The Right Rod

jujim

Reaction score
Just started getting seriously involved with this stuff last fall. My Brother in law gave all of his equipment to my sons(and me since they live in the dark dirty cities,SF and NYC) Fortunately I live in the wonderful hills and valleys of western Massachusetts. Anyway been using a couple of different rods. All my fishing is medium to small streams 10' _-_150' across, mostly 20-60'. I've been using an older Sage Graphite 3,5wt 9',seems fast and powerful,a Thomas and Thomas Horizon 5wt. 9' which seems medium fast and soft compared to the old Sage.... makes sense doesn't it? I'm looking for more gear,who isn't,anyway you guys are the experts, what rods seem reasonable friends and supporters for the Sage and T&T? Loomis? Scott? Orvis?Thanks,Chet Pielock

clouserguyky

Reaction score
What you've got will probably serve you well. Are you throwing mostly dries, nymphs, streamers? A 9'5 weight is a very versatile tool. I fish a lot of heavy subsurface patterns, so my go-to rod is a 6 weight.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
What's your budget and how many rods are you looking to buy? How do you like to fish?

The 9' 5wt in general seems a bit big for what you're doing. I'd probably be using my 382-4 Sage Little ONE on most of your streams (8'2" 3wt) and maybe even the 282-4 if the flies are #14 and smaller.

This also sounds like a good place for a 486, which IMHO is perfect length and line weight for a trout rod but it is one that appears to be most difficult for designers to get right. My favorite is the 486-4 Sage X.

If you're nymphing, I really have no suggestions. I'm sure others will chime in.

If your budget is generous, I'd pick up a shorter 3wt and 4wt and fish with those along with your favorite 5wt. Keep the second 5wt for a backup and for trips out West.

If the budget is a bit less than you'd hoped, sell one of the 5wt rods and add the proceeds in and by the very best 3wt or 4wt you can afford, as it will be your most-used rod.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Orvis Superfine, the most recent ones are called Carbon, the 8' 4wt is really nice. It would make a great all round small to medium stream rod.
The older 8' Orvis Superfines are also just as nice, the touch has a lot of gold bling.

These are medium fast rods and very smooth. They load well with the designated weight.

You can pay a lot more but really can't find a better rod. If you like fast it will not be for you.

brownbass

Reaction score
I believe you need to make a trip to your local fly shop and talk to the shop people. Try every rod you can and don't let them push you into buying the most expensive rod in the shop unless that's the rod you really want. Read all of the reviews you can. Trident does a good job of reviewing rods and has a try before you buy program as does Allen. Make sure you understand the policies on these trial periods. Allen for instance, says do not remove the wrapping on the rod handle and don't abuse the rod and you have thirty days to try it out.
There is a whole world of learning involved in this sport, and that just makes it better.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Congratulations on receiving two nice rods to get started on, nice brother in-law!

So you have two 9' 5wt rods and you fish small to mid-size streams.

When building a quiver I believe you should jump two line sizes until you get your range of line weights you want to stick with and then fill in the gaps. For example you have 5wt rods so I would go with a 3wt or a 7wt.

In your case I would be looking for a 7'6" or 8' 3wt rod.

In current offerings I can agree on the Orvis Superfine Carbon which is a really nice classic graphite rod. I have one in 7'6" 3wt and it is terrific for small and mid-size streams. I also like the Reddinton Classic Trout and the Allen Heritage in that same size and weight to give you some options in graphite. There are plenty of other nice rods in that size and weight but I have or have had each of these rods so just suggesting from my experience.

If you want to go to a fiberglass rod in the same size and weight that is certainly an option too. They are a different feel than a graphite rod. But perform well on small and mid-size streams. There are a lot of offerings out there but, most of my fiberglass rods are older ones. I did try out the Orvis Superfine Glass and it was pretty nice, I also tried several others but the names escape me right now. I have a Reddington Butterstick and several older Fenwick glass rods that are nice examples of the genre.

If you really want to get in with both feet consider getting in to bamboo rods. I have a Payne 100 taper that I built and it is a sweet heart for dries on a small streams. But for all around dries, wets, nymphs, small streamers I prefer my 7'6" 5wt Perfectionist made by Joe Bradley. Some other really nice bamboo rods and tapers out there that are not too expensive in the used market for example the Orvis bamboo rods are nice, very durable and usually can be purchased at reasonable prices. A 7'6" 3pc 5wt Battenkill taper is a nice New England style small stream rod and usually goes for between $500-$600 dollars on the used market. Orvis is nearby to you and they have a great bamboo repair shop if you ever need it. Nice thing about an older Bamboo rod is it will usually sell for the same price or better than what you paid for it.

Regards,

Tim C.

flytie09

Reaction score
You're good enough now. I fished with a $75 rod for 20 years and still use it. Save your money for lessons and gas money to the river.

It's not the rod or reel. A good angler can outfish 90% of fly anglers with the most modest of tackle. Is expensive tackle nice... yes but the this rod vs that rod discussions are silly guys. If you have to ask... it doesn't matter.

ft09