Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Orvis Clearwater II 906 2 Mid Flex 7.5

Well I went out today and bought my new client rods. I bought two Orvis Clearwater II 906-2 Mid Flex outfits. As I have a couple Batten Kill Bar Stock reels already I substituted the Rocky Mountain Turbine Large Arbor reels. This reduce the combo price by $30.00.

I had the chance to do some casting in the front yard. It cast well. I chose the mid flex because they will be used as client rods and will serve all casting abilities well, from the novice to the more experienced angler. Throws very nice loops and turns over line and leader with ease. I'm hoping to find some clear water later in the week to give it a good test on the water and some fish. Also want to give the reels a good testing. I'll post again through out the season and let everyone know how they do.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

2. Default Re: Orvis Clearwater II 906 2 Mid Flex 7.5

Hey Davo...long time no talk! Funny you should post about this rod as I am currently looking at 6 weights and was considering the Clearwater II! Do you have any prior experience with Orvis rods? How is the fit and finish? Keep us updated!

BTW....I am posting something in the general forum I would like you to look at and give your 2 cents!

Have a good day.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Orvis Clearwater II 906 2 Mid Flex 7.5

Dorian

I have a good deal of experience with orvis rods. I own 6 of them either bought myself or handed down by my Dad. I have to say I've always been impressed with there craftsmanship and their customer service. I have two backpacking rods I've used as client rods for 10 yrs now. Orvis has repaired them about 5 times each. This last fall the replaced my 6 wt with a T3 six weight as apposed to repairing the old one.

The finish and feel of the Clearwater II is very nice.
    Davo

Hmmmm......I've been looking for a new 6wt also. Thanks for the info, Dave!
    Now I just have to decide whether to drive 40 minutes northwest, or 40 minutes southwest (2 nearest Orvis dealers...LOL).
    There's a lake (and trout stream) just minutes from the NW dealer, so I guess that's a no-brainer .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    Hmmmm......I've been looking for a new 6wt also. Thanks for the info, Dave!
    Now I just have to decide whether to drive 40 minutes northwest, or 40 minutes southwest (2 nearest Orvis dealers...LOL).
    There's a lake (and trout stream) just minutes from the NW dealer, so I guess that's a no-brainer .
    With more casting experience under your belt you may want to think about the 6 wt tip flex. I chose the mid flex to accommodate my inexperienced clients.
    Davo

Blog Entries

Also forgot to mention that the clearwater rods come with the full 25yr guarantee!! If you break it they fix it or replace it!!
    Davo

Hi Dave, Joni suggested a tip flex as well. I'm looking to replace a 6wt that
    fell overboard last Fall . It'll be used for smallmouth on the Delaware River,
    and also bigger lake bass: big lake and big bass

Blog Entries

Frank
    I mentioned the tip flex cause I saw in another post you mentioned you liked a fast action rod. Though the wife always get the fast rods and your stuck with the medium. Orvis tip flex are faster action rods.
    Davo

9. Default Re: Orvis Clearwater II 906 2 Mid Flex 7.5

Glad to find this thread!

I just bought a new Clearwater II (mid-flex; I like the slow action stuff right now) and thoroughly enjoy casting it.

But I have a issue I hope y'all can help me with: The darn thing chips so easy and I have no idea how or why. Is that normal for Orvis rods???

I keep it in its case...I assemble it in a grassy spot by the pond where I've been fishing (three times)...and lay it down in the grass when removing a fish...and then take it apart for the walk home. Nothing has hit it, the hook hasn't snagged it, nothing. There are no rocks or stones or pebbles in the grass on the shore. But there are some little chips in the finish at the ferrule ends of the 2nd section and an obvious chip nicked out of the 1st section down by the cork. I honestly have no idea how they got there. Very annoying in an otherwise beautiful rod.

Thoughts?

And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
    Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
    Sermons in stones, and good in everything.

- Shakespeare

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HTiger View Post
    Glad to find this thread!

I just bought a new Clearwater II (mid-flex; I like the slow action stuff right now) and thoroughly enjoy casting it.

But I have a issue I hope y'all can help me with: The darn thing chips so easy and I have no idea how or why. Is that normal for Orvis rods???

I keep it in its case...I assemble it in a grassy spot by the pond where I've been fishing (three times)...and lay it down in the grass when removing a fish...and then take it apart for the walk home. Nothing has hit it, the hook hasn't snagged it, nothing. There are no rocks or stones or pebbles in the grass on the shore. But there are some little chips in the finish at the ferrule ends of the 2nd section and an obvious chip nicked out of the 1st section down by the cork. I honestly have no idea how they got there. Very annoying in an otherwise beautiful rod.

Thoughts?
    Don't have enough experience with mine to know if it is an inherent problem. If I were you I'd take it back to Orvis and get it fixed or replaced. The Clearwater II series comes with the 25yr guarantee.
    Davo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast