Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Orvis Helios vs Helios 2

How do these two rods compare? A friend thought the Helios 2 was a "better" saltwater rod. Appreciate your comments Dave

Default Re: Orvis Helios vs Helios 2

Same stuff different year. Most of it is placebo effect and marketing mumbo jumbo. If you want to spend more money just to "feel" a slight difference, go for it. It's your money.

If orvis's claim is true that the H2 tracks better and it is a better fishing rod, then they majorly goofed up selling people H1 as a premier rod. You can not tell me that orvis made that much of a technological breakthrough in such a short time. I think orvis's market share is stagnant, and they think that they can sale the H2 to the same orvis loyalists, who bought the H1. So, why not change up a few things, write up a marketing campaign and have at it. Orvis is not the only one doing this same game.

3. Likes labtrout liked this post

I think the H2 really does have more reserve power than the ZG Helios, and better durability, and is a bit lighter (although the original Helios was already pretty darn light). So it's a meaningful improvement, and it helps Orvis keep pace with improvements in the competitor's offerings.

But if I already had a ZG Helios, and if I liked it well enough, I don't think the improvement is amazing enough to be worth going out and spending hundreds more on an upgrade of the same size and weight.

5. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post

A couple of sweetandsalt's posts in another thread regarding this very question on 5wt.s (in that he seems to have the inside track into the various rod companies).

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    The original H and the newer H2 are entirely different in their tapers...different designer in fact. Funny though; I have cast a bunch of both from #4 to #9 and fond none of them wanted to be over lined at all. OK, maybe for very short shots but that is not the Helios design intent. I do believe some of the H2's are amongst the best rods Orvis has built since their heyday in the mid 80's.
    Orvis experienced a higher breakage % than anticipated...especially in the tip sections of original Helios. Also, there were observations, particularly among larger line size users, of inadequate reserve power in many of the tapers butt sections. Both of these issues were addressed in H2 by a new designer they brought in. Helios rods, 1 and 2, are not fast rods. The mid-flex is distinctly medium...not slow like full flexing Orvis rods but medium and the tip-flex tend toward medium fast. A poor comparison but an H2 #5 tip-flex cast beside a similar sized ONE has far more tip travel and observably slower recovery. A nice rod though with plenty of new found power.
    B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

7. Likes mcnerney, bocast liked this post

Hey, that's what I would have said!

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

The latest Orvis fly fishing guide podcast addressed this very issue.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishin...s-the-fly-box/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, that's what I would have said!
    Sorry about that, should have let you say your own thing. Just call me Knucklehead Smiff for passing along your words.......Just don't ask me to sit on your lap when I do it.

B.E.F.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  13. Default Re: Orvis Helios vs Helios 2

I would cast both of them if you have the opportunity. They are different rods not some marketing spin

14. Likes fly_guy12955 liked this post

Wait for a couple of years the H3 is going to be even better. Rod manufacturers make it sound like you can buy your way into being a better fly fisherman. It's mostly bs. If you are looking for a good fishing rod buy a mid price medium action rod and go fishing. Running water and trout will make you a better fishermen......not H1....H2...... Or H3......

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
    .....Rod manufacturers make it sound like you can buy your way into being a better fly fisherman. It's mostly bs.

I get what you're saying boomslang, but have you seen this data below?

Booooomslangggg.....

You need new fishing gearrrrr,
    the laaatest, the greaaatest,
    you want to buy....buy.....buy.
    Buy new fishing gearrrrr, you
    will catch more fish booooomslang.
    More fishhh, bigger fishhh, more,
    bigger, buy, buy, buyyyyyyy.

If that doesn't work send him to Room 101 in the Ministry of Love. First we'll heal him.

B.E.F.

18. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast