Yellowstone fly rod

n3gz3r0

Reaction score
Heyo,

I am just starting to look into fly fishing and spoke with my local fly shop here in Laramie, WY. As far as a budget setup goes, they recommended a 9' yellowstone rod ($190) 5 weight which is what I was told is good overall for the area.
Does anyone have any input on the Yellowstone rods? Or, any suggestions for other rods for a beginner around the same price range with a good warranty? Also on the subject, a decent reel would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Zac

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have a Dan Bailey Yellowstone 6wt rod as a backup, never used it so I can't comment as to how well it works.

My $.02 since it is a relabeled OEM type of set up if you ever need warranty work you might play hell getting it fixed. With guys out there like Allen and there Alluvion or Heritage series right in your price range and outstanding warranty support I would look that way as a first pass. Not turning this in to a Allen commercial but Ive had good results with them but others like Elkhorn, TFO and some have top notch support at your price point.

Now if the local shop can give you details on support and you cast and like it...buy it

siege

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Zac !!
If you are talking about the Yellowstone fly rods from a company called Jackson Cardinal, based in Jackson Hole, I have one. It's 3 years old, and I have had no problems. As a relatively inexpensive rod, it has far exceded my expections. Fit and finish are great, the cork is high quality, it has a lifetime warranty, and just feels right in my hand. I am more accurate with this rod than any rod I own. ( I own a lot of rods, many are far more expensive than this one. )
On the other hand......the main reason I like this particular rod is because it is very fast, and fairly short, being a 7' in 5 wt. It's my "Swiss Army Knife" of a rod. It works in a wide variety of situations. If you are just getting started, you may want a longer, slower, softer rod. But, given the opportunity, try casting the Yellowstone and a few other rods. That way, the rod can choose you, not vice-versa.
Would I recommend it ? Yes, with no reservations.

Last edited:

n3gz3r0

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. Siege, I believe that is the brand I was shown. I do plan to try a few different rods as we have a few shops around here. The lifetime warranty is a huge deal since I am starting out fresh on the whole thing. Some of the other brands around here are Orvis, Redington, Sage (of course), and a few others.

n3gz3r0

Reaction score
Yea, that setup is on my list. We have an authorized Orvis dealer in town. I have been taking notes of what is available locally and close by so I can find something that will fit the best.

akuriko

Reaction score
This is the only thread I can find on these rods. Anyone else try them over the last bunch of years? They also make reels.

@akuriko, did these guys make your list when you were discovering who made what rods where?

I haven't found much info on them online.
Yo Acheron, glad someone asked, I heard about em last year, all I can tell is just like max catch, venture fly rods, wild water, outlaw, moonshine, and lelands cheaper fly rods on the market, you got the cash liechi can you make you what you want.

for the noobs out there i will post the other fly makers i just spoke of.

and any other brands you hear of or just hear of is more likely a guy or gal who paid money to liechi to get there own fly rod brand made.

Butchersdog80

Reaction score
I suspect I could add at least one more name to the list but I won't shame them here. Do your research is all I'll say. At least some of these folks give lifetime warranty for them. You could do worse.

akuriko

Reaction score
Heyo,

I am just starting to look into fly fishing and spoke with my local fly shop here in Laramie, WY. As far as a budget setup goes, they recommended a 9' yellowstone rod ($190) 5 weight which is what I was told is good overall for the area.
Does anyone have any input on the Yellowstone rods? Or, any suggestions for other rods for a beginner around the same price range with a good warranty? Also on the subject, a decent reel would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Zac
Had to pull up my email as I saved this link in email, try these, and if this list doesn't work at least I will exspand it more for you.

akuriko

Reaction score
I suspect I could add at least one more name to the list but I won't shame them here. Do your research is all I'll say. At least some of these folks give lifetime warranty for them. You could do worse.
Everyone knows i do my research on all brands, i do know a few more rods that could be considered starter but you would need to buy the reels too, the company doesnt do a kit.

Butchersdog80

Reaction score
Everyone knows i do my research on all brands, i do know a few more rods that could be considered starter but you would need to buy the reels too, the company doesnt do a kit.
Well I am fairly new to the forum, but I didn't mean you, I meant the OP or anyone that had not done research yet. As I said you could do worse. I meant I could mention another brand that could be rebranding leichi product, but I'm unsure. They do also offer the lifetime warranty which makes me think it is.

Aside from the warranty, the nice thing about having local shops carry these rods is you can try before you buy. That's partly why I don't want to shame them - I might just try them myself sometime.

akuriko

Reaction score
Well just as a research peak into what I'm researching just like Yellowstone I am now checking on this company

seems this company is or maybe a Leichi brand, I don't have any problems with it as long as the companies are in business a long time and they uphold their warranty.

custom makers retire then you can't get your rod repaired if it breaks and if you do find a person it's going to be very expensive.

akuriko

Reaction score
Well I am fairly new to the forum, but I didn't mean you, I meant the OP or anyone that had not done research yet. As I said you could do worse. I meant I could mention another brand that could be rebranding leichi product, but I'm unsure. They do also offer the lifetime warranty which makes me think it is.

Aside from the warranty, the nice thing about having local shops carry these rods is you can try before you buy. That's partly why I don't want to shame them - I might just try them myself sometime.
its a fact of life, even scanner makers Uniden, GRE, and cobra rebrand their older models by making a new model, as for fly rods, more likely if a brand pops up like a new company that makes fly rods there is a 95% chance its made in china and its rebranded lichi products, it's just a fact of life.

maybe you Butcher can send me a pm on the name of the brand you don't want to shame I will dig a little deeper for you with a full check out and I can report back to you on the findings, :D

Butchersdog80

Reaction score
its a fact of life, even scanner makers Uniden, GRE, and cobra rebrand their older models by making a new model, as for fly rods, more likely if a brand pops up like a new company that makes fly rods there is a 95% chance its made in china and its rebranded lichi products, it's just a fact of life.

maybe you Butcher can send me a pm on the name of the brand you don't want to shame I will dig a little deeper for you with a full check out and I can report back to you on the findings, :D
Pm sent with some link to their rods and note about their reels.

trev

Reaction score
I've been seeing some Rudder rods reels and lines in the trout park for a couple of years that I had guessed fit the rebranded/custom/yourname Leichi profile, a Springfield Mo. company I think, but I've never looked at them very hard.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Heyo,

Thanks,
Zac
Hi Zac,

I’m in Laramie also and appreciate you looking to support our local fly shops. They are all run by good people who will treat you fairly. I have a number of various fly rods if you want to comparison cast some of them as you consider rods from the shops. I really don’t know the Yellowstone rods, but the fly shops here can and will order almost anything you decide on.

There are some lines of rods such as Taylor and Stickman that can only be bought direct from the maker. I prefer to deal locally but some of my rods have been bought direct also. Nothing wrong with that in my view. Sometimes we just want something that isn’t available from a local shop, If you go that route, you can still support our local shops by buying other items such as waders, lines, fly boxes and other gear. It is always good to become a regular customer with local shops because they can provice a lot of help and advice as you are getting started.

If I can help you get going, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Don