Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo project

Default Re: Bamboo project

Nice pics, looks like a fun project. If the seat works for your reels I'd keep it. The grip looks good and it is nice to preserve the rod a bit even if you have to re-wrap it etc. It is a cool looking seat, though I also prefer wood inserts, there is something about holding onto the history a bit.

You mentioned two tips, but only one is good shape. Do you have the tip top from the second tip? Do they match?

When you get guides check out Original Snake Brand guides. Don't require prep and the feet sit flat on the blank, ideal for bamboo. You can get stripping guides to match but I'd either preserve the original or get a similar one.
    - William

Non magnetic reel seat.

Both tips are in good condition, one is missing a snake guide.
    Details Count

Blog Entries

We never discussed 'set' are the sections straight?

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
    I'm not sure if I want black guides or silver, furrules are all getting replaced, silk and varnish finish, I have silk thread already.

I really like the idea of a rosewood reel seat insert, I already have the wood, white silk wraps with a burgundy trim wrap, no color preserver, varnish finish, saw a picture of something like that, it sort of stuck
    Remember that with bamboo they tend to be tip heavy so try to stay with a down locking reel seat and finding the lightest one is not an issue.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

All the pieces are straight, the tip sections appear to match and when flexed together have about the same radius curve, both tip tops match.
    Details Count

Blog Entries

Having strait shafts is 90% of the battle It sounds like a real nice rod, you'll be proud of it when done.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Ok, moving right along, the reel seat and cork are in very good condition so they are staying as well as the furrules, so basicly I'm just replacing/adding guides and any of the wraps, and then a few coats of varnish.

The tips are in very good condition are solidly mounted, I know they are old, but is there any reason to try and replace them? I'm afraid removing them would cause more damage then the benefit gained of installing a new tip.
    Details Count

Old tip-tops are fine unless they have a groove in them
    Run a small piece of tissue through to see if any fibers catch on any rough edges.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I ran a q-tip through and pulled no fibers, and under better light (and my glasses) the blueing is not worn at all.

The wraps are original (and a kind of ugly green) and its cool to be able to see how they finished it, one coat of varnish on the rod, install and wrap guides, another coat over everything.

The more I look at the lack of wear, the more I think this spent a lot of quality closet time in it's life.
    Details Count

9. Default Re: Bamboo project

I would stay away from old rods, unless you want to work on how to restore old rods. I would pick up and inexpensive blank from Anglers Roost and build it out. Or pay more money and talk to Dennis Stone and get a really great blank from him.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
    I would stay away from old rods, unless you want to work on how to restore old rods. I would pick up and inexpensive blank from Anglers Roost and build it out. Or pay more money and talk to Dennis Stone and get a really great blank from him.
    I actually recently finished a 3 piece 8ft 4wt, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

FYI, this is a thread about restoring an old rod

Thank you
    Details Count

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast