i picked up 8wt few month ago for Pike/Carp/Muske although i havent caught anything large on it yet.
SAGE Response 8wt ($395) with Sage 3880CF reel and i really really like the rod.
my budget was $500 and under for the rod i've cast a bunch: TFO BVK (2nd pick) some other TFO, and few other from Redington, Orvis, etc.
SAGE came out on top, very accurate, consistently cast most line and most accurate. what i liked most about it, is when compared to other rods it didnt hurt my wrist casting it for extended amount of time.
you should check it out
o and it will handle Salt water

carnivorousnw

Reaction score
I have a TFO TriCrX 9' 8wt. I purchased on EBAY brand new with rod tube for $180. Combined with a Echo Ion reel on Rio Gold line it's been my large fish powerhouse. It has fast action and throws large flies just fine. Recommended.

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
I use a St Croix Legend Ultra 9' 8wt as my big fly rod. Paired up with a TFO BVK III reel and 330 grain Outbound short, I can throw as big/heavy flies as I need in any wind I will be fishing in. This setup tangled with some strong Sockeye this summer and performed beautifully!

Good luck!