Winston Vapor fly rod 4 a begginner or other options?

brokeONE

Reaction score
I'm just starting out fly fishing my local shop reccomended I should get the winston vapor in the 5w if I don't mind the price. I can't remember the name of the reel, but he told me the complete set up with line would cost me about 450.00. I will be fishing mainly for trout with the ocasional small mouth. I told him that I was looking for a rod that I wouldn't need to upgrade in a couple years once I learn how to fly fish. Does anyone have any suggestions on on rods or experience with this rod? I'm fine with paying 500.00 or less for a complete set-up?

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'd actually suggest getting a ECHO Classic 5wt, a Lamson Konic, and a good line in accordance with your needs.

If you think you'll want another rod before too long, I'd get the same rig in a 6wt now, and then get somebody's 4wt down the road.

zerolimit

Reaction score
I have the 4wt. in 8'6". It's a nice rod and certainly one that would be kept in the stable as you collect more. It's a medium action which should help you develop timing and feel. It really comes down to the pocketbook and what you feel good casting. There are rods from Echo (Classic), TFO (Pro and Finesse), Sage (Fli and Launch).... that may also be good choices in the "not so crazy" price category. Have you had a chance to do any casting with the Vapor or others?

brokeONE

Reaction score
I have casted the vapor. I liked the way it felt, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. I looked at the Sage Fli yesterday.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi brokeONE,

The Winston Vapor is a fast action rod and won't be as easy to learn with as a slower action rod. It is not hard to learn with just not as easy as a medium action rod. If you bought a Vapor you would not need to upgrade it when you become a better caster.

You might also like the Sage Fli or the St Croix Ultra. The Sage Fli is the least costly and most beginners likes the way it cast. All three of these rods are considered a fast action by most casters.

I suggest you cast the Winston Vapor and one of these other fast action rods to compare how you like the action of the Vapor. I would then cast a TFO Pro and see how you like the action of if. It is more of a medium action and would give you a comparison between a medium action and the other fast action rods.

Any of these rods would be a good choice and one you can learn with. You may need a couple of lessons but you should do that no matter what rod you buy. Just be aware that you are looking at fast action rods and it might be harder for you to get the feel of the casting stroke to start with.

Frank

zerolimit

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

When I bought my 4wt Vapor, I bought a 9ft 5wt. with it at the same time. I ended up selling that for a 5wt. Fli, which I in turn sold to buy a 5wt. Z Axis. I agree completely that the Fli is a fast action rod but I could not put the Vapor in the same category as that rod based on the time I spent with them despite Winston's description. As always, this is just one man's observation and it is why I described it as medium action. I would put the Vapor in line with the Launch.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feed back. I have not cast the Vapor so my comments were based on the Winston site. I should have know that a fast action rod to Winston might be a medium action rod to everyone else. That was why I suggested brokeONE compare the rods before buying one.

How do you like the Z-Axis? I have always liked the Sage rods better than most. All of my rods are Sage except for my bamboo rods.

Frank

zerolimit

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

I broke the Z in on a three day Green River float last August. Pretty good trial by fire for it (and me). Mostly dries but I've had a chance to do a fair amount of nymphing with it since. It's a very nice tool all around but I think it is perhaps a better nymph rod than a dry fly rod. Keep my lack of experience in mind but it seems to lack a bit of feel and control in the tip for high accuracy, at least in the 590. There is just a little bit of a vague feeling that takes some getting used to.

By contrast, one of my fishing buddies had the 690 on that trip and it felt completely different as if that was the sweet spot for that blank. A 586 could be the ticket.

The other limitation I found was in it's ability to pick up and carry a lot of line. When my assignment was to fish the outside tight to the bank for the brownies while my partner cast to the inside, I sometimes had trouble picking up and laying down past 40ft. Again, this could be a function of casting ability but I've heard similar critiques from others. One of the anglers in our group brought a 590 BIIX which I fished for an hour or so and that rod shined in the same scenario.

racine

Reaction score
I have a 5 wt, 4pc, Winston Vapor, 9 ft. It is a FAST ROD. Nothing medium about it. It is a good casting rod but fast. I'd recommend a rod I just purchased and fished for the last 2 weeks. It's the Albright A-5 4 wt, 9ft. It's a medium fast action that has backbone enough to cast a DT line 70+ ft. and yet cast nicely 20-50ft gently. I found it very accurate and sensitive. I would even go so far as to compare it to a $550 Sage SLT which I have in a 3 wt. It is that nice. I'd also pair it with a Lamson Konic or Velocity. If you need a 5 wt then the A5 should fit the bill for $157 +shipping. I like it so much I've logged in a few 20-40 fish days in the last 2 weeks. Today was a 30+ brim/bass day. It would do fine for trout as well. Good Luck.

zerolimit

Reaction score
Just goes to show you you have to cast them yourself. Two completely different opinions on action from two owners who have fished them.

docbluedevil

Reaction score
I'd suggest buying a used Winston IM6 or WT rod in excellent condition. A Winston IM6 8.6 ft 5 wt 3 pc was my first rod; I still fish it nearly 15 years later.