tfo bvk/croix imperial??

angelo1987

Reaction score
Getting my clearwater 11 repair right now so its going to be my back up with 5wt.

Ive narrow my choices down for a new 9ft 5wt rod

TFO BVK 9ft 5wt for $240.00
ST. CRIOX IMPERIAL 9ft 5wt for $240.00

Both are fast action rods just the bvk is .1 oz lighter than imperial.

It will be all around rod. Panfish ,trout and bass mainly lakes and ponds.

On my phone its hard typing, anyone use these rods pros/cons?
Thanjs

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
May I add that I agree TFO.BVK is fast but Imperial is more medium fast. And rather different feeling rods. I think it might be a couple dollars more but throw ECHO3 into the mix. Take a look at Rise Level too and remember BVK is sans tube. How about Mystic and Beulah?

angelo1987

Reaction score
ah, I thought the imperial was a fast action rod while looking at the st.croix site. Im definitely looking for a fast action, my clearwater medium action is just a bit slow for my casting stroke.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
'Fast,' or 'slow,' actions are not standardized. Rather, each company designates these modifiers to each line of rods, or to their company philosophy, as they see fit.

All that said, The SC Imperial is a fast action, and is considered fast by most standards (there are faster rods to be sure, but the SCI falls 'in the middle' of most fast action rods). It does feature a softer (slower) tip section, which allows for more forgiveness (than a rod that is fast through the tip) at the hookset as well as when fighting fish. it also allows the caster to 'feather' some casts or employ other more advanced casting techniques.

On the other hand, in general, softer actions aren't as accurate at the extreme performance levels, particularly in terms of distance. But having owned a SCI 9 ft. 5 wt. for the last 7 years, I can tell you that most of us can't really discern the difference. Personally, (and I'm not an expert caster) I can regularly hurl flies 70-80 feet and keep it inside a hula hoop (those are standard sizes, right?) with this rod if I choose to do so. So unless you're planning to hit Frisbees at 100 ft. I think the rod will do just fine. Which is probably why the rod does so well in the Yellowstone Anglers Shoot-outs year after year.

Ok, 'nuff said, I gotta take someone out to dinner before I lose my fishing privileges for the rest of the year.

Peace.

itchmesir

Reaction score
My Imperial is the only non-glass rod I still use... It's a highly versatile rod and definitely fast... I'd pick an imperial over any other graphite rod on the market... Well priced... High performance and made in the US... Tough to go wrong

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I regard the St.Croix Elite and even more so BankRobber as being their fast rods but we have a few Imperials around the house and like them fine (but they are an 8 1/2'/#8 and 9'/#9). Certainly far from slow but there is plenty of upper taper flex there. But not like that mushy Clearwater. And, not that it matters, I believe it is the Legend Elite that Anderson gives high grades to but it is too late in the evening for me to Fact Check. Still, check out the Rise Level series #5 and I guess the Elite too (I have a 9'/#4 and 9'/#9...and I like the #9 better).

ts47

Reaction score
Some good suggestions here. I can't add any more. What I can offer is a little insight to the BVK and St Croix Imperial.

I like fast action rods - Zenith, BVK and Imperial. The BVK, for me, is too fast in the 5wt size. It would handle a 6wt line though and may be a better bass rod for that reason. The Imperial IS a fast action rod. However, it has a slightly softer tip that does a better job of protecting tippets. It still has a strong butt section though. It may be a better trout rod. In my opinion, it is a better rod. It depends on your stroke though and how it feels in your hand.

I can't offer any insight on the other rods. I've heard and read really good things about the Mystic Reaper. Sweetandsalt is one of those guys that if he makes a recommendation, it is always a good one to consider.

Again, it is what feels good in your hand/matches your stroke that should be the final deciding factor.

Hope this helps,

Todd

angelo1987

Reaction score
Thanks the input. I called cabelas they seem to have imperial and bvk rods in stock Unfortunately, they dont sell mystics so, i wont have the opportunity to test it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with TFO.BVK. They are fast and (we have 2 of them, my wife's #8 and I have a 6...the 8 is better) ALL BVKs like a line a 1/2 size heavy and with an aggressive taper. If Hardy's Zenith is a fast action rod, then so is the Imperial. But I have 2 Zeniths and they are medium fast which really is better for most trout fishing than specialized fast rods like ONE fir example (my favorite 5-weight). Mystic Reaper (my wife has the #6) is fast. Like BVK, a bargain fast rod and like BVK a little raw in the taper transitions. Owning one, I find it hard to understand the love for BVK despite Anderson's accolades. But definitely functional and a good deal (despite the lack of tube?). Truly fast action rods (almost everybody really prefers medium fast like Zenith, Radian, Z-Axis...) are easy to design but very, very, very hard to design well! Fast action is not stiff; it is super quick recovering with maximum response time. Incredibly sensitive to slight inputs and demanding to cast well. Have you ever driven a performance car faster than 100mph? You know how fast things come up on you at such speed? Two hands on the wheel and no blinking, total engagement with driving; no radio, no cell phone, no conversation. Fishing fast action rods like ONE, Method even more so is like that but without the danger. Total engagement with your stroke timing and symmetry, absolutely zero slack introduced during the hauls from your line hand. But very rewarding as super high line speed, bullet shaped loops facilitate remarkable aerialized line manipulation and on water adjustment mends are crisply and precisely executable for ultimate control. Most anglers do not want or cannot fish this way; most prefer a rod with some good degree of compliancy even softness in the tip. The deeper into the rod the tip flexes the more time it takes to recover to straight. Yes, excellency in design and low mass in the tip accelerates recovery rate; NRX and Radian would be two of few examples. Recovery rate, and here is where fast gets interesting, minimizes energy robbing and line control diminishing oscillation in the rods tip section. Oscillation is the action that generates those little waves in the shape of your loop that are hard to dial out. A little like when you go over a series of bumps in the pavement and your Toyota motions up and down as the suspension recovers from the undulating input but your BMW takes t sure footedly in stride, much more controlled and communicative. Same with well designed fast rods. Still, after fishing Method all day out of the drift boat and marveling at its presentation capabilities, if, after dinner, we have the energy to check out the dusk caddis hatch, I'll likely grab the Zenith for some nice, relaxing, intuitive fishing with less focus demanded of my post cocktail hour self.

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hey Angelo.

You have to remember that sometimes you have to take what Salt says with a grain of salt.... He's been fishing ONE and Method so much that his artificial horizon is on a bit of a tilt. :D :D

Most of us mere mortals consider Zenith and the Imperial as "fast" rods. The general consensus is that they fall somewhere in the middle of that overly broad group.

That Imperial is a really sweet stick and they are tough rods too. In the Middle Keys, I saw a couple of them bent into shapes that no fly rod should ever twisted into and they just bounced right back. My big game rods are St. Croix and they are as tough as nails too. Great company.

As an aside: I'm a Method junkie too and it doesn't seem fair to her to group her in with all the Zeniths, Radians, NRXs, and Imperials.... lol. Perhaps it's time to add a new category above fast? Uber-fast? :)

noreaster

Reaction score
I love my Imperial 4 wt. Its 7 foot 6. I find it fast and has power reserve. I even overweight the line with a 5 wt SA Mastery textured line ad still is medium fast. Has worked great for me. Can't speak to theTFO but my buddy has the Lefty Kreh and it seems slow in comparison.