Rod size for trout fishing?

bwetzel

Reaction score
Indialantic, Florida (East Coast - Brevard County)
I need advice from the trout fishermen on the forum.

I am in Florida and fish inshore/offshore and have 8 weight and 10 weight saltwater rods.

With family in Vermont and Frederick MD (and maybe a future trip out west?), I would like to add a smaller weight setup to my arsenal.

What size makes the most sense?

Thanks!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I can't speak to Vermont, but for streams in the Frederick, MD area, which I've fished, a 3 to 5 wt rod would be fine for the hatches, dry or wet. Even a 6 wt is OK at times, but primarily for streamer fishing.

It's likely that this will be true for the majority of trout fishing in the Northeast particularly on the smaller streams. There may be a few larger streams/rivers that a 6 or 7 wt rod for streamers would make sense, but 5 wt or lighter would be the norm.

BTW, even a lighter rod, 1 or 2 wt would be OK in most MD streams, however most avid trout anglers I've known in MD used rods in that 3 to 5 wt range.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If you get only one trout rod, an 8 1/2 foot 5 weight will cover most of the situations you will find in Vermont. If you're mostly fishing bigger rivers like the Connecticut, Lamoille, or Winooski you might go up a little to a 9 footer in 5 or 6. If you're mostly fishing smaller tribs you might get something a little shorter and lighter, like a 7 1/2 or 8 foot 4. But the differences are only incremental.

I'm not as familiar with Maryland, but I believe the water conditions there are similar enough that the same advice would apply (although the hatches start earlier). A lot of anglers on the neighboring Pennsylvania limestoners like a medium action 8 or 8 1/2 foot 4 weight for delicate presentations, but a 5 would do the job too.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Need to know more info. Is this to be used on small, thickly vegetated streams tossing dries to small trout? Large water swinging streamers to 30" browns?
The correct answer could be anything from a 7' 2wt to a 10' 7wt. The old standard for a trout rod is the 9 foot 5 weight, but that's going to be a nightmare on small streams.

bwetzel

Reaction score
OK, these are all fair questions.

These are mostly small streams on the Monocacy/MD, and around the Burlington VT area (Winooski River, Otter Creek).

As of this morning, I was figuring a 9ft, 6wt rod is what I would need. But clearly this is a bit oversized based on the feedback.

It sounds like a 8.5ft, 5wt is in the right ballpark.

This is a rod that I would want to take out west (i.e., Montana) if ever the chance.

Any other suggestions are very welcome...

moucheur2003

Reaction score
OK, these are all fair questions.

These are mostly small streams on the Monocacy/MD, and around the Burlington VT area (Winooski River, Otter Creek).

As of this morning, I was figuring a 9ft, 6wt rod is what I would need. But clearly this is a bit oversized based on the feedback.

It sounds like a 8.5ft, 5wt is in the right ballpark.

This is a rod that I would want to take out west (i.e., Montana) if ever the chance.

Any other suggestions are very welcome...
Okay, this is helpful. I suggested the 8 1/2' rod as an all-rounder for the widest range of Vermont water, but I fish the main stem of the Winooski pretty often from Montpelier down to Bolton and it's almost always with a 9 footer, in #5 or 6. If instead you're likely to be fishing a smaller river like, say, the Dog or Mad or Gihon or Lewis Creek, you might prefer something a little shorter to keep your backcast out of the trees.

You certainly can fish the Winooski with an 8 1/2 too, but the extra length of a 9 comes in handy for nymphing and mending in the larger pools. And a 9' 5 weight is pretty much standard issue if you're going to be fishing Montana.

smartrout

Reaction score
I am a big fan of 9ft 4 weights for most river fishing here in Colorado. I go to a 10ft 5wt when nymphing, and a 6wt when swinging streamers in faster, bigger water.

I have two 3wt Sage LLs coming my way (one gets here tomorrow), so maybe I will shift from 4wt down to 3wt this Spring.

mrnotherone

Reaction score
I always like to start with the fish and work back. What am I likely to be catching 90% of the time? My trout rods range between a 7ft 2wt to a 9ft 4wt and I choose one depending on the size of the stream, tree cover, weather etc. If I'm fishing all day, I want the lightest one that gets the job done i.e. gives me the best presentation.

Good luck choosing - always nice to be looking for a new rod :)

pab1

Reaction score
I fish for trout with rods ranging from a 6' 2wt to a 10' 7wt. These include 3, 4, 5 and 6 weight rods. The 2wt I use on small streams. The 10' 7 wt is used with big articulated streamers on rivers and lakes known for producing big trout.

I do the majority of my fishing with 7'6" through 9' 4wt rods. They've worked well with everything from size 28 dry flies through size 8 streamers. A 4wt is small enough to enjoy small fish on but still be able to handle larger fish. My biggest trout on a 4wt was a 23" brown which I was able to land quickly. I can still cast a 4wt on fairly windy days. If I were only going to use one rod weight for trout it would be a 4wt. I'd have a harder time picking a single rod length. I use 7'6" 4wts most of the time but 9' rods are nice on bigger streams and lakes.

bwetzel

Reaction score
Great, great input. Thanks...

Follow up question.
My 8wt and 10wt are both Scott Meridian's with Galvan Torque reels.
A good fit for me.

I initially thought it would be a good idea to have a consistent rod/reel type across all sizes (i.e., purchase a 5wt or 6wt Meridian/Galvan).

But now I wonder if these products are designed more for my harsher saltwater application, and that I ought to consider other brands that specialize in precise freshwater small-stream trout fishing.

Thoughts?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I initially thought it would be a good idea to have a consistent rod/reel type across all sizes (i.e., purchase a 5wt or 6wt Meridian/Galvan).

But now I wonder if these products are designed more for my harsher saltwater application, and that I ought to consider other brands that specialize in precise freshwater small-stream trout fishing.

Thoughts?
That would be wise. Yes, the Meridian was designed primarily for saltwater. I would not consider a Meridian for trout except perhaps for throwing big weighted flies heroic distances. In an all-purpose trout rod you want more feel and finesse, especially at distances of 15-45 feet.

I don't own one myself, but I think the Orvis Helios2 mid-flex 8 1/2' 5 weight is one of the best all-round trout sticks available for Eastern fishing at mid-range distances, and it is more widely distributed than many other brands so it should be easier to find one to test. If there is an Orvis dealer near you, go there and give it a shake first. (If not, go to your nearest fly shop and ask them to show you whatever similar mid-flex model they carry; the G2 series is similar if you want to stay with Scott.) You will see how much different it feels from your larger Meridians. Then the first thing you should compare it to is a faster 9 foot 5 weight, such as the Loomis NRX or Scott Radian or Sage X, since that style of rod is considered the standard trout all-rounder out West. You may well decide you prefer a different brand than Orvis, or a different length or a different line weight or a lower price point or a faster action, and no doubt the sales clerk will have an opinion, but it's still a great benchmark trout rod to use as a frame of reference.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You have gotten good and thorough suggestions from Moucheur and others but I am jumping in at this point because you revealed you are fishing Meridians, very fine rods. You have already gathered that focused trout anglers don't have a rod, they have a quiver. No one rod will do it all as, just as in the salt, the rod must be tailored to the habitat and fly sizes being used. The far and away most popular trout sized rod is the 9'/#5 with the versatility to handle a broad range of circumstances and techniques so, handicap though it may be a little bit on a tiny VT brook, this is the way to go. A Scott Radian #5 with a Galvan T-5 and RIO Gold and you are good to go. An alternative would be the new and spectacular Sage X in this same 9'/#5 size and since you reside in FL, take a peak at Miami made Nautilus X to match up with it...that is what I have done.

I will counterpoint myself and agree with Moucheur that an 8 1/2'/#5 is a compromise that handles better on canopied smaller waters without sacrificing too much on bigger water. Still, I'd go with the 9' model and add an 8 1/2'/#4, latter.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
You have already gathered that focused trout anglers don't have a rod, they have a quiver. No one rod will do it all as, just as in the salt, the rod must be tailored to the habitat and fly sizes being used.
Excellent point, although the differences between the capabilities of a 9' 5 and an 8 1/2' 4 are subtle. Either one can do most of the things that the other can do. If I were buying one trout rod for most situations now and planning to add another one to expand my versatility later, I'd probably differentiate them a little more to cover a wider range of conditions -- perhaps starting out with a medium-fast 9' 6 weight and later adding a gentler-action 4 weight somewhere between 7' and 8'.

Whatever you choose, if you happen to like the feel of one rod in one size, don't assume that you will also like all the other sizes in the same series or the same brand. I once had 5 weight from a particular maker that was sheer joy to cast, but the 6 and 8 weights of the same length in the same series were broomsticks.

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
My choice would be to first pick up a slower-action 9' 5wt like a Sage Circa and put a Nautilus X 5/6 on it. This would cover most everything, but for those smaller streams, I would then pick up a (7'6 to 8') 2wt or 3wt, fast action rod like a Sage TXL or Sage One with a Galvan Brookie 3/4 on it. With proper line selection and leader, you would be covered in just about any situation you could come into chasing trout.

bwetzel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice.

Went with the 9' 5wt Scott Radian, with Galvin T-5 and Rio Gold.
It at least gets me in the right ballpark so I don't have to bring an over-sized 8wt to these locations.

It sounds like me next rod in the quiver should be an even lighter, smaller rod.
Something to look forward to....

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score

It at least gets me in the right ballpark so I don't have to bring an over-sized 8wt to these locations.

It sounds like me next rod in the quiver should be an even lighter, smaller rod.
Great choices! :)

glacierjohn

Reaction score

Good call! I live in Montana, that's my exact set up and I love it. It's very versatile.

moucheur2003

Reaction score

Can't go wrong on the Winooksi (or the Madison) with that outfit. Now all you have to do is find the fish.

Once you've been fishing with that for a while, and get more familiar with some of the smaller streams in MD and VT, you can decide how much smaller and lighter you want to go. No need to get one until you know what you want and why.