Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take Care

Default Re: Take Care

As I recall... Wasn't there some disagreement between bees wax and paraffin wax? I "think" the outcome was paraffin is the recommended, or at least most recommended, wax to use?
    Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

And YES... the answer is always, "It depends".

When I purchased my Orvis Access rod last year,the salesman told me not to use anything on the ferrules.My Orvis Clearwaters have a different style of ferrule and on those I was told to use Pledge,not specifically on the ferrule but as an overall cleaner/protectant.

Blog Entries

Some do, some don't, myself I've never waxed and one rod has been fished hard for 35 years.......... Beyond wax, just keep the rod in it's tube when not in use and you'll have a hard time breaking it.
    To see all the ways that guys break their rods have a look through this thread; The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hope your still fishing it 35 years from now,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes glacierjohn, shortyb liked this post

When in doubt, there's always the manufacturer's recommendation...

Grey's Fly Fishing - Rod Care

I have waxed ferrules...only some...only sleeve-type...and only on occasion. For my fishing, I believe keeping the mating ferrule surfaces clean is most important. As someone stated above, ferrule wax or other "lube" is a great vehicle for grit.

A very thin smear of wax is ample. You're just lubricating the surface, not spackling the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Some do, some don't, myself I've never waxed and one rod has been fished hard for 35 years.......... Beyond wax, just keep the rod in it's tube when not in use and you'll have a hard time breaking it.
    To see all the ways that guys break their rods have a look through this thread; The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hope your still fishing it 35 years from now,

Ard
    I grew up with fiberglass rod with metal ferrules and learned, right or wrong, to rub the ferrule against my nose. I didn't see the need when I got my first sleeve ferrule rod, a Fenwick Ferulite. I also was never told one way or the other with my Scott rods. So far I have fished that Fenwick for 40 years and the Scott's for 20 without problem, knock wood.

Does Scott, Sage or Winston say anything in their owners info?

Orvis, TFO, and ST Croix too ,,,(i believe st croix does) provide wax when you purchase a rod. I do put a minute film on mine but check it for grit constantly. I de-wax and re-film about ever other fishing trip. But hey, I clean the exteriors of my rods after EVER trip anyways. I'm a fanatic about taking care of outdoor gear,,,having some guns that except for expected gun blue were look the same as they did when I got them 30 years ago. And I use the stufffin' out of them. Proof you don't have to beat your gear up to get the work out of it.

My nephew had a Scientific Anglers outfit and his sections worked loose. He never waxed. I can't say that caused it ,,,but,,,,,

add on...on second thought i think its st croix that gives you wax and tfo doesnt...i'm really just not positive now. I KNOW Orvis does.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

I use a good car wax (100% carnauba) usually once or twice a season, whole rod.
    If the rod seems or feels dirty a quick wipe down with pledge and dry it stick it into rod bag and tube. Pledge does well in repelling water and dust.
    There was another thread on using q tips to clean around the guides.
    Wayne
    Can one learn everything about fly fishing a lifetime?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12