Recon vs Motive for Bonefish

jmw

Reaction score
New to salt and starting to gear up for my first Christmas Island trip in the spring and am considering an Orvis Recon or Sage Motive 8 weight rod for bonefish. I hope to get a chance to cast each before a purchase decision, but would appreciate any input from those of you who own or have tested these rods already. Do either of these rods have a particular line preference? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reaction score
The Motive is a saltwater-specific rod and if you will be using this rod in saltwater only, you will appreciate the features of the Motive. The Recon is a freshwater and saltwater rod so if you will be doing something like steelhead fishing with the rod also, that rod may be a better choice. The Motive has more of the lifting power than the Recon, but the Recon is better at mending and is a better all-around 8 weight. They are both fantastic rods. I hope this helps you narrow it down a little more.:)

jmw

Reaction score
Thanks. For now I am targeting this rod for salt water. Besides lifting power, is there anything else about the Motive that makes it better for the salt than the Recon?