Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winston WT taken of their web site

Default Winston WT taken of their web site

Is this rod going to be avail. at all or spec. order only
    R Reese

2. Default Re: Winston WT taken of their web site

B IIt is also gone. I do see the B III LS. I guess that's their replacement for both?

Default Re: Winston WT taken of their web site

It's unfortunate but not surprising. The writing's been on the wall for some time now. Many of their best designers have left over the years, Tom Morgan, Sam Drukman, the Boo Boys...

That was such a fine rod-making company, based on high quality, tradition, great service. Now, not so much.....

4. Likes mcnerney, mojo liked this post

Winston WT trout pole is under the custom tab with lt, check it out.

Akuriko

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Here is the link

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | The Finest Fly Fishing Rods in the World

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: Winston WT taken of their web site

Just makes my JWF more special... :-)

southern Minnesota just left of the Driftless

Quote Originally Posted by akuriko View Post
    Winston WT trout pole is under the custom tab with lt, check it out.

Akuriko

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Here is the link

R.L. Winston Rod Co. | The Finest Fly Fishing Rods in the World
    I checked the link, clicked on "on line purchase" which brought up a list of on line shops. Checking the shops it varied, some did not come up with Winston Rods at all ; some had just a couple of WT rod weights and lengths that were order-able; there was one that had a complete list of WT weights and lengths but when I clicked on 8'6" 4# it would not take it, defaulting to the 1st l/w in cue. Last summer Fishwest was unloading a number of Winston WT rods as "closeout" on the site which shall remain nameless. Draw your own conclusions - but if I were in desire (I'm not) of a WT I would act now. Just my 2 cents.

2x

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I did not find that under custom shop. Hate to see that rod go, will be on the hunt
    R Reese

Since the disrespect of showing former owner Glenn Bracket (along with his dedicated staff) the door, I have been on record of saying that today's (designer-less) Winston is not the Winston you fell in love with back in the day. Further, I wrote recently that I had come upon, in my deep collection, an 8 1/2' Morgan-built Winston from circa 1980. A precursor to what became known as WT's, it is truly a hand built rod with fine components like carboloy stripping guide and small tight thread wraps perfectly finished in multiple coats of thin finish not overlapping onto the blank one iota. Todays Winston finish work by comparison looks like an upper end Asian import with heavy globs of single coat wrap finish. Only the reel seats are a little better. I will avoid extensive provocative commentary on the also-ran current tapers.

I have no inside information but if there is ANY Winston, WT or otherwise, that you have long been wishing to own, buy it now. I must say, it would pain me and the town of Twin Bridges even more, to loose this grand old brand but only a very substantial infusion of resources, human as well as financial will give it a chance of restored relevance.

12. Likes N/A, mcnerney, mojo liked this post
  13. Default Re: Winston WT taken of their web site

Maybe Shimano will buy them and move their plant to New Jersey.

Shimano, long ago, acquired G.Loomis from Gary Loomis, a pioneer in graphite rods that, back when, used to supply Winston with customized green blanks. But Shimano, unlike Winston's current ownership, kept the resources and staff at Loomis intact. Following Gary's retirement, his design protégé, World Casting Champion, Steve Rajeff, was elevated to head of rod design. Every great rod designer I have ever met was a great caster and Mr. Rajeff's heralded accomplishment have translated into elite high performance rods.

Winston owns a fine facility and enjoys a community-based employee resource. If current CA ownership is not interested in selling the company, they must bring in a team of hard core fly fishing professionals and a great rod designer with a vision and let them run the company. That vision might be different from traditional Winston products...that is a good thing, progress must be not only permitted but nurtured.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast