G.Loomis Pro4x rods

think trout

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if G.Loomis Pro4x rods are any good. It seems to me if a company ever scrimps on their rods its usually on the cork grips. I've owned a few Sage rods that had really bad cork.

rockriver

Reaction score
I don't know about the Loomis Rod quality; but, I've read a few articles about the decline in the quality of cork available.

sndmn11

Reaction score
My understanding of the Pro4x is that the lower three sections are somewhat standard high modulus graphite, and the tip section is the NRX material. I can't seem to find where I got that conclusion from though....
Less expensive guides and a lower quality cork from the NRX account for the rest of the cost difference, but the ones I have gotten my hands on seem to be good in those areas. Reportedly the tapers are as to close to the identical NRX models as can be had when different materials are used. Made in the USA...
Sounds like the preceding idea/template/concept for what the Recon is to the H2.
I'd fish with one without hesitation if it was a better tool for the job than what I already have. I'm sure casting one will tell you all you need to know.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
I have had the 9' 5 weight Pro4X for over a year and find it to be a very suitable rod for my usage. The cork handle seems to be of good material and I haven't had a problem with it up to this time. A very good rod for the money.

Hombre06

Reaction score
I have a Pro4x in 6wt and the 8wt Saltwater. They are stiff and great for slinging heavy bass flies. The Pro4x 8wt surpassed my Sage VXP as my primary bass rod and will go to Belize with me this November. I like the stiffness of both rods and they do a great jog of picking the line up out of the water when starting a back cast. That's a great capability to have when you're fishing fast water and targeting structure along the bank. Mind you, I'm using heavy flies, a short-headed bass fly line and a short hand-tied leader so I'm picking up a heavy pay load. Haven't had a problem with the cork and they seem similar in quality to my other rods. So in my opinion, Pro4x rods are great for what you pay and great quality in comparison to other rods.
Lastly, although my 8wt Pro4x is labeled a Saltwater rod it pulls double duty as my primary bass rod. Don't let the labeling fool you; go with the rod that works best for your application.