Musky rod advice

ruthead

Reaction score
Got a line on a Sage Launch 9 ft 9 wt in my price range ($100.00). Whats everyones thoughts on that for a musky rod?? I know most are saying a 10 wt but curious of anyone had personal experience with this rod.

Also have available an older Loomis GL3 9 ft 10wt. How would these compare?

I realize these are both older model rods but my budget dictates I stay around the $100.00 range.

chuckpolzin

Reaction score
I have a sage XI3 10 weight and you can find them on closeout pretty cheaply compared to MSRP.

Best value new rod IMHO is an Echo Ion in a 10 weight --- I have this for backup and it does just fine as a primary rod too.

drifter84

Reaction score
Well to be different on the Musky rod. I live on a Musky lake in Canada and have the opportunity to fish for them a lot. I have used a 9wt & 10wt, a 12wt on those real windy days. My favourite rod and I am sure I will get some feedback on this, my day to day rod is 12ft 8wt double hander, its for the fun and the rod can handle the big ones. I fish out of a boat along the weed lines and off the points, I use the regular saltwater flies & streamers, even deer hair mice, the mice seem to entice more Pike

At my age I have tried a lot of different rods and tackle and enjoy playing around with different ideas. One thing I sued years ago was the small E string from my guitar for a leader, worked well.

I have 11 Spey rod blanks and all the cork, reel seats and guides I am ready to build on, well over the next 2 years, one is a 15 foot 10wt 3 pce and a true Euro action.

Just my take on the question, I always say there is the norm to follow and then there is "what makes you feel good", I follow what makes me feel good.

Not much help I guess but another opinion.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
.... My favourite rod and I am sure I will get some feedback on this, my day to day rod is 12ft 8wt double hander, its for the fun and the rod can handle the big ones. I fish out of a boat along the weed lines and off the points, I use the regular saltwater flies & streamers, even deer hair mice, the mice seem to entice more Pike
First of all welcome to the forum. You aren't the first one to try the two hander route. Are you overhead casting out of the boat?

burk48237

Reaction score
I'm leery of a 9 weight as a main Musky rod, the flys are BIG, and you don't cast them as much as launch them. Also with streamers 400 grain heads are pretty much the norm. I haven't done a ton of it, but on bigger water like St Claire where I've chased them, wind is also the norm.

TFO has come out with a Musky series that are new, they retail for $320. I would't hesitate to look for a used 10 weight. Older rods that came in two piece can be had pretty easily on eBay and a lot of shops sell used. As far as newer rods, a TFO Mangrove, Reddington Predator, or Greys SW made good mid-priced 10 weights ($250-350 new).

django

Reaction score
Is a musky the same as a pike? Have tried pike several times and its pretty tough work with a 9ft 9wt imo.

Drifter84 I like your idea of using a DH 8wt though (guitar string tippet optional though)

Martin

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Is a musky the same as a pike? Have tried pike several times and its pretty tough work with a 9ft 9wt imo.

Drifter84 I like your idea of using a DH 8wt though (guitar string tippet optional though)

Martin
They are similar Martin, but large musky tend to be caught on very large flies. Often well in excess of 8 in and constructed of air resistant deer hair and huge hackle. But as the saying goes, elephants eat peanuts too. Many of the musky landed where I live are caught by accident by crappie fisherman using minnows on spinning gear.

Last edited:

oldskewl808

Reaction score
Ah, Crappie... The EF Hutton of fish. Mention the name in a busy tackle shop and suddenly you can hear a pin drop.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Ah, Crappie... The EF Hutton of fish. Mention the name in a busy tackle shop and suddenly you can hear a pin drop.
Yup, most everybody I know is a crappie fan. I don't think "crappie" survived the Swedes interpreter too well lol. Trout are very lucky they don't taste like crappie. They taste much better than the name implies. :) Right up there with xander (eyes) out of clean water.

drifter84

Reaction score
First of all welcome to the forum. You aren't the first one to try the two hander route. Are you overhead casting out of the boat?
I cast out of a boat and sometimes even my canoe. The canoe is a little tuff if you have to re-tie, I take the rod apart to do this.

My friends call me the radical, I will try anything that's different.

I built an 18' 6" float rod for Steelhead fishing, can go down to 3lb leader as the rod is so soft. I use it for Bass fishing and have even drifted minnows for pike and landed some good size fish.

Have a great day wherever you are