4wt superfine glass reel question

repperson29

Reaction score
I may be purchasing this fine rod after reading all of the reviews but am unsure on what reels match up well with it. Someone suggested a slightly heavier reel in the 5oz range. I have the trout II which weighs in slightly above that and I already love the reel.

Any other suggestions?

Ryan

runningfish

Reaction score
Ryan,
This probably not the exact rod that you are after but still pretty close. When I got the loaner superfine glass 3wt (2 1/4oz) and 5wt (2 3/4oz), I had the Orvis Battenkill III (3.2oz), Orvis Access MA III (4.6oz) and Orvis Access MA IV (5.30z) on them.

With the Battenkill III, the 3wt balance exceptionally well on my finger w/ or w/o the line out the tip; I've never had a rod and reel that balance so well.
The 5wt Glass is a bit tippy, the balance is on the winding check, cast great but you'll feel the swing weight more.

The Orvis Access MA III (4.6oz) balanced well with the 5wt but a tad heavy for the 3wt glass. Nice balance less swing weight.

The Orvis Access MA IV (5.3oz) shifted the weight to the rod butt and made the swing weight a bit less on that 5wt glass.

I intentionally not asking for the 4wt Glass because I would immediately buy one since she is the prettiest among the 3 sisters. However, I would assume that she would balance well with 3~4oz reel (empty)

jastrout

Reaction score
I have gotten possibly alittle anal on reel/rod balance points as some folks like the balance on finger on winding check ,'others an inch forward and others inch back. Basically if I can get the fly near the fish so be it.However to your question the 7' 6" 4 wght is Princess of the trio BUT the other two are not step sisters. I have the 805 and many hardcore fiberglass guys think it so very versatile and perfect to transition from graphite to .glass.This is an awesome series. If I was buying new reel for the Orvis 7'6" 4 : New CFO II, or Ross Gunnison II weight is right and looks fit perfect. I have the previous CFO II and matches well as does Hardy Lightweight . Glass rods do better with reels erred on tad heavy vs opposite.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking CFO III or IV if you can bear the weight :) If you can swing a vintage Hardy LRH in good condition it too would be a fine reel for a light glass rod. I like big reels, I once tried a Hardy Flyweight for a St. Croix 7' 3 weight and the reel was so tiny that my eyes could never take it seriously. For reference, I use a Featherweight on a 3 weight 6'6" bamboo and it seems about prefect os the previous post suggesting the CFO II may be a real good match being the same size as a Featherweight I think.

Sounds like you're going to be enjoying your fishing just a wee bit more this coming season Ryan :)

Ard

runningfish

Reaction score
+++++ on the Orvis CFO reels especially the ones that made in England.
They are heavier but really really sweet and would be perfect for glass rods.
I wanted a mint condition one for my Kabuto 7033 but I kept losing in the Ebay bidding.

these go to 11

Reaction score
I've held a Superfine Glass 4wt with the Able made CFO on it, and it was really, really nice. I would probably buy a CFO III if money were no object. I think the 4wt is in my future, but I'll probably throw my BBS II on it to begin with.

repperson29

Reaction score
Might have found a decent deal on the Ross gunnison on flea bay. If not I may have to settle to spend more for a CFO :)

Ryan

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
You will dig that CFO if you don't get the Gunnison. I have one on my 3 weight SFG, also one on another SFT and those reels are just made for that lineup of rods. The Battenkill looks nice on there too but is a bit too light to balance quite where I like it, the CFO is just right. they are awfully pretty too

repperson29

Reaction score
Ended up snatching a lightly used England made cfo3 off of the auction site for a good price.

Now I just have to wait 5 months!

Ryan