Favorite Rod

rockriver

Reaction score
I'll probably really never figure it out; but, for some reason I keep gravitating to a few older rods that I purchased on this forum and my Fenwick FF705 that I purchased new in the 70's. The 3 that seems to jump out to me are all Orvis Rods, a 8 foot Yellowstone, and a 8 foot Trout, both 6 weights, and a 8 1/2 foot Henry's Fork, 5 weight. I keep buying new rods looking for the same magic, but it's just not there. I often wonder where those 3 rods have fished and the fish that were caught.

dennyk

Reaction score
I have a Fenwick 8' 7wt. my dad got me when I was 15 years old that was 44 years ago. I'm going to use it as my dedicated Smallmouth rod this year. One thing about old rods, they just fit like your favorite pair of gloves.

Denny

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have 4 that I REALLY love. A Loomis 6 I built @ 1985. A Heddon 8 glass I got maybe around 1972(?) I rebuilt that one. My TFO TiCrx 8 that has literally traveled around the world with me. My little guy, the Three Forks 7.6 3 wt that I've been having so much fun with. My son has that one in CO for the summer while he's working raft trips with the Boy Scouts. ( Hope I see it again. )

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Today I was using a glass 8', 8wt from the early '50s
It has a LLBean label, but I'm pretty sure that it's a Horrock&Ibbotson build
That rod is a beast. It will cast a full line without batting an eye. :D

sgp

Reaction score
I sold my 490 SLT and regret it to this day. Was a magical rod that I'm still trying to replace.

It was at that point i discovered newer is not always better.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
If a single hander ... A Glass to cast! Done/choice right a total delight.

A 2hander ... talk to Gary Anderson/The Meiz/Steve Gotshall .your rod will be mission specific , cue music, if old enough you will know the tune. Good things!:wiggle:

fae

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Really cool to hear everyone favorites. I have four rods out of seven that are in common rotation, a Sage Pulse 9'6" #5, a Sage VXP 9'#6, a TFO BVK 9' #6, and a TFO Mangrove 9'#7. My favorite? I'd have to say the BVK for smallmouth and the Pulse for trout. The VXP is really growing on me as an all arounder though for trout and bass. But I love those four rods and use them all the time!

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Favorite is a difficult term.

There's a favorite "sentimental" and a favorite to fish. I'd rather not talk about the sentimental one.

My favorite is a new rod. This is highly unusual. I just can't find anything about it that isn't perfect in my hand.

486-4 Sage X

mike_r

Reaction score
Nothing strange about it, IMO.

For several years now, I've rarely kept any of the newer rods that I've fished.

This is my pattern too. My first, an Orvis Henry's Fork 865 is both sentimental and a favorite for light warmwater duties. Tossing streamers and smaller poppers and hair bugs using a WF6F line. I have had some "favored" trout rods but always seem to be seeking just a bit more refinement in my 4-6wt rods. Not sure yet if it's a case of if or when, but those G Loomis/Shimano Asquith rods really have my attention at the moment!

coolkyle

Reaction score
My favorite rod is the one I end up fishing most often. The old Scott Eclipse 905. It lives in my car, and it's always there when I need the perfect rod for streamers on small water or dry flies in the wind.

von behr

Reaction score
In trout sizes, my Burkheimer 8'9" 4 wt is the top choice, followed by an Orvis Superfine Glass 4 wt.

For bigger fish/salt, it's the Sage Z Axis 8 wt and the Xi3 9 wt.

There are many others, and I like them all, but there's just something about certain sticks that makes me want to fish them more often.

Cheers,

-VB

mka

Reaction score
I have some sweet rods that compete for distinction of "favorite rod"...but if I had to pick just one of them it would be my Orvis Seven-Four model bamboo rod. It has soul and is a joy to cast and play fish in waters that range from creeks to mid-size streams...will never part with that rod!

bill_s

Reaction score
Great stories and photographs. I do not have a favorite. I am in the phase of dating any thing that will say yes. I guess I am a "fly rod playboy"!

Hopefully I will be as lucky as others and find that special one, perfect for a long term relationship! Now, I am having a great time "playing the field", enjoying sordid afternoons of casting with unknown rods.

:)