Getting a 3 weight for streams and creeks. Fiberglass vs graphite

delerium89

Reaction score
Ill be getting a 3 weight for some summer creek fishing. I've had several people tell me I should go with a fiberglass rod and it definitely sounds appealing. What else can you tell me about using a fiberglass vs graphite rod when using ultralight rods

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Well I'm not really sure that you would consider a 3wt. "ultra"-light, yet in any case I'm curious about the feedback to come as well. I do not own any fiberglass rods and have wondered why so many here place them in such high regard (not as a better/less thing, yet different).....

Look forward to the feedback....great question! :thumbsup:

B.E.F.

J

james w 3 3

I'm really fond of small creek fishing, there's just some part of me that's still just a little kid that seems to surface fishing small creeks. ;)

You want a rod that will load with just a couple feet of line out, sometimes none at all! To that end it should be pretty "soft". A great example is to cast a 5wt Zenith then the 3wt, way way softer, because the 3 is designed to do what you want on a small stream, load up close in.

I like graphite, because I'm crazy for very very light rods, my Hardy Featherweight (3wt 2pc) is sub 2 ounces. Others may choose glass or bamboo though, just as long as it's soft. (Orvis Superfine Carbon is a fine example.)
I believe it really comes down to personal choice, you pick!

mike_r

Reaction score
As long as high winds and overhanging brush are not a serious issue, I think you will enjoy the tug of a small fish on glass more than with graphite. For dealing with wind and trees, sometimes it is easier to fish tight streams with a quicker loading graphite rod even overlined a line size. A good glass rod will however, in an experienced hand, load short with less or no false casting. It is a matter to get used to coming from fishing longer graphite rods. Whatever you chose, enjoy the discovery process!

Reaction score
since you're not likely to casting 40 yards of line, i'd go with fiberglass, softer, and much better at the roll cast. If it must be graphite, get the softest rod you can find - with either, a 3 inch brown will feel like Moby Dick.

delerium89

Reaction score
since you're not likely to casting 40 yards of line, i'd go with fiberglass, softer, and much better at the roll cast. If it must be graphite, get the softest rod you can find - with either, a 3 inch brown will feel like Moby Dick.
I love roll casting. Tight spots without a lot of space behind me wont be a problem.

I'm really considering the butter stick from redington. Are there any other rods in that price range I should be looking at as well?

jgentile

Reaction score
I have personally not fished a graphite stick (3wt. or under) that has has loaded or felt loaded with its' designated line weight on it. There may be rods out there that do, but I haven't cast them. They may communicate to some, not me.

I own one 3wt. glass stick and it speaks to me. It roll casts like a dream and in my hands mends a line very, very well. When I want to fish small dry flies on my local waters or small wets and soft hackles it gets the nod, location and weather conditions permitting (WIND). I fish some very tightly choked, steep banked, tree lined streams with dense over head canopies and unless a major storm is running right down or up the creek the wind factor doesn't come in to play.

This is where I really dig my 3 wt.
[/URL][/IMG]

Here, on a windy afternoon... not so much
[/URL][/IMG]

"Fish on feel" with glass is a by product of the material. I don't recommend buying a light line weight rod just for the "fish on feel".

Lately I have been fishing with heavier line weights. 6wt. rods specifically for the control that I get with the line. Here is a rod I aptly named "Lil' Phil". 6'0 6wt. (glass). The "fish on feel" and bendo are the by product, albeit enjoyable by product of fishing with glass. I'd call this water small stream/creek even though it is designated as a river. The water is moving through this run and I was swinging a small bugger. The rod has the back bone. All the fun, with more versatility in my opinion.
[/URL][/IMG]

Where you fish, the flies you will be presenting, method of fishing and to some degree the average size of fish you will targeting should dictate your decision. All things said, if you are buying a 3wt. for all the right reasons, go glass. Hope this helps.

Joe

gjq

Reaction score
When I lived in Vermont I had a trout stream in my backyard.
My rod of choice was a 3 wt Steffen Brothers fiberglass rod and I could sneak upstream and one back cast, then upstream cast an easy 35 feet and drop the fly like a feather on the stream. False casting was not the way to fish the small streams unless branches were what you are after.....The other two graphite rods that worked very well was a Winston 6', 2 weight IM6 from 25 years ago and a Scott 7', 3 weight G-series that is discontinued.
My experience is that small streams are so much fun to fish and trout are in these small streams even when they are hard to find in the larger rivers. Small streams and wild trout are a blast!

bear 007

Reaction score
What else can you tell me about using a fiberglass vs graphite rod when using ultralight rods
I guess I've jumped onto the fiberglass bandwagon but they are fun to fish, it's probably the fact that you can feel them load so much easier, especially in close, but they are just a blast to fish, for the waters you've got pictured, fiberglass would be the ticket for sure.

markfrid

Reaction score
I'm +1 on all the glass rod comments. The 6 to 7 1/2 footers are the sweet spot for glass, just perfect for small streams. But, even though I think most every 3 wt graphite I've tried seems just too darn stiff for me, the Winston WT or IM6 can hang right in there with glass in the short stick fun dept. A little different action than glass, but still TONS of feel. Every bit as much fun as glass, in my opinion.

Mark

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Small stream fishing is such a magical experience, using the right rod is very important, I think glass is a great choice, they always seem to have the right load, as for graphite there don't seem to be as many rod series that can achieve the same results as glass. Sages circa is a great option the orvis superfine touch is probably my fav series for small creeks. I fish a few small meadow streams and tree choked creeks in upstate NY for high elevation brookies, I use an 8' 4wt. Superfine touch b/c I like the mass the 4wt can move, for me a 3wt is too limiting. Anyway, my local fishing buddy up there uses a 7' 3wt glass rod, and we tease each other about which rod is better suited for the job. Ultimateley though, superfines graphite is about as close as your gunna get to glass, while maintaining lightweight blanks. Something worth considering. I can load the rod effectively w/ only 12inches of line out the rod tip w/ a 4wt line. I'm not a big fan of orvis's fly lines, but thier hydros superfine line (willow color) is an amazing taper for light load rods, I even like it better then wulff's triangle taper. Even my glass buddy uses that orvis line on his rod, best line orvis ever made IMO.

Anyway, his 7' glass rod has the best close in line feel bar none, graphite can't touch glass for line feel. However, my graphite rod is lighter and crisper, both amazing fishing tools, it comes down to your preference, there are a lot of great glass rods hitting the market these days and a few graphite w/ similar flex profiles, either way I think its imperative you try both before you buy, this way you can make the descision that makes most sense for you. Good luck on your journey.

longbow42

Reaction score
Check out the Orvis glass 3 wt. I have one and it is a blast on small streams and even handles the larger fish when needed. I used it yesterday on a local wild trout limestone.

burk48237

Reaction score
If I could chose anything for small streams it would be bamboo, but a good boo will cost anywhere used from $600 to 1200, not a low cost option.

Glass is choice number two. If I could pick any glass for a small stream it would be 7' 4 weight. Threes are just two soft, any wind and you're really working. Also despite the fact that you're often fishing for smaller fish, larger dry flies and sometimes a stimulator dropper rig are pretty common techniques. In fact the two fly rig is the go to rig of many Smoky Mountain guides. A three is really on the edge in those conditions. And trust me a 7" brookie will bend a 4 weight glass real good.

I've got a 6 1/2 Diamondback three, it rarely comes out of the case. As far as product, used, the old Diamondbacks are great. New, the Reddington's, Orvis and Echo are all excellent choices that are reasonably priced. The only Graphites I like on small streams are the Winston WT's and Scott G's, most the others are just two fast too enjoy.

3wtbill

Reaction score
My favorite 3wt. is a Sage 8' 3wt. 3 piece SP. I fish a lot of streamers in creeks in the mountains of North Carolina and catch a lot of fish. Don't think those fish see many streamer down there. That is my all-time favorite go to rod!

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I'm +1 on all the glass rod comments. The 6 to 7 1/2 footers are the sweet spot for glass, just perfect for small streams. But, even though I think most every 3 wt graphite I've tried seems just too darn stiff for me, the Winston WT or IM6 can hang right in there with glass in the short stick fun dept. A little different action than glass, but still TONS of feel. Every bit as much fun as glass, in my opinion.

Mark
I'll second that. Every summer my wife and I camp up the Wise River 25 or so miles up from where it dumps into the Bighole. It's called a river but it's really just a large creek chock full of Brook trout and the occasional Artic Grayling. Any of my rods work fine, but I always use either my 7 1/2' Browning Silaflex five weight or my Winston 7 1/2' WT three weight. Those 5"-10" trout are a blast on those rods.

jjack

Reaction score
Great thread.

I fished a small creek this weekend and afterward decided it was time to get a shorter rod. Found the 5 foot 9 (!) Cabelas CGR 3wt still on sale for $90.

Frankly, it felt like an Orvis Practice Caster in the store, but I figured what the heck for 90 bucks. Used my Battenkill with Rio Trout 3 wt line.

Well, it casts great out to about 25 feet (40 with rod and leader) which is plenty. And just plain fun to use. Several reviews said it was an awesome roll caster.

I was inclined to try the 4 wt CGR but there were a couple of comments on the fiberglass forum that this tiny 3 wt is really special.