Has anybody heard of Atlas Bamboo Fly Rods

crittergetter

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a vintage Atlas Bamboo fly rod in a wooden case. Didn't know if it is a high end one or common run of the mill.

Also, What should I look for in Bamboo rods besides tight line guides and good looking cork? Can you see splits or issues without really fishing bamboo?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Atlas rods but............ Here are a few more things to watch for. If the splines are coming unglued you should be able to see the gap, if the rod is varnished (not impregnated) the varnish will check and curdle with age and unacceptable storage conditions, this can be restored but will take finesse. Look for "set" in the sections. A set is a curvature that can occur over time from any of many causes. If the rod has always been stored properly and the cane was cured prior to assembly the set should be minimal. I have removed slight sets with only the heat provided by a 60 watt light bulb. Check the ferrules for tightness and make sure no one ever used pliers (or similar) to disassemble the rod when stuck. You will be surprised at how many people took the vise grips to those old German Silver ferrules to disjoin a rod.

The best judge of a good set of blanks (a rod) is the weight of the assembled sections. I always felt that anything under 5 ounces in an 8'6" 3 piece rod was acceptable. As I learned more about old wood rods I always took my micrometers with me when looking at them. By measuring the tip, mid, and butt you can get a pretty good idea of what the rod may be capable of. You do kind of an average gain of diameter vs. length between the points and the numbers will tell if the taper is progressive or parabolic etc. The only way to really know about an unknown rods characteristics will be to line it and cast it.

Ard

mojo

Reaction score
Never heard of them. It could be Japanese WWII era. Check with Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum

crittergetter

Reaction score
Thanks to the Guru's... :worthy:

Ard I really appreciate how you would analyze a rod. I will print that out for my reading records and future thoughts.

This one wasn't from ebay. Out of all the EBAY rods I have purchased and and sold back I actually went here first to see what everybody thought. This time I didn't even take a look at Ebay.

I am glad to know it isn't the one worth trying out the romance of Bamboo...

If I am going to try Bamboo I think I will pass on something a bit better.

Thanks again
CritterGetter

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You're Welcome,

I am far from expert but have had quite a few and refurbished a bunch of them when they seemed worth the effort. The Heddon rod to watch for at a bargain price is the Black Beauty. They seem to have been the cream of the crop. I used to fish an Ike Walton 9' 3 Pc with a #7 line that was a good streamer rod. These turn up now and then.