Radian vs Zenith.....

lazzaro

Reaction score
I'm bying new 9 foot 5 weight rod for casting dries in the wind but also some small streamers- it should be ,,do it all" rod. Which one should I take Radian or Zenith in 5 weight?

ts47

Reaction score
Hi Lazzaro,

Welcome to the forum! :welcomean

The first thing you can do to help us help you is to complete your profile. There are folks here that fish all over and some that likely fish the waters you want to fish. The more we know about you, the better we will be able to help.

The second thing you should do is to tell us what type of fish you are hoping to catch with this rod and where if it is not already in your profile. Sometimes, we have better suggestions to make.

The obvious first answer is to cast both and see which one you like the best. Is this something you can do? Why did you choose those two rods instead of say, the Helios 2 or NRX LP?

A short answer based on my priorities is to buy the Zenith. It's cheaper! ;) I have done some limited casting of both rods. The Zenith to me (I'm no expert) seems better suited to those who tend to cast heavier flies more frequently (nymph rigs and streamers). I think the Radian tends more toward those that cast lighter flies. Though both rods are highly competent "all arounders" and are two of the best of the best.

Todd

scoutm

Reaction score
there have been a couple 5wt shootout articles published recently. I believe links have been posted for both of them. I you search on "shootout" I'm sure you will find them. Great information in both reviews.

lazzaro

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have opportunity to cast both rods, but I've tried Zenith in 6 weight and I and I really liked it, although I don't like the fact that they are made in Korea.

It is said that the Radian is as fast as Scott S4 so it sould be nice rod for streamers and casting a little bit further.

I live in Icealnd so the rod should have power for landing 12lb trout but cannot be stiff. 5 weight will be enough, some guys are using even 4 weight and it is ok.

I have also ONE 796 so the new rod should complete nice with it.:cool:

Nymphs, small streamers, some dries- this order.

ts47

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have opportunity to cast both rods, but I've tried Zenith in 6 weight and I and I really liked it, although I don't like the fact that they are made in Korea.

It is said that the Radian is as fast as Scott S4 so it sould be nice rod for streamers and casting a little bit further.

I live in Icealnd so the rod should have power for landing 12lb trout but cannot be stiff. 5 weight will be enough, some guys are using even 4 weight and it is ok.

I have also ONE 796 so the new rod should complete nice with it.:cool:

Nymphs, small streamers, some dries- this order.
I think my first answer was the right one. Go with the Zenith. It will feel more like your ONE rod more than the Radian will. The sintrix material in the Zenith should also handle the stress of bigger fish quite well. This is just my opinion. You're asking a question that almost has no wrong answer.

I own a few of the Zeniths, but have only limited experience casting two of the Radians. So please take my advice for what it's worth. There may be others out there who will answer with better insight.

Hope this helps,

Todd

Edit: I should have said this above. I own the Zenith 6 and 5 weights. If you were happy with the 6, you will also be happy with the 5. I really like both rods!

runningfish

Reaction score
I haven't cast the Radian yet, but I've cast Helios 1 and Helios 2 (just last weekend) and Sage One. For me the Zeniths fit my casting better than all that I've tried. I have 4wt and 8wt Zeniths, soon I will have the 6wt when TS47 send me his 2nd 6wt Zenith for free.:D

czando

Reaction score
I own the radian and have fished the zenith and for me I think the radian rocks and the zenith felt a bit mechanical to me. The zenith casts fine but seemed to not have the intangible magic that certain rods have. I also only buy us made products when possible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ts47

Reaction score
I haven't cast the Radian yet, but I've cast Helios 1 and Helios 2 (just last weekend) and Sage One. For me the Zeniths fit my casting better than all that I've tried. I have 4wt and 8wt Zeniths, soon I will have the 6wt when TS47 send me his 2nd 6wt Zenith for free.:D
Hey Runningfish,

I just bought a 9' 8wt. How do you like yours? BTW... If you scroll down a little in the rod thread, there's a guy asking for info on the 9' 8wt Zenith. You should answer my and his question there.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I own the radian and have fished the zenith and for me I think the radian rocks and the zenith felt a bit mechanical to me. The zenith casts fine but seemed to not have the intangible magic that certain rods have. I also only buy us made products when possible!

I tend to agree with this comment. The Zenith has a feel to it more like a tool. It does everything you ask it to with precision. It also has a great feel for touching the bottom, fish strikes, etc. it does an incredible job of transmitting these to the handle! The Radian is more of a rod with a certain (large) amount of finesse and also a pleasure to cast. I haven't fished the Radian though. I've only cast it.

I think think those that tend toward a fast action rod, like myself, tend to prefer the Zenith. Those that like a slower action like the Radian - even though the Radian is not a slow(er) action rod.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I'll also ad the Scott Radian thread currently just above this one has a lot of good information about both rods that likely the op should read. The comparisons were certainly more detailed and eloquent than anything I can offer.

runningfish

Reaction score
Ts47 you don't need to ask me about the 8wt, you have the whole line up.
I should be the one asking you. Anyway, you'll love the 890 like the rest of your line up. Try to cast underline with it and you'll know what I am talking about.

sorry for hijacking this thread OP.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hey Runningfish,

I just bought a 9' 8wt. How do you like yours? BTW... If you scroll down a little in the rod thread, there's a guy asking for info on the 9' 8wt Zenith. You should answer my and his question there.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I tend to agree with this comment. The Zenith has a feel to it more like a tool. It does everything you ask it to with precision. It also has a great feel for touching the bottom, fish strikes, etc. it does an incredible job of transmitting these to the handle! The Radian is more of a rod with a certain (large) amount of finesse and also a pleasure to cast. I haven't fished the Radian though. I've only cast it.

I think think those that tend toward a fast action rod, like myself, tend to prefer the Zenith. Those that like a slower action like the Radian - even though the Radian is not a slow(er) action rod.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I'll also ad the Scott Radian thread currently just above this one has a lot of good information about both rods that likely the op should read. The comparisons were certainly more detailed and eloquent than anything I can offer.

Fast?? The Hardy Zenith? I have 5. I love them but I don't think of them as fast. Maybe I've beat the flats with an NRX for too long and my speed setting are all out of whack?? I was also playing around with a Method the other day so compared to that.... a Zenith is your grandpa's rod.

FWIW- If you want a SWEET rod, pick up a 1-piece before they are gone (discontinued). The 1-piece 4wt makes the 4-piece one feel like a Bass Pro rod. That is a sweet little stick.

lazzaro

Reaction score
For me Zenith is just a fast rod, where ONE is faster, Method super fast and TCX super extra fast.

I don't like ONE in 5wt but in 7 weight it is the best rod I've ever used.

I'm really interested in Radian 5wt, but the question is will this rod do in some wind with some small streamers like Montana on #8. Big trouts?

There are some mixed reviews about Radian: someone said that this rod is fast in positive way and capable of casting quite far with no problem, similar to Zenith, streamers- no problem, where another person said that Radian is rather dry fly rod.

How about the blank of Radian? Walls are thin or thick?I don't want another brittle rod. In Zenith walls are pretty thick, where in ONE not really.

The best rod I have ever used in 5 weight was Gloomis GLX streamdance, real unviersal rod. Is it Radian similar to Glx Streamdance?

ts47

Reaction score
For me Zenith is just a fast rod, where ONE is faster, Method super fast and TCX super extra fast.

I don't like ONE in 5wt but in 7 weight it is the best rod I've ever used.

I'm really interested in Radian 5wt, but the question is will this rod do in some wind with some small streamers like Montana on #8. Big trouts?

There are some mixed reviews about Radian: someone said that this rod is fast in positive way and capable of casting quite far with no problem, similar to Zenith, streamers- no problem, where another person said that Radian is rather dry fly rod.

How about the blank of Radian? Walls are thin or thick?I don't want another brittle rod. In Zenith walls are pretty thick, where in ONE not really.

The best rod I have ever used in 5 weight was Gloomis GLX streamdance, real unviersal rod. Is it Radian similar to Glx Streamdance?
There's a comparison to to GLX in that other thread I mentioned above. The comparison was with the Zenith though. The Radian is considered slower than the Zenith and GLX. There was also a comment about the Zenith handling wind better.

I'm really beginning to talk about rods I have little or no experience with. You should REALLY read that other thread. I think you will find it very helpful.

Just in case, the thread is the one stating that the "Scott Radian is nit a boat rod!" Yeah, he really spelled it that way! ;)

Hope this helps,

Todd

czando

Reaction score
I did and could not figure out how to edit the title;)

labradorguy

Reaction score
We knew what you meant Bro. It's cool. :D

I'd like to play around with that TCX. If it's faster than the Method..... WOW. That's off the charts fast.

Last edited:

lazzaro

Reaction score
What a surprise!Yesterday I had opportunity to cast Radian 5 weight with S.A GPX 5 weight line.

For me it is still fast action rod. I would say Radian is as fast as Zaxis but not so stiff? In some way it reminds me Sage ONE 590, where ONE is (a lot?) faster and stiffer of course.

It was quite easy for me to cast it 60 feet with some streamer.:cool:

I wouldn't say that Radian 5 weight is mainly dry-fly rod, it is a lot faster rod than Scott G2, Winston WT or even Boron IIIX

US made, craftsmanship is superb.

Now I should try Zenith in 5 weight but it can be problem becasue it is not very popular rod where I live. I have Zenith in 6 weight but 5 weight can be a diffrent story. I can tell you that I've lost some good fish due to Zenith 6wt stiffness. :mad:

glacierjohn

Reaction score
What a surprise!Yesterday I had opportunity to cast Radian 5 weight with S.A GPX 5 weight line.

For me it is still fast action rod. I would say Radian is as fast as Zaxis but not so stiff? In some way it reminds me Sage ONE 590, where ONE is (a lot?) faster and stiffer of course.

I wouldn't say that Radian 5 weight is mainly dry-fly rod, it is a lot faster rod than Scott G2, Winston WT or even Boron IIIX

Now I should try Zenith in 5 weight but it can be problem becasue it is not very popular rod where I live. I have Zenith in 6 weight but 5 weight can be a diffrent story. I can tell you that I've lost some good fish due to Zenith 6wt stiffness. :mad:
That is my experience as well. I had a Sage Z Axis and One traded both for a Radian, all 9' five weight. To me, a guy coming from years of Scott Gs and other medium action rods, the Radian is super fast, much closer to the One than the G. Maybe as you get up in the fast action rods it is at the slower end, but it is far far from a medium.

ts47

Reaction score
I did and could not figure out how to edit the title;)

No worries... Just having a little fun with the typo [poke]

I've done the same thing and have seen others do it too. Some of them have been quite funny! Once there's a typo in the title, there's no way to change it. :)

Todd

kuch

Reaction score
This thread has turned a little towards a Radian vs. One thread. I recommend casting the rods in the respective models. I loved the Radian in 590 but did not care for the 4wts. The 6 was also nice. On the other hand I did not care for the ONE in the 590. It felt way too stiff. Now in the 4 and 6 weight ONEs the stiffness was not there and I loved both the 486 and the 690/ 691 models. It always surprises me how the same model can feel like a different rod in different sizes. Bottom line is I think each rod/ model deserves to be compared in the weight/ length rather than just comparing the Radian to the Zenith or ONE

burk48237

Reaction score

I use to rep Hardy and the 6 weight Zenith while a good rod never impressed me. To me the 4 and 5 weights are the sweetspot in that series. The 9-5 is still the best all-around 9-5 I've ever fished. It just seems to do everything well.

Now speaking of 6 weights, the Proaxis (Hardys SW sintrex) is finest heavy duty six I've ever fished. I used it primarily for smallmouth and as a streamer rod, and it would do anything any seven would do, but it felt like a six when you hooked a fish. I miss that rod.