Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

I just returned from a fishing trip where lots of streamers were thrown. I was testing some new streamer leaders so I continued to increase the size of the streamer as the day went one. I was using a 9'-6" 7 wt Sage One. I am sure there are better Streamer rods out there, but I will say that I was very impressed. On short casts, it was very accurate and it handled the long cast like a champ. The leader I was throwing was short 36” fluorocarbon furled leader with 18” of 12lb. Fluoro ending in a small micro swivel. The fisher than attaches only 12”-14” of tippet to the swivel. I was truly impressed how well this leader system turned big nasty flies. We got into many big browns yesterday on both white and brown articulated streamers. We were fishing a tail-water, the water was raised the morning we arrived so the color was very off and the fish were hunkered down. We were able to coax many a big browns out of the depths with large streamers. Some days you have to leave the dry fly’s in the box.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
  3. Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

Thanks for all the feedback!! I have a winston biiix 9' 7 wt and really like it just looking for another rod in 6 wt to add to the arsenal for strreamer browns and smallmouth bass.

Just a litte up of this thread ...

Anyone using switch rods (11 or 12') with articulated flies (swing technique) ?

I plan to use it on a big spanish river with big browns.

5. Likes eastfly66 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ben664 View Post

I'm using a 12' #5 2 hander. Short strips & twitches , read the "Streamer blog"....browns like to chase dinner

Part I of III:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...en-part-1.html

7. Likes ben664 liked this post
  8. Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

Im using a two hander. Its a 3wt meiser switch with a 325 grn tonic head and poly leaders. I can spey and overhead cast with this setup. I love it. With the poly leaders i can tackle just about any situation i get into.

Ben

9. Likes eastfly66 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster1977 View Post
    Im using a two hander. Its a 3wt meiser switch with a 325 grn tonic head and poly leaders. I can spey and overhead cast with this setup. I love it. With the poly leaders i can tackle just about any situation i get into.

Ben
    Hey Ben, what do you think the actual sink rate is for those poly leaders in moving water ? Any tips ?

Over The years I've Cast many Streamers mainly on 9ft-9Ft 6" Rods mainly in 6 or 7 Weights & Articulated ones in Alaska on A 8Wt 9Ft Rod & I feel as Fred has mentioned either a 9Ft 6" or a 10 Ft also in a 8Wt or perhaps a 9Wt would do the job a lot better & it's up to The Individual really what Breed of Rod however there are some Quality Rods made on Korean Blanks I wouldn't again entertain.
    Brian

12. Likes eastfly66 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ben664 View Post

Since you are resurrecting this thread, here you go.

I used to fish a 11 foot 6 weight switch with a 375 grain 20 foot Skagit head. Along with a 10 foot MOW style tip, you should be able to swing those articulated streamers fine.

It's an effective way to fish.

Dennis

14. Likes eastfly66, ben664 liked this post

I use a 12'6" 5wt. Z-Axis Spey rod, 390 grain skagit comp. for swinging big uglys, way more fun for swinging then a SH rod IMO I use airflo replacement tips in intermediate, sink 3 & sink 7, they're 12ft long. For monster streamers I'll use 5ft of T-8 instead.

BTW guys why has no one mentioned the GLX streamdance by loomis in a 6 weight??!! It's an amazing streamer rod and an incredible all around 6!!

16. Likes eastfly66 liked this post
  17. Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    Hey Ben, what do you think the actual sink rate is for those poly leaders in moving water ? Any tips ?

In moving water i know that the ratings are a bit off so i err on the side of heavier. If i start to snag bottom alot i just switch to a lighter tip. Ive gone as heavy as a 10 ft section of t8 on bigger water.
    Your fly will have some bearing on which tip to use too.

Ben

18. Likes eastfly66 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast