Accel 6wt 9' or One?

sndmn11

Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on the Sage Accel or One in the 9' 6wt?
My cousin recently retired and wants to take up fly fishing. He lives in CA and wants a rod that he can screw around with for pond bass, and also for occasional trout in NV and CO.
He asked me to build him a rod after seeing some of the ones I have built recently, and gave me a $500 final budget.
Of course he doesn't have a clue what he is wanting in the rod, and told me just to build him something nice. He said that he will take some casting lessons when he gets the rod.
So, I am looking to find out how either would do with whatever popper style flies are needed for pond bass, and how well of an all around rod it might do for trout....even though I hate the concept of an all around rod.
He is quite athletic and I am sure would have no issues with instruction on whatever I build him, but I am leaning towards the Accel.
Very vague, I know, but that is what I have to go off of.

coho52

Reaction score
I have cast both rods and brought and used an Accel on my recent trip to Montana.

As a first rod, I think the Accel would be a better choice. Medium-fast action and good range of use (dries, nymphs, and light streamers). Also roll casts well.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
With closeout prices going on right now, he could get a factory-built 690-4 or 691-4 Sage ONE for his budget. That is the best 6wt rod I've ever fished with and I'd recommend one without hesitation over any other rod, regardless of price.

eastfly66

Reaction score
That is the best 6wt rod I've ever fished
Could you expand on that a bit for me ? I keep telling myself I don't need another 6 but the closeout and having the 590 has me second guessing myself .....acutally thinking of a 9'6" or 10' ...or 7100 ..

sndmn11

Reaction score
With closeout prices going on right now, he could get a factory-built 690-4 or 691-4 Sage ONE for his budget.
Then it wouldn't be built by me, how he wants, and have better components ;)
I came in under the closeout pricing anyhow if I add the components I just bought to the $299 lowest blank price on a One I could find. Opted for the Accel instead.

mudd foot

Reaction score
here's my $.02: liked the Sage One 905 so much that I bought the 6#. Great rod. No sure a person has to be an expert caster to appreciate. Don't consider myself that by any means. Just prefer the faster action to to those that are slower.