What rod weight/length/action is best for nymphing

vana2

Reaction score
Help Please!

Getting back into fly tying and fishing after a lengthy absence I would appreciate some help and a recommendation for which rod to try.

Coming from a time where rod choice was pretty well limited to 7wt 8-1/2" glass I find all the rod options a little overwhelming.

What rod weight/length/action would you recommend I look at?

Most of my fishing is done in small rivers for smallmouth bass that run 10” to 14” in length.

I use nymphs 75% of the time; 15% for small streamers and wet flies; 5% hoppers and poppers and 5% dries. Hooks are typically #16-#10.

Thanks in advance.

Vana2

moucheur2003

Reaction score
9' is a good versatile choice for nymphing as well as other uses in weights 4, 5 or 6. The action is not as important in short-line nymphing as having a sensitive tip to help you detect subtle strikes, but for other uses a medium-fast rod that fits your casting style can't hurt. Some folks who do mostly short-line, high-stick nymphing prefer longer rods up to 10', but they can be less useful for other kinds of fishing. You can make do with a shorter rod too, but once you get down below about 8 1/2 feet you are giving up a bit of usefulness for high-sticking.

Last edited:
T

turbineblade

How long is a piece of rope?

You're like to get a dozen opinions, all of them valid ;).

I'm happy nymphing with any rod 3-8 weight and 7-10' long.

M

mridenour

I do LOTS of nymphing with a 9' rod. Almost every time I go out I wish I had a 10' rod. Next nymphing rod is going to be 10'. I'll probably wish I had gotten and 11' rod or maybe even a 13' rod. I was the same way when I used to own a boat.

With a 9' rod I can fish about any presentation I know how to do and that is probably the best place to start.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

How long is a piece of rope?

You're like to get a dozen opinions, all of them valid ;).

I'm happy nymphing with any rod 3-8 weight and 7-10' long.
Everyone knows a piece of rope is 9' long. Any longer than that is just called a rope. LOL!

dar

Reaction score
You said you were targeting smallmouth in the 10" - 14" range. Then, I would say a 9' 6wt should get the job done, for nymphing, small to medium size streamers and small to medium size poppers. Rod action would be up to you, but a medium/fast would be a good start.

My two smallmouth rods are a 9' 6wt St Croix Legend Ultra, 4 pc and a St Croix Legend Elite 9' 8wt 4pc.

Dave

planettrout

Reaction score
I and my kids mostly nymph fish with 9 1/2' to 10' fly rods for Trout, in #4 - #6wt. I started using longer rods in 1985 with a Scott "G" series 10', 5Wt. Here my son Michael is using a 10', 5wt. Loomis Streamdance on the East Walker River...I like the 6wts. for windy days on larger rivers in MT...

PT/TB

gretch6364

Reaction score
If you are mostly nymphing for smallies but want a rod that you can do lots of other stuff with, my vote would be a fast action 9'6" 6wt. You could go to 10' as well without losing much or even anything, really since you probably don't need to do any delicate presentations to smallies. A longer rod will be good for casting far on still water as well.