Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  349
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Difference Between Expensive vs Inexpensive Rods?

Quote Originally Posted by candyman View Post
    Difference Between Expensive vs Inexpensive Rods?

Thoughts? Comments?
    Better line control, greater accuracy, more sensitivity, higher quality components, better fit & finish, less weight.

2. Likes k_e_v, myt1, hairwing530, udiablo liked this post

I wouldn't know the difference, all I have is cheap rods...
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by triggw View Post
    About 600 bucks.
    There's a lot more to it then that. When the word got out I didn't own a Sage fly rod my wife left me, life-long friends blocked me on Facebook and my mother started telling people I was adopted. I've been in therapy for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    There's a lot more to it then that. When the word got out I didn't own a Sage fly rod my wife left me, life-long friends blocked me on Facebook and my mother started telling people I was adopted. I've been in therapy for a while now.
    Actually, I agree. And a Sage X is cheap compared to therapy

As many have noted, the top end rods are better. But the way I see it, if the best fly rod in the world cost $900 and is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, then a typical $450 rod is a 9, and most $200 rods are a 7-8. I.e., you start to pay a lot for an incremental improvement. We're fortunate to have such a broad array of quality FF gear. You takes your choice and pays your money.
    Last edited by triggw; 02-05-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Zackdog lives.

6. Likes ia_trouter, hairwing530, dolomieu liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by triggw View Post
    Actually, I agree. And a Sage X is cheap compared to therapy

Actually--as many have noted--the top end rods are better. But the way I see it, if the best fly rod in the world cost $900 and is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, then a typical $450 rod is a 9, and most $200 rods are a 7-8. I.e., you start to pay a lot for an incremental improvement. We're fortunate to have such a broad array of quality FF gear. You takes your choice and pays your money.
    Every high end rod owner I know completely gets this. They are quite aware a $250 rod is a very good fishing tool. They don't purchase a $900 rod because they think it performs 4 times better. It's indeed incremental. Just like most other high end purchase in this world.

8. Likes boisker, k_e_v, JDR, hairwing530 liked this post

The only guaranteed difference between expensive and inexpensive rods is the price.

It's reasonable to assume that as price goes up so does quality (materials, build etc) and performance (ability to do what it's meant to), but there are plenty of exceptions and that's before you factor in individual preference or an anglers ability to use the rod.

If you buy a rod simply because it's the most expensive, it's unlikely to be the "best". If you buy the cheapest, it's unlikely to be "good enough". If you buy a mid priced rod do you get the best or worst compromise? Answer:

Always buy the one that makes you happiest.

10. Default Re: Difference Between Expensive vs Inexpensive Rods?

The only difference is how much you paid to be disappointed.
    My 5wt Winnie was the worst rod I had.
    My 5wt Butterstick is the best that I have.

Stuck in the middle of winter, with white stuff on the ground. With a cold North wind blowing....I'd give anything to be fishing even the worst convenience store rod right now.

Besides those top of the line supersticks are only useful to those with special skills and knowledge to fully comprehend and take advantage of the nuances of their applicability to those very special challenges that we all encounter once every season or perhaps once in a lifetime. Most of us plebes cannot even begin to understand the abilities we must acquire and hone to make these Jedi sticks perform, and when we are allowed to take a cast with one the simple folk just don't get it.

And most important you must have a fatso line of credit too or a wallet stuffed with hundreds and the desire to be super cool.

But don't fear all that technology will be available in a mid-priced stick in 2 years, or simply wait 3 months and the slightly used ones will be on the market at a deep discount. Then more people can cast really far really fast and not catch fish.

Really they are probably very nice fly rods.
    Last edited by rsagebrush; 02-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Stuck in the middle of winter, with white stuff on the ground. With a cold North wind blowing....I'd give anything to be fishing even the worst convenience store rod right now.
    I'm with you there, pal. Heck, it would do my heart good to SEE some open water.

While I've been fly fishing for about 30 years, most years I fished only 40 to 60 times, so I'm not exactly a hard core fly fisherman. But this thread got me thinking, and I realized that, other than when I go up into my tying room to choose a rod for the day, I don't really give my fly rod much (if any) thought after that point. Thinking about it, I believe the rest of my day is focused on the water, the fish, the shoreline, fly selection, stuff like that. I tend to take the rod for granted. My most expensive rod could be replaced for $250. Cheapest? Well, too embarrassing to say.
    But I am very happy that there are developers of, and a market for high end rods. If it were not for the accomplished and experienced (and apparently affluent) casters who can feel and use the benefits of each new innovation in rod technology, there would be little incentive for manufacturers to make advances. And those advances eventually work their way down the market as they are replaced by even more advances, eventually becoming affordable by the more frugal or less affluent angler.
    As with most discretionary purchase markets, I'm sure there are some new models issued each year whose 'advancements' are vastly overstated by the marketing department. This is critical to survival in a competitive market, I expect. But overall, I believe the existence of high end rods benefits the entire spectrum of fly rods.

(semi-related note: I used to be vocally opposed to competition fly fishing, it being profoundly antithetical to all that I enjoy about fly fishing. But it was pointed out to me that many significant advancements in both technique and equipment have emerged from this activity. While I will likely never participate in a competition, I now have a greater appreciation for its existence and the folks who participate/sponsor. The older I get, the more I realize how little I've learned listening to people who think exactly as I do - I realize that in this age of intractability and our current culture of internet outrage, this can be an unpopular perspective).
    brent

13. Likes karstopo, 1spd1way liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

High end fly rods are like expensive wines. Most of us pretend we can tell the difference. In reality, most can't.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

15. Likes 1spd1way liked this post
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast