Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sage LL 279-2 thoughts?

2-5 in the LL's are awesome rods. I have a 279 379 and 486. Love them.

I regret selling every LL that I have owned. The 279-2 and 389-3 really hurt. I'm sure you will be pleased with the rod! I recently got a Sage SPLCA 8ft 0wt and that thing is SWEEEEEET. Definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

Chase

3. Default Re: Sage LL 279-2 thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
    Anyone have any first hand experience with the Sage LL 279 series rod. I know there is a large following of the Sage LL series rods but I am an UL guy and the 279 piques my interest.

I've fished the Orvis SFT 6'6" and it is a touch short for the areas I fish and just received a custom RDP 7'6" 2wt that will hopefully get some water time tomorrow.
    I have one. Love it! I have had it for about 10 years now and I bought it used but like new condition. I bought a small English made Battenkill LA I and loaded it with Orvis Superfine WF. Smaller diameter line. What a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthor; w608582
    What are your thoughts on the 469? Any chance you have cast a similar 6'6" or 7' Orvis SFT for comparison?
    Sorry, I got sidetracked by work and missed your post. I don't have the Orvis rod you speak of to compare with the LL 469.

The 4 weight 6'9" LL is a niche rod, IMO. It loads well up close--I mean, very close. I got it for fishing on a boulder infested bushy creek with a canopy of trees. I used to have to crawl around and sneak up behind boulders to drop a fly 6-12 feet into a pool for a spooky wild brown trout. This rod could do this. Casting over 30 feet it doesn't do so well. Well, maybe you can get 40 feet -- but the point is, it wasn't designed to cast very far.

Because of this, they guys at the fly shop where I bought it encouraged me to buy the LL473 or 4711. I tried those rods and loved them, but the 469 was the ticket for the little creek I was fishing. It's a special little rod.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

Drool...

Got it out for a couple hours later afternoon and OMG! Such a wonderful rod, light and accurate. This rod may make me a Dry Fly Snob as it turned over dries super nicely Definitely more than impressed with this rods ability to turn over a fly and at good distances also.

7. Likes yonder liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
    Got it out for a couple hours later afternoon and OMG! Such a wonderful rod, light and accurate. This rod may make me a Dry Fly Snob as it turned over dries super nicely Definitely more than impressed with this rods ability to turn over a fly and at good distances also.
    I look forward to casting these high end ultralights you are collecting. You catch anything while I was working today? If you saved me any fish I am thinking about Sunday if I can dodge the lightning. 60 degrees sounds very inviting, even if it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I look forward to casting these high end ultralights you are collecting. You catch anything while I was working today? If you saved me any fish I am thinking about Sunday if I can dodge the lightning. 60 degrees sounds very inviting, even if it rains.
    Missed a couple but didn't have any come to hand. Though there were at least 5 other fishing when I got down there.

I have a 379 and won't be parting with it anytime soonly!. Have it teamed up with Rio Trout LT WF line along with a Redington Drift 2/3 reel...they balance well together.

Am now on the hunt for a 4711 model.

Thanks to Ard and IA Trouter this will be finding a home on the Sage 279-2 LL.

250 yds of 20# backing has been ordered as well. Now the painful wait for everything to arrive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast