Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sage Method 490 and 5wt SA VPT

Default Sage Method 490 and 5wt SA VPT

Needed a new line for my 490 Method. The GPX I had was good, but not great. Not a fan of short or medium sized heads. Lined it up with a VPT 5wt, and man does it sing. SA at the Midwest FF show was really great with letting me try a few lines on my personal rod.

The long taper really tames some of the tip speed, but will still straighten out a 12 foot leader on longer casts

Amazingly, it casts well with this set up at 20 feet.

I bought the rod with the intention of using it as a fast 5wt, not a super fast 4.

I was impressed with it's accuracy and light swing weight when I first test cast it in 2014, but even more so with this new line.

I can feel it flex more, and as i said, a 20 foot cast off the tip is a much nicer cast. Really feels like a fast rod with a softer tip now

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. Likes chi flyfisher, andersr, throssing liked this post

Default Re: Sage Method 490 and 5wt SA VPT

I used to own that rod and also found it to be hard to line properly with a 4 weight line. Amazing how a change in line taper or size can radically change the feel and make a rod come alive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. it'll be interesting to see how rods are classified in the coming years. I can see a grain weight window written on rods vs a specific line rating.

I used to limit myself to recommended line weights. Now I'll pick a rod that i like, and ask myself does this feel good as labeled.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

With that said I think the method is too stiff for a four weight. We are seeing a nice return to true to line weight rods like the Sage X.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk