The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 01-11-2017, 12:55 AM

emann will become famous soon enough
Default Cutting off the tip of a rod

Yup, this is a fairly cringe-worthy topic but I have a decent, not super nice 6wt rod. (The old powel endurance, retails for 200$ but easy to find for around 80$). At this point, I primarily use sinking lines, and of course streamers but its a bit flimsy for these tasks. I was considering cutting off the last 4" and putting a new tip top guide on it in order to make it a bit faster.
I know this doesn't really make it a faster action rod but when I broke off the tip of my 7 wt I still fished it the rest of the day and actually liked it much better without the last 6" and noticeably casted larger flies more easily.

I won't be able to afford a decent new rod for a while and don't want to waste money on a cheap rod instead. I fish around 200 days a year so it would be nice to have a rod that meet my needs better. (I have a preowned 300gr rio in-touch striper with intermediate running line and I cut off the last 9 feet of the sink tip/shooting head to make it closer to 200 grains, a more appropriate wt for my 6wt rod.)

Sooo is cutting off the last 4" of a rod to help it handle heavier lines and flies a totally stupid idea? I don't have much to lose unless it fractures the rod and it would fit in my car better.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cutting off the tip of a rod

I too have a rod that felt better after I accidentally broke about 1 1/2" off the tip (and replaced the tip guide). But I wouldn't want to try it deliberately on another rod. There's a good chance it might feel much worse instead -- and even if not, it would be worth a lot less nevertheless.

If I were in your shoes with a rod I didn't like, I'd sell it and buy one I liked more. I'd figure I could probably break even on the transaction, more or less, or at least not be deeply out of pocket.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Hacking a fly rod is not something I would do. It would be one thing if you knew shortening the tip a given length would give a desired result. But to randomly pick a number to chop off doesn't make sense to me. It's not a fly line where you have make small cuts all day long until you like what you get.

If I fished 200 days a year like you do, I'd find $100 somehow and get a used 7WT for now.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 AM

Hirdy has a spectacular aura aboutHirdy has a spectacular aura about

Cutting the tip off a rod makes it a slower action rod, not faster.

Whatever the semantics, it should make the rod a little bit stiffer. It'll still be a 7wt but won't be so nice to cast. You'll be able to fish it, but would you really want to? Well, you seem to have nothing to lose, so give it a go.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM

sndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to beholdsndmn11 is a splendid one to behold

If you use a hot melt tip top adhesive you could whittle it back an 1/8" at a time a few hundred times until you are happy and still have a rod at the end of the day.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes guest65 liked this post
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 AM

emann will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your input, sounds like it was a kind of out of pocket idea. I won't be doing this on purpose any time soon.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

On most rods, the first guide is roughly 4-5" back of the tip-top. To experiment, what if you just strung up your line but did not put it through the tip-top, and fished it that way? Then the end of the rod that is throwing the line is back about where you wanted to cut it, at the last guide before the tip-top. It might not be a perfect experiment, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how the rod would feel when it was shortened.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tcorfey, emann liked this post
Old 01-11-2017, 10:15 AM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emann View Post
Yup, this is a fairly cringe-worthy topic but I have a decent, not super nice 6wt rod. (The old powel endurance, retails for 200$ but easy to find for around 80$). At this point, I primarily use sinking lines, and of course streamers but its a bit flimsy for these tasks. I was considering cutting off the last 4" and putting a new tip top guide on it in order to make it a bit faster.
I know this doesn't really make it a faster action rod but when I broke off the tip of my 7 wt I still fished it the rest of the day and actually liked it much better without the last 6" and noticeably casted larger flies more easily.

I won't be able to afford a decent new rod for a while and don't want to waste money on a cheap rod instead. I fish around 200 days a year so it would be nice to have a rod that meet my needs better. (I have a preowned 300gr rio in-touch striper with intermediate running line and I cut off the last 9 feet of the sink tip/shooting head to make it closer to 200 grains, a more appropriate wt for my 6wt rod.)

Sooo is cutting off the last 4" of a rod to help it handle heavier lines and flies a totally stupid idea? I don't have much to lose unless it fractures the rod and it would fit in my car better.

I have two 4 wt rods(a Loomis IMX and a Sage Z-axis) that used to be 9' long, but due to broken tips are now about 8'6". They both cast well, but I now find that they seem to like a 5 wt line instead of a 4 wt line. I wouldn't have taken the 6" off intentionally, but the accidental shortening didn't make then less effective casting tools.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dean_mt liked this post
Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Curtis has a spectacular aura aboutCurtis has a spectacular aura aboutCurtis has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Couldn't you try it before cutting?

Tape a guide down where you are thinking of cutting with some strong tape and only line it up to that guide, leaving the current tip empty. See if it works better for your needs. And if it does, I would use a cutting wheel to get a clean end and seal it real well after.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
Cutting the tip off a rod makes it a slower action rod, not faster.

Whatever the semantics, it should make the rod a little bit stiffer. It'll still be a 7wt but won't be so nice to cast. You'll be able to fish it, but would you really want to? Well, you seem to have nothing to lose, so give it a go.

Cheers,
Graeme
Quote:
Originally Posted by throssing View Post
I have two 4 wt rods(a Loomis IMX and a Sage Z-axis) that used to be 9' long, but due to broken tips are now about 8'6". They both cast well, but I now find that they seem to like a 5 wt line instead of a 4 wt line. I wouldn't have taken the 6" off intentionally, but the accidental shortening didn't make then less effective casting tools.
I believe both of you are correct.

Graeme is correct because the tip section of a fly rod is the most flexible so if you cut a section of the tip off, the stress is then shifted to the lower and stiffer section of the rod. This evens out the flex pattern of the fly rod and this means the sections of the rod below the bends more to take on the stress of the tip which is no longer there. This is by definition a slow rod action.

Throsssing is also correct that without the more flexible tip, the rod is a bit stiffer overall and so a heavier line is needed "load" the stiffer remaining rod blank.

This upward line rating of the remaining rod is why the rod seems to be a better for tossing heavier flies. It is NOT a faster action rod, it is a slower action rod with a higher fly line rating so it is able to cast heavier flies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy