Featherlight In Action

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I know there's a few more fans already using them here but I just got to put mine to work.

I own some decent rods already but something seems to mystify me with the thought of fishing with a rod that costs less then 30$.

I love the action on the rod so far. Just perfect for some small stream trout. I rigged it up to throw some buggers and 3rd cast I deflowered this rods purity!

I brought my graphite stick with rigged for nymphing but failed to make it out of the trunk. I had a blast with this little yellow rod.

I'm not looking to say this is a better product then more expensive rods. It just matched well to the small streams and was a heck of a lot of fun to fish!

mikel

Reaction score
Best buy on the market! Have bought 2 for myself and ended up giving both to good friends who love them. Nice report!

superbike1

Reaction score
I know there's a few more fans already using them here but I just got to put mine to work.

I own some decent rods already but something seems to mystify me with the thought of fishing with a rod that costs less then 30$.

I love the action on the rod so far. Just perfect for some small stream trout. I rigged it up to throw some buggers and 3rd cast I deflowered this rods purity!

I brought my graphite stick with rigged for nymphing but failed to make it out of the trunk. I had a blast with this little yellow rod.

I'm not looking to say this is a better product then more expensive rods. It just matched well to the small streams and was a heck of a lot of fun to fish!
I just ordered one of these today. I read too many reviews to let a good deal pass me up. I just fish for gills and bass anyway but love to catch them on the fly. This rod hopefully will bend with the best of them. I have never owned a fiberglass rod and am looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the info and pics.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I just ordered one of these today. I read too many reviews to let a good deal pass me up. I just fish for gills and bass anyway but love to catch them on the fly. This rod hopefully will bend with the best of them. I have never owned a fiberglass rod and am looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for the info and pics.

Just don't expect this as a fast action high performance stick and you won't be let down.

Entry level glass could lead you down a whole new path

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I'm going to continue to keep this thread alive this season with some of the fish that fall victim to this rod.

I've read reports that with the right cadence of false casts this rod actually hypnotizes the fish. It sends them into a catatonic state, mouth open of course, and flies just seem to fall into the corners of their mouths!

I think this just proves that fly fishing doesn't have to be as expensive as it could be and even people on a tight budget can get out there and do some serious work...

Early ice out on my local lakes and the sunnies are just starting to become active. Took some work but I got a few before the nasty front decided to move in

There is actually an entire wooly bugger in his mouth.

People please feel free to add some of your own photos of these little gems of a rod in action

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Here's my Feather Light. It's from around 1967.
I had a 1963 model as well but I guess that I "gave" it to another forum member since he never paid me for it :mad:
They've been around for a long time. If I remember correctly, the first year of production for the Feather Lights was 1962

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Thanks for the share on a vintage featherlight, how generous you to "give" one away.

I think your signature can sum up the entire intent of this thread!

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart
Well played sir
:cool:

itchmesir

Reaction score
That sucks rip. That's why I send nothing without pay first. Everyone can seem like a saint on the interwebs. Doesn't mean they are.

Wright & McGill really liked that brown blank and green seat. They used it for a lot of models

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I kind of want to get one the new ones with the nicer cork and the wood reel seat. Mine is fairly vintage, its got a solid brass seat and it looks like poo poo to me.

pszy22

Reaction score
They are very nicely designed rods and a great value at $19.99. Couple it with a used Medalist reel and a non-named brand line and you can be fishing, and catching for under $50.

dean_mt

Reaction score
And it walks on water! (Nice photo)

I've looked at these in store more than once. At $30 it almost feels like a joke, but I've always loved the yellow of the old Wright & McGills. My dad had a spinning rod in that hue, it's an old one and I thought it was pretty special when I got to use it.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
I have owned more than a couple of the 6'6.

Have given most away to friends and family that are starting out. I think I still have one with an inexpensive reel and some old peach Cortland on it.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
just now looking at mine..think I'll take'er to the lake tomorrow. Fine fine rod really. Muchh nicer EC than when I was a youngster. I think mine handles a 6wt line pretty good,,maybe a tad better than a 5..and might even toss a 7 alright.