Long Rods and Woody Overgrowth

pneumatic

Reaction score
This is pretty much my final question before I plunk down the bucks on my first fly outfit.

If I am fishing in a small river that runs through a Michigan jungle (quite literally - I don't know how to better describe a river that has been swallowed by trees and brush), am I going to regret going with the highly-recommended 9 foot rod? Mind you, I currently spin fish with a 10.5' noodle rod and, while it is a pain in the butt sometimes, it certainly gets the job done.

Since fly fishing is a different animal than spin fishing, I am hesitant here. Maybe my goal of covering my needs with 2 rigs will turn into three (maybe a buttery 7 foot 4wt for the jungle fishing)? I think that I've answered my own question but would like confirmation from the ever-so-helpful residents here (seriously - very helpful - thanks).

Is the length of the rod a huge concern even after one develops some precision into their casting skill?

Mind you, I certainly expect to leverage multiple rigs in the future, as needed - I'm just trying to work that dreaded bang-buck equation into my initial purchase so that I can get some broad exposure to the sport in order to better make my own decisions in the future.

catman

Reaction score
I also have short 7' 6" 3-4wt 4pc rod for the jungle area's here in N Ark.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Because they roll cast so much better, a long rod is sometimes better in heavily wooded streams. It varies quite a bit from one stream to the next though. I would also say that the longer rods are more likely to be most effective if you are wading rather than fishing from the bank.

pneumatic

Reaction score
Because they roll cast so much better, a long rod is sometimes better in heavily wooded streams.
That was one comment that I heard during my practice casts at various shops so it is good to hear it reinforced. Maybe this is one of those times that I should NOT "dare to be different" and just go with the "most popular" rod size so that I can figure out where I need to go equipment-wise.

Again - appreciate the comments. If the gear wasn't so dag-blasted beautiful in-and-of itself, this would be easy. But some of this stuff is pretty enough to hang in a museum.

And that is a really seductive from a financial perspective.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Well, in your shoes, a 8'6" rod might be more ideal. I was just getting at the idea that a 7' rod is not always the way to go.

philthy

Reaction score
I'll agree with Bigcliff on this one as well. I do have a 7'10" rod I use on small streams, but also have another 3wt that's 8'9" that I use from time to time. Roll casting is so much easier with a longer rod. Last summer, our guide took my 8'6" 5 wt away from me and had me use Debbie's 7' 4wt so she would have an easier time. Made all the difference in the world for her! Besides, if you're like the rest of us, you'll soon have more than one of those "purty" rods. I haven't really seen a rod that I haven't liked. There's some real beauties out there!

Phil

pneumatic

Reaction score
Besides, if you're like the rest of us, you'll soon have more than one of those "purty" rods. I haven't really seen a rod that I haven't liked. There's some real beauties out there!
Are you The Devil?

Are there meetings that I can attend?

philthy

Reaction score
Who, me? :icon_twis

Of course, there's meetings you can attend. Trout Unlimited, at your local fly shop, etc. Glad I could help!

shorthaul

Reaction score
A lot of years ago I got on a short rod "kick" when fishing some of the tight overgrown freestoners in western Pa. I found myself casting with my arm straight up almost---making the rod 2 ft longer and my arm being the butt section of the rod. The shortest rod I own now is an orvis far and fine that is 7'9". That is the rod I would take on an overgrown stream.

I find it a pain to work a long rod in some of the overgrown streams.

burk48237

Reaction score
Many of the guides in the Smokies find an 8' 4 weight is about perfect for most inexperienced anglers on small streams. I use a 6'6" fiberglass a lot on smaller water like the N. Branch of the Ausable, but I've been doing it for a while. You'll definitely do more flipping, dabbing, and dropping then casting on most small steams. I wouldn't go larger then an 8'6" though, you have to carry it through the woods to get to your small stream too.

pneumatic

Reaction score
8'6" is my favorite rod length, for jungle streams to open lakes......
How tall are you? I think that height has something to do with this preference (most of the people who prefer 8' or 8'6" seem to be taller folks).

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'm 6'1" tall (actually 6'1 3/4" :D ). I own rods ranging from 7'6" to 9', and
always go for the 8'6" rods. I might have to thin the herd...LOL!

Joni

Reaction score
I am going to echo the 8 1/2' er. I DO have a 10' 5wt. and it is great for bigger rivers. Able to mend easier, and that kind of stuff, and sure it roll casts nice, but to be honest, I can roll cast just as far with my 8'6" Winston. Flex has more to do with the roll casting than anything.
To put it easy terms...ME as the caster, I can make an 8 1/2' rod do everything a ten foot can do and just as easy.
There are limits to where a 10' can be used where the 8 1/2' just about anywhere.
MAYBE and that is a big maybe, a ten footer shines more on stillwater in a tube or toon, but again...not to me.
In fact the only reason I bout the 10' was for the big rivers like the Snake where the currents can be going in three different directions, but recently found out (cause I just recently got the JWF) that the smaller rod does just fine.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. I only have two rods right now. A 7'6" 3wt. that I use for small creeks, and a 9' 5wt. that I use for everything else. The creeks that I fish are typically no wider than 8-12 feet I think, with some overgrown bushy areas. I love having my smaller creek rod for that. I find that when fishing the small creeks I don't really cast that often. I really like my 5 wt., but find that the 7'6" is great for my situation. I don't think I would be mad if it was 8', but 8'6" would be to unwieldy in the tight quarters I am in sometimes I think. Again, this is all coming from a beginner so take it with a grain of salt. BTW....yesterday I caught a 14" rainbow on that 3 wt. and it was a blast!!

Joni

Reaction score
Dorion, you need to take at least one day off this coming up weekend and grab a float tube or Pontoon and come down to Malad, for a great time.

Oh yeah, bring some samples from the Carilno's for us to sample, ;-)

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Wish I could Joni! I used up my fishing allowance yesterday at Birch Creek though. Having 2 kids under 4 and a new house (putting a yard in right now) puts a limit on how much I can get out. Fortunately I have a wife that doesn't pitch a fit and understands I need to get out every so often. I would love to meet up with all the great people I have met on these boards sometime though!

brokeONE

Reaction score
I just purchased my first fly a month ago. I bought a 8'6" winston. I fish mainly on really tight streams. I was going to go with a 7' rod but the guy at the shop talked me into getting the longer rod. I'm glad I went the longer because it's easier to keep the line out of strong current sections and easier to cast.