Sage one 890 tribs steelhead / salmon

fishguy613

Reaction score
Am going to be purchasing a new fly rod for lake O tribs steelhead and salmon, probably 80% steel

I want a high performance rod that is fast and capable of casting heavy tungsten flies, and indicator rigs even with winds present, considering the One 890-4. I know 10 ft is preferred length but I figure 9 ft will be long enough and it could be more versatile and used other applications easier.

If anyone owns this rod what are your opinions of it and would it work for my application / any suggestions

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have never cast the ONE#8 but, though powerful casters, ONE's are slender, thin walled rods and very light. I doubt impact resistance to slung weight are their strong suites and this rod might be more at home on a bonefish flat than the Salmon River. I might suggest the Hardy Zenith or its improved replacement, Zephyr, in a 9 1/2 or 10' length for #8 might be a better choice.

fishguy613

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I own a 9' #5 zenith and have to say thats basically the action I'm looking for out of my steelie rod, strong backbone but soft tip.. The 9' #8 zenith is also an option for me but I can get them both for around 450 and already own a zenith so that's what lead me to consider the one. I enjoy trying different rods and love my zenith and sage accel 864.

Anyone who's used the one 890 have input?

slips74

Reaction score
Just for giggles, also look at Hardy's new Wraith Fly rod. Said to be slower than the Radian but faster than the NRX. I ordered the 9' 6 weight for my large water trout rod.

bwf

Reaction score
Sage XP 896-4 all day and every day! :D

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

In all seriousness many good choices out there. But that extra 6" is nice steelheading ;)

golfnfish

Reaction score
Not considered a top end rod but you might want to check out a TFO Mangrove 8wt. Softer tip with a lot of lifting power describes it well.

burk48237

Reaction score
If you can afford to go longer, do it. There,s nothing wrong with a 9' foot single hander, but if you tried a 10' single hander or better yet a 11'-11 1/2' two hander you'd drop the 9' in a second. It's amazing how much difference 6" to a foot can make in line control and mending in the presentations for those fish. I dare say you'd be better off with a "budget" 11 1/2 like a TFO or Beulah than a top of the line 9' 8 weight. S & S is right get the 9'-8 for Bonefish, Bass or Great Lakes Carp, I have 9-8 Proaxis and I love it, but the ONLY time I use it on Andromonous fish is stripping streamers with heads for Silvers in AK.

fishguy613

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Hardy jet 10' #8 with an UL 7000, anyone have any reviews of the hardy jet? Limited info available

myt1

Reaction score
My salmon/steelhead set-up is the Sage One 9ft 8wt, paired with a Sage 4600 reel.

I fish almost exclusively the Lake Michigan tributaries and 9 feet seems to be the correct length.

If my rod was any longer I think I would get it tangled more than I already do.

onthehunt

Reaction score
It all boils down to the size of the waters you fish.

Some of the Great Lakes tribs can be small, really small and at times, you are lucky to get away with a 9ft rod. However, on the medium to larger rivers, you can run anything from 9ft. to 14ft. I like and use rods that are 11ft., 12'6" and 13ft, depending on the water.

The world of two hand is like a bad drug however. I must warn you now!

myt1.......when do you get to the Midwest to fish? We just moved from the Cave Creek area in February.

myt1

Reaction score
myt1.......when do you get to the Midwest to fish? We just moved from the Cave Creek area in February.[/QUOTE]

Onthehunt, you're doing it wrong.

No one moves TO Michigan; everyone is leaving.

Actually, all my buddies who stayed in Michigan are doing just fine, regardless of all the bad economic news you hear in the media.

I usually fish in Michigan with my old high school buddies the first or second week in November.