Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
  1. Default Sage 279 LL question

I have a Sage Graphite 111, 279 LL 2 weight rod that I use most often, love that rod! I believe I had read (can not find it now) that the LL series was built using the IM6 rod blank, is this correct? were all Graphite 111 built using the IM6 ?

2. Default Re: Sage 279 LL question

anyone have any help?

Default Re: Sage 279 LL question

Well, I can tell you the first generation Sage LLs were made of Graphite II and later there was a change, and they were made of Graphite III. Someone else can tell us for sure, but I believe IM6 was a completely different beast, and I don't know that Sage ever made anything out of IM6.

I had a friend who had a 379 Graphite II LL, and the thing was pretty darn floppy.

4. Default Re: Sage 279 LL question

I had thought I had read it online here somewhere but can not find it now, i'll keep searching. it is one of my favorite rods though.

IM6 was a graphite type of that time, Graphite II, III are simply Sage nomenclature and I don't know how they correlate to modulus 6 type. No rods of that era had the high modulus type graphite's we have today and also, they employed fiberglass for the underlying scrim. Then as now, design trumps material but Sage and the rest are constantly experimenting with the latest available materials. I say "available" because aerospace/military factories get the new innovations first which latter trickle down to the fly rod makers. It is no coincidence that Sage and G.Loomis are in WA in the shadow of Boeing. Then and even more now, graphite and especially resin systems advance very quickly. Today's materials make those earlier versions look very primitive.

Looking farther, here's an old post on another board by Zach Matthews where he says that Sage Graphite II was IM6 and Graphite III was IM7. He doesn't cite a source, but I think he's generally a pretty knowledgeably guy.

I thought I had read a modulus rating for GII that was somewhat higher than the 36 million for IM6, but I can't find it now. So in the absence of more definitive info, I'll go with Zach.

7. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by triggw View Post
    Looking farther, here's an old post on another board by Zach Matthews where he says that Sage Graphite II was IM6 and Graphite III was IM7. He doesn't cite a source, but I think he's generally a pretty knowledgeably guy.

I thought I had read a modulus rating for GII that was somewhat higher than the 36 million for IM6, but I can't find it now. So in the absence of more definitive info, I'll go with Zach.
    I think Zach is wrong. That post is from 2004 and Zach probably knows better now. Zach wrote, "Sage's Lineup History : The Reserve (R) Power (P) rod, the oldest rod in their product line today, was originally released in 1982. It makes use of Graphite II, a moniker that refers to the number of graphite fibers in the rod's blank (the rod itself). Graphite II is IM6 graphite, with about 33 million modulus (a count of the little fibers.)"

The modulus is NOT a count of the amount of "little fibers" but a measure of stiffness.

IM6 is a graphite fiber made by Hexel Corp and Gary Loomis says the version of IM6 used in his rods has a modulus of 36 million and not 33 million. Only Hexel can label their graphite wiht IM numerals.

See an interview with GAry Loomus about what modulus is:

"Loomis began by explaining that the identifiers IM6, IM7 and IM8 are the trade numbers used by the Hexcel Corp. to identify their product and is not an industry quality or material standard, although the Hercules Fibers produced by the Hexcel Corp. are the benchmark that most companies use to compare their materials. The confusion is compounded because a number of rod manufacturers use materials produced by companies other than Hexcel and yet identify their rods as being IM6, IM7 and IM8, which by itself means nothing....

A graphite rod made from IM6 Hercules Fibers will have a modulus of 36 million and a strain rate of 750,000. "

FLW Fishing: Articles

So IM designations apply only to Hercules graphite fibers made by Hexel. So if Zach is correct that Graphit II is 33 million it CANNOT be Hercules IM6 graphite.

The current version of IM6 is now 40.5 million modulus:

http://www.hexcel.com/resources/data...sheets/im6.pdf
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Wow, haven't heard the name Hexcel in a while. I used to have a pair of their skis, the Hexcel Hexcelerators. Great bump ski in its day. Is Hexcel still around today, I wonder?

I also owned a pair of Hexel skis with the "honeycomb" construction. They don't make skis anymore.

I did my Radiology Residnecy at the University of Utah Medical Center and we got Wed afternoons off during ski season. We would drive up to Snowbird and ask the flatlanders coming off the hill if they were goind to ski teh rest of the afternoon. Usually we could cut the day pass wire off under the adhesive and ski the rest of the day for free. The Staff got Tueday afternoons off. So Ski Season was great.

Hexcel Skis and Graves Skis | RetroSki
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy