The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM

roach45 is on a distinguished road
Default Purchase dilemma???

Howdy,
Just curious on some feed back.???
If you saved all the extra change you found in the couch and recycled all your bottles and cans for a year and had enough $$ for a new rod outfit, what would you get?? Two mid range rod outfits or one high end rod outfit. I am VERY brand loyal, it shows in just about everything I have. I was looking at getting the Orvis Recon 4wt and 6wt outfits, but now I'm wondering if I should get a Helios 2 outfit???? Just wondering which way you guys would lean?
Thanks for the input.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard
Default Re: Purchase dilemma???

Hi,

I'd say Hi Roach............. but it just doesn't feel right Now let me see........ what was the question, got it, one rod or two? I've done it both ways but never bought 2 at once for personal use. By this I mean I've bought mid range (price) rods when the money was short and I've went for the gold standard when the money was long. Essentially this is something you may need to sort out in your own mind. If I can swing it I get a bigger bang out of a really good rod than just a rod. However, if you're a good caster you're probably going to be able to squeeze the performance out of the mid range rods so........ Back to the old half dozen to one and 6 to the other choice. I'd probably get the Helios

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM

roach45 is on a distinguished road

Hey Ard,
Thanks for your .02. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time deciding what to do?? A lot of aluminum cans I guess?? And by all means you can call me Roach. I've been at my job for 23 years and most people don't even now my real first name LOL.
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM

goldie66 is on a distinguished road

All else being equal, it would seem a 9' or 8.5' 4wt combined with a 9' 6wt would be much more versatile than, say, just one 9' 5wt.

I don't know much about the recon - other than they are $425. For that same price range, Sage Pulse $450 or Scott Flex $475. Lots of good choices... My casting ability probably could not extract the performance difference between an $800 rod and a $400 rod, so I'd go with the 4wt and 6wt pairing.
Likes myt1 liked this post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 PM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

Easy, buy both USED on Ebay.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

I truly believe midrange rods now have become sooooo good it's not that big a jump in anything but price.
Particularly so in the gap between the two models you're looking at.
I'd wait for the next Orvis coupon to arrive in the mail and jump on two Recons. Done and done.
Likes el jefe liked this post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

If I really saved enough money from bottle returns in one year to buy a Helios 2, I might be better off using the funds for a new liver or pancreas.

Now back on topic, please carry on ..................
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes itchmesir, kentuckysteve, brownbass liked this post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM

coho52 is on a distinguished road

If you ultimately lean toward the H2, I'd recommend waiting a bit. There are rumors the new H3, or whatever it's called, is coming - almost certainly at a higher price than the H2. But along with that, Orvis will likely have a sale on H2's so you could get one at a discount.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 AM

rsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud of

Get the mid priced rod, almost no one could tell the difference if any if they were all finished the same.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I might be better off using the funds for a new liver or pancreas.
Are these things you need? I hope not but also hope you have insurance...and I don't mean a rod company warranty.

Roach, I heard you say brand loyal so I will not offer none-Orvis alternatives which abound. Recons are based on H2 tapers just built with more conventional carbon technology and employing more mundane hardware than H2. So H2 is lighter in weight, a bit more responsive and, well, better looking than Recon. I know I would go with H2 but if you did, which one would you want? Split the difference between #4 and 6 with a 5-wt.? Or, go with the H2 9'/#4 tip, a fine rod, and scrounge more coins to latter get the #6?