Help me pick a rod

tbacala

Reaction score
I haven't fly fished in a long time, so I'll call myself a beginner. I'm looking for a quality rod in 9' 5wt that won't break the bank. I've narrowed he field to:
1. Orvis Clearwater
2. TFO Pro
3. Echo Classic
4. Sage Launch (only if I can find a decent deal on one)
5. Scott V2 (again, only if I can find a decent deal on one)

I know that I'll also need a reel. I'm considering:
1. Orvis Battenkill
2. Orvis Mid Arbor
3. Loomis Venture
4. Lamson Konic

Are there any clear winners and losers here?

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'd say you'd be well served with any of those rods. The Echo would be my pick of that litter.

On the reels, I'd stay away from the Loomis. Its mostly very adequate, but I think they still build it with a exposed roller bearing that can get grit into it. The others would all serve you well. The Ross Cimarron is another worth considering.

wtex50

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Echo...but I've never cast one. I do have a 6 wt Launch that I love....so I would be comfortable recommending that. I agree with Cliff to stay away from the Venture... I have the Orvis BBS and I like it....I've had it for years and no problems. If you are going to get the Battenkill go on and get the BBS....you will be happy with it.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
All the rods you named are good rods. I recently purchased a new 5 wt and after going over all the normal selections I decided to look for a rod builder that I liked. Discuss the types of fishing I wanted to do and where I would be going.

This rod is for a two week trip to Alaska, during which I will spend the majority of the time many miles from the fly shop.

We discussed blanks, wraps, seats, tips, single foot, double foot, 4 piece vs 3piece, etc. In the end he built me a rod that looks great, is sensitve, but he put extra effort into some of the areas to make sure it was durable.

Ultimately I enjoyed participating the building of my new rod............that would be my recommendation.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi tbacala,

You have a good selection of rods and anyone of them would be a fine beginner rod. I have to go along with the boys on the Venture. I think any of the other reels would be a good choice.

Frank

FrankB2

Reaction score
You'll want a decent line as well. It looks like you want to keep the cost
down, and I'd put more money into the rod and line, and draw funds away
from the reel.

Since you say you're a beginner, what type of fishing would you like to do?
Don't overlook the option of an 8'6" rod. I have rods that range from 7'6"
to 9', and really prefer an 8'6" 5wt. If you siphon funds away from the reel,
a St. Croix Avid could be a fine rod.

I bought a Crystal River Cahill reel for one of my 4wt rods a few years ago.
A poster on another website said that he bought one because of its light
weight, and also because he was looking for something that simply holds line.
I paid $12 at Sports Authority, and the reel weighs 3.5oz. It's held up just
dandy, and even has a functional drag. Going that route would free up $$$
that would be better spent on the rod and line:wink: . A snazzy reel can
be purchased at a later date.....

Davo

Reaction score
I just picked up two Clearwater II 906-2 6wt mid flex combos, I sustituted the Rocky Mountain Turbine III large arbor reels since I already have enough BBS reels. I have not had the chance to try them on the water yet but have cast them about the yard. They are very nice. Have a light feel to them and a good finish. They come with the Orvis 25yr guarantee too which is good. Can't say too much on the reels till I test them out on some fish. Substituting them in the combo did reduce the price about $30.00 dollars each, and I've been wanting a couple large arbors.

tightlines57

Reaction score
I haven't fly fished in a long time, so I'll call myself a beginner. I'm looking for a quality rod in 9' 5wt that won't break the bank. I've narrowed he field to:
1. Orvis Clearwater
2. TFO Pro
3. Echo Classic
4. Sage Launch (only if I can find a decent deal on one)
5. Scott V2 (again, only if I can find a decent deal on one)

Are there any clear winners and losers here?
I have a couple TFO Pros and an older Scott. I use the Scott the most. It may cost a little more but you get what you pay for. Being a slow caster it works best for me.

I am also impressed with the TFO rods (thanks Cliff). For the price they cast very well.

If possible, cast them all to see what works best for you. You can't go wrong with any of the rods you mentioned.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I recently bought a rod in the same price range and ended up going with an Albright A-5. I like it a lot. I did almost buy the Echo Classic rod and did get a chance to cast it and like it a lot as well. Do an internet search for the Albright and see if you can find anyone near you that has them and cast it. Also read any reviews about em you can find. Good luck in your search!

tbacala

Reaction score
Thanks for the input

Thanks for all the input guys.

I was all set to buy an TFO Pro rod with an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor reel and line from Fly Shop Closeouts.com for $222, but when I called they told me they were waiting on a deliver of 9' TFO rods.

After that call, I ran across a decent deal on a Sage Launch and bought it instead. I am waiting on the rod to be delivered and in the meantime, I'll be looking at reels--right now I'm inclined toward Orvis reels since I've been happy with an 8/9 Battenkill that I've owned for a while.

Again, I appreciate all of you taking time to give a novice some advice.

tbacala

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me pick a rod (and reel)

Thanks for all of the advice guys. My new outfit consists of a 905-4 Sage Launch rod and an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor III reel that is loaded with WF5F Orvis Wonderline.

Prior to getting this outfit, the only other fly rod in my arsenal (except for some 40 year old fiberglass rods) was an 8wt rod built on a St Croix SCIV blank (that has gotten very little use). My knowledge of fly casting, to say the least, is very limited.

With my minimal experience in mind, here is my first impression of this combination. The Launch rod is light in the hand and casts beautifully up to about 50'. Beyond that distance, I am having trouble generating enough line speed for distance casting. At this point, I'm sure that this limitation is due to my inexperience and not to the rod.

One thing that is very noticeable is that the Sage is a lot more "limber" than the 8 weight St. Croix. Its a whole lot lighter too. With the 8 weight, casts of 65+ feet are fairly easy and I think that I'm using too much of the same casting stroke with the Launch. They are so different that I think I'll have to adopt a different casting stroke when using the Launch.

As to the reel, I'm really satisfied. It is a slick piece of equipment (although I know that there are a lot of reels out there that are its equal, and probably a few that are better).

Now for the best part. With a little patience, I was able to put this whole outfit together for $235. The rod, which was brand new, cost me $145 shipped and the reel, that was like new, came complete with line for $90 shipped. Both were bought off of E-Bay.

All in all, I'd give high marks to this combination. I just need a little time on the water to get better with the Launch.

tbacala

Reaction score
Price of Launch

George, when it comes to getting deals, I'm not lucky often, but I think that I hit a home run on this one. The Launch still had tags attached and the warranty card included. It was absolutely brand spanking new.

I think that I was just as lucky with the reel considering that it came with Orvis Wonderline. The reel is used, but it could easily pass as brand new--not a scratch or blemish on it. As to the line, it looks new as well. The seller said that the reel and line had been used less than ten times.

By my estimation, I got a $375 rig for $235. I'm happy!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I also have a battenkill mid arbor but the iv instead of iii. that is prolly the best reel I have owned in my life! what a smooth feel! you will enjoy that combo for sure!!! I am gonna have to keep my eyes open more on ebay. I have got my fair shares of deals on there but been slacking lately.

tbacala

Reaction score
E-Bay deals

George, the rod was for sale as a "Buy it now or Best Offer". That is something that I hadn't seen before. Anyway, the "Buy it Now" price was $195, so perhaps that scared a few people off. I offered $100, which was declined with a counter offer of $145 shipped. I grabbed it. Keep an eye open for those "Best Offer" sales. I hadn't bid any of those before, but now I think it could be a better way to buy than competing against other bidders.

flygrl53

Reaction score
I'd demo one of the AEG 590 rods before I'd make a decision. The same blank that AEG is dressing up with newer components used to be Loops Grey Line, a $700 fly rod, while the AEG 590 is retailing for $370. I bought one recently and its a casting machine.