Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  65
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Default Re: R.L. Winston Thread

I was looking to upgrade from my Redington Redfly 5/680 and came across a Winston Passport 590 fairly cheap. Reviews I read seemed like it was a good deal though I couldn't cast it prior to purchase. A friend lent me a BIIIX 590 to try. I really liked that rod. Looking for some others reviews and comparisons even though it's a moot point at this time since it'll arrive Wednesday.

I did try Redington's Classic Trout and Hydrogen in 590 but liked the Winston better and the Passport was cheaper than the Hydrogen. Hoping it'll be similar to the B3X. To paraphrase Jeremiah Johnson - "it's only a Passport but its a Winston, couldn't do no better" or something like that.

Default Re: R.L. Winston Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scottinpa View Post
    I was looking to upgrade from my Redington Redfly 5/680 and came across a Winston Passport 590 fairly cheap. Reviews I read seemed like it was a good deal though I couldn't cast it prior to purchase. A friend lent me a BIIIX 590 to try. I really liked that rod. Looking for some others reviews and comparisons even though it's a moot point at this time since it'll arrive Wednesday.

I did try Redington's Classic Trout and Hydrogen in 590 but liked the Winston better and the Passport was cheaper than the Hydrogen. Hoping it'll be similar to the B3X. To paraphrase Jeremiah Johnson - "it's only a Passport but its a Winston, couldn't do no better" or something like that.
    Congrats, my guess is it won't be your last Winston.

Why don't some of the major fly shops carry the Super 10? Is it regarded as too specialized? I built one this summer in 5 weight. It is for nymphing on the high-gradient tailwaters in western Maryland, although I went to the five weight because I hoped to use it on trips like the one I took this July down the Green River in Utah. It served admirably as a dryfly rod, as I hoped. It is my first Winston and the best caster I've every used. I followed factory specs as close as I could on the build. This required turning my own fighting butt and reversing an uplocking reel seat to get the weight as far down as possible. The Utah guide described it as "cork heavy," and it is a bit for casting from a driftboat, but I won't be doing too much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by patapsco View Post
    Why don't some of the major fly shops carry the Super 10? Is it regarded as too specialized? I built one this summer in 5 weight. It is for nymphing on the high-gradient tailwaters in western Maryland, although I went to the five weight because I hoped to use it on trips like the one I took this July down the Green River in Utah. It served admirably as a dryfly rod, as I hoped. It is my first Winston and the best caster I've every used. I followed factory specs as close as I could on the build. This required turning my own fighting butt and reversing an uplocking reel seat to get the weight as far down as possible. The Utah guide described it as "cork heavy," and it is a bit for casting from a driftboat, but I won't be doing too much of that.
    Here in SoCal, the major fly shop, Bob Marriott's,has maybe 40 rods total in it's one floor display rack. The number of fly rods "in-stock" has plummeted in the last several years. If one wants a particular rod, they must order it for the purchaser...these are the rod manufacturers they carry:

There just ain't much to wiggle there anymore. I ordered my 5wt. Super 10 through my shop here in the SF Valley...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

5. Default Re: R.L. Winston Thread

I've had about 20 Winston rods I guess. A few LT's, a few BIIX's, a BIIIX, a few DL4's, a couple pre IM6 rods, several IM6's on Loomis and Winston rolled blanks, and two of the stunning darker flamed 7 foot 9 inch 4/5 weight hollow fluted butt 2/2 quads that Glen Bracket and associates made (Winston only produced about 30 quads under their label, though Sweetgrass has crafted many more since the main cane staff left Winston to start their own workshop years ago). Some f these have been exemplary, some just average, and some in between.

In graphite the standouts are the DL4 81/2 foot 4 and 5 weight rods, a 1975 San Francisco built 8 foot 5 wt from the first year of graphite production for Winston, (just before new owner Tom Morgan moved the shop to Montana), and the BIIX 9 foot 6 weight. The DL4's are difficult rods to find and often fetch $500 to $650 on the secondary market, but are exceptional in their smooth progressive tapers with a bit fuller flex than the IM6 rods of the same line weight. Truly sensory rods that I immediately liked casting. The BIIX 9 foot 6 weight is the only powerful 6 weight in this length that I have cast which offers me a sense of feel that I typically associate with lighter line weight and more moderate actioned rods. Yet it's capable of casting an entire fly line with relative ease (which a good friend of mine did while sampling the taper). It loads well short but also never buckles when pressed - the boron butt kicks in almost like the effect of a parabolic tapered bamboo rod. I have heard some of the rods in the BIIX series criticized for having too soft a tip, however I can assure you that to me or anyone I know personally who has cast this particular model, it most certainly does not.
    The early 8 foot 5 weight is a gem that I doubt I could ever find again should I damage this one. Another rod I immediately liked, a bit quicker than the 8 foot 1 inch Sage LL but still a medium action that can be felt flexing quite deeply down the blank and with a nice amount of mid and butt strength. I fished a size 8 hopper with it this year and it delivered this bulky fly without feeling at all overly taxed.

Plus, there is no graphite production rod that rewards you with such exquisite appointments and aesthetics as Winston, except those from Tom Morgan Rodsmiths (still producing after Tom recently passed, and with new ownership). They are rods you love handling at home in between fishing just to admire!
    Last edited by adrien schnee; 07-30-2017 at 02:20 PM.

6. Likes coolkyle liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by adrien schnee View Post
    In graphite the standouts are...a 1975 San Francisco built 8 foot 5 wt from the first year of graphite production for Winston, (just before new owner Tom Morgan moved the shop to Montana).
    Below is my San Francisco 8 1/2' early Winston graphite which I am holding in reserve for just the right angler to appreciate its uniqueness.

I was friendly with Sam Druckman of BIIx fame and I am one who (with all due respect) regards the tip on certain models to be too soft for precise presentation. This is based though on my 8 1/2'/#4 sample which Sam agreed needed more development but then he was gone to Sweeetgrass, Freestone then...gone. I did test its contemporary revamped BIIIx version this summer, a much improved and very good rod right in Winston's wheelhouse.

8. Likes coolkyle, adrien schnee liked this post

I agree the 9' 6 weight Bllx is a great rod and the only rod my wife will fish. We have 2 of them. Another great individual rod is the 8.5' Bllt 4 weight. This is a medium crisp rod with a great light feel and fantastic accuracy. There are a few outstanding models in each of Winstons model lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. Likes adrien schnee liked this post

I have fished both the 5&6 wt BIIIxs in the 9 ft models. Did not care for the 5 wt as we were nymphing and the rod just did not have the backbone to toss the multi-fly rigs.
    The 6 wt is a different story. Good tip feel and more than enough lower end grunt to make longer casts with the multi- fly combos.

I also spent a day with a 690 Sage X. Not a bad rod but didnt have the range n feel of the 6wt Winston. Could be the Sage didnt have the line well matched to the rod ( it was a borrowed rig).

My fishing partner has an 586 Nexus that is a pretty sweet casting rod. Drys and nymphs are his staples.

12. Likes adrien schnee liked this post

I've been having fun with that BIIT 590 I picked up a month ago. It's one of those rods that match my style so perfectly that it seems to cast itself. The soft tip has its casting limitations, but for general summer fly fishing, this rod is about as good as it gets. With the right line I could see it casting streamers on small brown trout water, but those places aren't fishing well at the moment.

The only thing keeping me from fishing it all the time is I officially declared my Circa 589 my rod of the summer. That's an incredible rod, it keeps surprising me every time I use it. 16' leader with a small spinner? Perfect. Size 6 Chubby and a rubber legs? Shorten the leader, feels like it was designed for the task. Great stick.

14. Likes adrien schnee liked this post
  15. Default Re: R.L. Winston Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Below is my San Francisco 8 1/2' early Winston graphite which I am holding in reserve for just the right angler to appreciate its uniqueness.

I was friendly with Sam Druckman of BIIx fame and I am one who (with all due respect) regards the tip on certain models to be too soft for precise presentation. This is based though on my 8 1/2'/#4 sample which Sam agreed needed more development but then he was gone to Sweeetgrass, Freestone then...gone. I did test its contemporary revamped BIIIx version this summer, a much improved and very good rod right in Winston's wheelhouse.
    Thanks for sharing this rod with us, I appreciate the effort! It's a wonderful looking example from it's era. As the BIIX's go, I know there is quite a lot of variation within the lineup - as there is within a range of line weights and lengths of most rod models - and I certainly don't doubt that the tip on the 81/2 foot 4 wt may be a bit weaker than ideal on this taper. I did not feel that with the six wt however, though others may well appreciate a bit more stiffness as suits their preference.

When you mentioned Sam's passing, I realized that although I am familiar with his design work on the LT, BIIX, Freestone graphites, Sweetgrass prototypes and other rods, I knew little about him. I did know that he passed away far earlier than he ought to have, but I didn't know he was just 54. A great loss at a personal level to so many, and to the fly fishing fraternity. I also had not realized that Sam lived in Boston, Portland, San Francisco and Wellington NZ before moving to Montana in his 30's. As well that he was an accomplished visual artist and active and talented musician. I am sure you feel fortunate to have known him personally and thank you for mentioning him in this thread as an important contributor to Winston and encouraging me to know a bit more about him.

16. Likes coolkyle liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast