Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

8'6" is my favorite rod length, for jungle streams to open lakes......

2. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    8'6" is my favorite rod length, for jungle streams to open lakes......
    How tall are you? I think that height has something to do with this preference (most of the people who prefer 8' or 8'6" seem to be taller folks).

Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

I'm 6'1" tall (actually 6'1 3/4" ). I own rods ranging from 7'6" to 9', and
    always go for the 8'6" rods. I might have to thin the herd...LOL!

4. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

I am going to echo the 8 1/2' er. I DO have a 10' 5wt. and it is great for bigger rivers. Able to mend easier, and that kind of stuff, and sure it roll casts nice, but to be honest, I can roll cast just as far with my 8'6" Winston. Flex has more to do with the roll casting than anything.
    To put it easy terms...ME as the caster, I can make an 8 1/2' rod do everything a ten foot can do and just as easy.
    There are limits to where a 10' can be used where the 8 1/2' just about anywhere.
    MAYBE and that is a big maybe, a ten footer shines more on stillwater in a tube or toon, but again...not to me.
    In fact the only reason I bout the 10' was for the big rivers like the Snake where the currents can be going in three different directions, but recently found out (cause I just recently got the JWF) that the smaller rod does just fine.

5. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. I only have two rods right now. A 7'6" 3wt. that I use for small creeks, and a 9' 5wt. that I use for everything else. The creeks that I fish are typically no wider than 8-12 feet I think, with some overgrown bushy areas. I love having my smaller creek rod for that. I find that when fishing the small creeks I don't really cast that often. I really like my 5 wt., but find that the 7'6" is great for my situation. I don't think I would be mad if it was 8', but 8'6" would be to unwieldy in the tight quarters I am in sometimes I think. Again, this is all coming from a beginner so take it with a grain of salt. BTW....yesterday I caught a 14" rainbow on that 3 wt. and it was a blast!!

6. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

Dorion, you need to take at least one day off this coming up weekend and grab a float tube or Pontoon and come down to Malad, for a great time.

Oh yeah, bring some samples from the Carilno's for us to sample, ;-)

7. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

Wish I could Joni! I used up my fishing allowance yesterday at Birch Creek though. Having 2 kids under 4 and a new house (putting a yard in right now) puts a limit on how much I can get out. Fortunately I have a wife that doesn't pitch a fit and understands I need to get out every so often. I would love to meet up with all the great people I have met on these boards sometime though!

8. Default Re: Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

I just purchased my first fly a month ago. I bought a 8'6" winston. I fish mainly on really tight streams. I was going to go with a 7' rod but the guy at the shop talked me into getting the longer rod. I'm glad I went the longer because it's easier to keep the line out of strong current sections and easier to cast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12