Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Winston Fans.......

Lonnie, A very nice more moderate action rod is the Douglas Upstream+ 9'/#'s 5 & 6. Reasonably priced too and good looking.

2. Thanks Lonnie Utah thanked for this post
    Likes clouserguyky liked this post
  3. Default Re: Winston Fans.......

Lonnie, there is an older, but unused 9' #6 Winston Nimbus on Sierra Trading Post for $399 right now. Might be worth looking into if Winston can't give you a rod you like. There are also some 9' #5 Sage Accel's marked down 50% on Cabela's website as well, that many dry-fly enthusiasts like. Both may be a bit faster than you'd like though.

4. Thanks Lonnie Utah thanked for this post

^^ Thanks gentlemen.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

6. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

So I went to one of my local shops yesterday and cast a bunch of rods. I cast a 6 wt nimbus with my 6 wt line (6wt Rio gold) and a 6.5 wt line, a 5wt Kairos up lined with my 6wt line and my 6 wt kairos with my 6 wt line and a 6.5 wt line. To be 100% honest, I liked the feel of the overlined 5 wt the best. However, in the end, I ended up buying a 6.5 wt mpx line for my 6wt.

Casting conditions were not optimal as it was fairly windy, but on the flip side it was under real world conditions. Most of the test casts were at real fishing distances up to about 30'.

With the mpx line, I felt that the rod would do 90-95% of what I want/need it to do. Moreover, it was the quickest fix and involved to least amount of jumping through hoops with the manufacturer.

After talking with the shop owner and sales people, it really wasn't the half over line wt that was the difference, but the agrressive front taper of the MPX. I realize that this has the potential to negatively affect presentation with smaller flies, but I also feel I have enough in my bag of tricks that I can work around it. My issue was getting the rod to load in close. With most of the MPX taper happening in the first 15', it directly addresses that issue.

I'll update again the next time I get on the water.
    "Do yourself a favor. Take a kid fishing." - Franc White aka "The Southern Sportsman"

"Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch but how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." - John Gierach

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

Well let me throw my two cents in I have two Winston B III X rods an 8.6' 3wt and a 9" 5wt. I did a lot of research, spoke to a lot of people before purchasing them, over time, on ebay. The most helpful were the folks at Winston. Their customer service, even before I owned any of their products, was impressive. Their patience and explanations to my newbie questions was really helpful and encouraging. Add to that I love the obvious craftsmanship and how they cast, even in my neophyte hands.
    Last edited by City Rat; 03-08-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I need to stop typing while riding in a train car

9. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456