Bamboo project

ctshooter

Reaction score
I'm actively searching for an old bamboo rod to rebuild, are there any brands I should avoid, and are there any I should jump on or not deface as they would better be put aside as collectors items?

We have lots of "antique" type shops around I plan on searching through, don't want to mess up something that should be saved.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'd stay away from 9' rods unless you plan on cutting a 3 piece rod down to a 2 piece "banty"
They're just not that fun to fish with.. tip heavy, but shorter rods command higher dollars no matter the brand and model
Montagues and Horrocks&Ibbotson (HI) are the low end rods (for the most part) with South Bend being a half step better. Not that you shouldn't buy those brands.... just don't pay too much.
You may want to stay away from the post war Japanese rods. I fish one myself, an 8'6" rod that I rebuilt and it casts fine, but most are 9 footers with much too high of a price tag.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip Tide has said what needed to be said. I have another tip for you, before shopping in antique stores use eBay. When I say 'use' it I mean go there and search for rods made by known makers. Placing the word 'Vintage' in front of 'bamboo fly rod' may prove helpful. I tell you this because there are many fine rods out there that have been refinished over the past 60 or more years. Some may no longer bear the makers marks on the butts. When you look over rods that are identified by the seller in the listings familiarize yourself with the cork designs and hardware used by the various makers. The cork and reel seat hardware is one of the easiest ways to either identify a rod or to be able to make an educated guess.

While using the search feature on the auction site take a little time to check out some makers like:

H.L. Leonard - very unique grip on these, easy to remember.
F.E. Thomas
Gillum - Finding one of these would be something, don't do anything until you talk to a collector.
Payne
Edwards - Several family members who all built rods, the quad rods are something you'll know when you see one.
Orvis _ Since the rods have been around many have been refurbed, still the grips and hardware have remained pretty standard.
Heddon - Made thousands of rods but look at Black Beauty rods in 8' if there are any listed.

I have an old H&I 7.5 foot rod with a single tip that I got about 30 years ago. It is a great 5 weight rod, you just have to be careful to never break the tip. I'm going to give it a face lift this winter and deck it our like a Black Beauty :)

Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The cork and reel seat hardware is one of the easiest ways to either identify a rod or to be able to make an educated guess.
And the ferrules. Good rods have good ferrules.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1938 7'6" South Bend #24. 2/2 (two sections, 2 tips). Paid around $275 which I thought was a lot for a South Bend.
I was nervous as I never shell out that much for a fishin' pole. :eek:
But I was offered a decent profit for it within a week, sight unseen.

Even the low end production rods have top end models

ctshooter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information.

I cruise fleabay now and then, I would always rather a hands on inspection if possible.

Since I can't post a want to buy ad, I am looking to buy a 6'6" or 7' 1/2wt project rod/ blank/ what ever I can find to learn on, should someone have something gathering dust. I would be happy to return the favor in trade or legal tender as needed.

Thanks in advance, I'm learning a lot

williamhj

Reaction score
Is your goal to build an inexpensive bamboo rod or learn to refinish an old one? If the former you can pick up blanks for rather little cash, if the latter, I'll look forward to following your progress. I troll ebay too and think about picking up one, something about the history etc that is appealing.

p.s. I'd imagine you're already doing this, but if you spend enough time on google reading about old rods you can often find lists of good what are sometimes called 'blue collar' rods that aren't always that expensive.

ctshooter

Reaction score
I am looking to restore an old bamboo rod.

I have visions of nickel silver guides, silk thread and spar varnish.

And when done, hopefully have something functional.

Building the first one was fun, but I'm a carpenter/Luthier and something about wood and water just makes you smile.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I cruise fleabay now and then, I would always rather a hands on inspection if possible.
I understand, I just suggested you use eBay to learn the profiles of the various rods and the hardware. Many times you can find a diamond in the rough for a very good price in antique stores or at auctions. Now days auctions are full of people who have already done the research I tried to describe. They can spot a good rod even if someones kids painted it with house paint.

One on my good rods, an 8'6" Showers' was coated with red tinted shellac, the cork and all when I got it for free. I would post pictures of it now but I leave it in Colorado so that when I visit there I don't need to take rods. I left a few there :)

My point is that when you know how they were made / design, maker to maker it'll help when there's not name on the rods. Rip Tide mentioned the ferrules, real good point! Learn the difference between a rolled edge / mouth on a German Silver male ferrule and the stainless steel Swiss ferrules that the high end builders used. The GS ferrules are OK but the Super Z or Z Swiss were the high grade joints.

Just trying to help you find a gem, remember the 7'6" H&I rods are good. Those are usually 5 weights.

Ard

pszy22

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information.

Since I can't post a want to buy ad, I am looking to buy a 6'6" or 7' 1/2wt project rod/ blank/ what ever I can find to learn on, should someone have something gathering dust. I would be happy to return the favor in trade or legal tender as needed.

Thanks in advance, I'm learning a lot
The entries already posted hit all the right points in terms of what to check. I wouldn't buy a rod sight unseen unless it's from someone reputable. You'll want to assemble the rod and give it a waggle to make sure you don't hear or feel any "clicking" at the ferrules, which indicates they are loose. Also check all the glue lines for any indication of separation.

The good news/bad news is you are in the right church/pew with regards to length. Unfortunately that is the same church and pew in which everyone else wants to sit. So those rods are going to be the most wanted and therefore most expensive.

I might suggest, for your first project rod, start off buying a cheap, but solid 9' rod and converting it to a six and a half footer. Plan on stripping off all the old finish to get some practice doing the strip and then the refinish. You may also want to include a sawed off part of the bottom section to extend the blank a bit, you can mount the handle over that bottom ferrule.

Alot of the cheap 9'ers make a fun to fish shorter rod. The cheap rods were made of cheap bamboo. The cheap bamboo doesn't contain alot of power fibers, so it lacks the stiffness found in prime tonkin. So the cut down rod will be very slow action, but they can be fun to fish for panfish and smaller trout.

It would be a good project to take you over the learning curve.

have fun,

ctshooter

Reaction score
Found one, nothing fancy, not my dream rod, but good to learn on.

9' 3 piece with 2 tip sections, looks like the guides have been rewrapped but the finish is pretty decent and it's solid and still has intact labels, and it was only $30.

One of the low end Japanese rods from the 40's/50's still working on a positive ID, pictures when I get a chance, and I'll keep updating the thread so you all can let me know how to do it right.

Thanks for the help

ctshooter

Reaction score
Finally got some time to figure this out, the rod is 8.5' marked "SportKing" "M/30"

What I was able to find out is it's mid 40's early 50's, the bag has the remains of a "Montagues" label on it, and it was probably sold in a catalog outlet.

The bad, one furrel is cracked, one guide is missing, and it needs attention on the wraps. The good, it has 2 tips, one is complete, it is in over all good condition, and when I stuck my 6wt reel on it, it casts wonderful, so it's probably a 5/6 weight and it feels a lot like my 4wt which is a med/fast action.

I will probably rewrap the guides, give it a light sanding, coat of varnish, and go fish. I also now know for sure my other rod is not a 6wt, with 2 out of 3 "properly" set up rods I can most of the time make a halfway decent cast.

Yeah me :D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Sport King was sold by Montgomery Ward and I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a Monty
Without any further unforeseen issues, I'd say that your $30 was spent wisely

:frogdance

ctshooter

Reaction score
Ok, so knowing it was cheap, it's not really a collectors item, it needs some work anyway...

Any downside to stripping it down to bare and starting over?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I've done a few. I have written it out at length here too many times, I should have made a copy and stickyed it. I'll try to be brief but not leave things out.

1. Cut old wraps carefully with razor and remove all guides but leave ferrules.
2. use a regular chemical stripper to remove varnish, this may take 3 or 4 goes before it's bare.
3. You'll need to source ferrules if one is screwed up you'll need a whole set.
4. I never re-varnished any, I dipped in linseed oil - hung - dried - and buffed

Stay away from sanding a cane rod, if you feel you must do something prior to re-finish use 600 steel wool. If you plan to varnish tack it before finish is applied.

What about the reel seat and grip........... I always changed them if I stripped a rod and gave them an upgrade.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Grip and reel seat look good from here, I would leave them, the silk color is nice are you going to use the same color? Almost everyone wraps with thread now, it will be good to learn with but if you continue searching for bamboo to refurbish and find a gem you may want to choose silk. I can't easily explain the difference but you'll see it soon as you apple the second coat of varnish to the dressings.

ctshooter

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want black guides or silver, furrules are all getting replaced, silk and varnish finish, I have silk thread already.

I really like the idea of a rosewood reel seat insert, I already have the wood, white silk wraps with a burgundy trim wrap, no color preserver, varnish finish, saw a picture of something like that, it sort of stuck