Scott Radian

deanb10s

Reaction score
Went out with my new Radian 590. It was nice but didn't blow me away. I have the Zenith which is really, really nice. Maybe I'm missing something... or just need to use it more. Used Rio Gold line.
I cast a friends Winston LS 586 last week and it was awesome.
Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zjory

Reaction score
Exact same rod with same line is my go to for Colorado trout fishing. Favorite all around rod I've ever cast. Different strokes, I suppose.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Went out with my new Radian 590. It was nice but didn't blow me away. I have the Zenith which is really, really nice. Maybe I'm missing something... or just need to use it more. Used Rio Gold line.
I cast a friends Winston LS 586 last week and it was awesome.
Suggestions?

Sometimes rods that blow others away just aren't your cup of tea. I had a 590 Sage Z-Axis that most people love, not for me. I'm a big fan of the Radian, but I'd never try to talk someone else into loving it if they didn't. You might fall into the S&S camp who are put off by the abrupt taper from soft tip to stiffer butt section. There are other equally experienced anglers who love the Radian.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
I liked mine until I finally got a G2. Sold my Radian 905 and bought another G2 on sale and a reel. It's a nice rod but the G2 more my speed

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You might fall into the S&S camp who are put off by the abrupt taper from soft tip to stiffer butt section.
I've cast Radian #'s 5 and 6 so far this season and they are indeed very nice rods. Yes, I am on record of hoping for a taper refined R2 but Radian is a serious contender as is. Zenith 9'/#5 has a more fast end of medium fast progressive taper with more lower taper grunt and a crisper tip than Radian. A different design that I consider the logical alterative to cross compare Radian to. For those that missed out on Zenith, do not despair, current Douglas SKY is in many ways a lot like a refined, smoother Zenith with related DNA and from the same fine Korean rod shop.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Before throwing the baby out with the bath water I'd try a new line. I don't own but have cast the radian and I thought it was sweet.

I bought a zaxis when they were the cool stick to have and hated it going through GPX, Gold (a line I like) , rio trout LT,and finally SA Sharkwave trout taper. That rod when from finding a new home on Craigslist to me buying it a new reel to adorn it since the rod then instantly became a favorite.

Obviously lines aren't cheap but if you can experiment it might make all the difference in the world.

coolhand

Reaction score
I hesitate to start participating in this forum again, as my experiences and advice run counter to some of the more prominent "experts" that post here. But, I am a glutton for punishment. So, here it goes.

I do NOT like the Rio Gold on any Radian.

But, I don't like the Rio Gold in general (I know, heresy to many posters here). I find that the tip on that line is not terribly stable and is prone to tailing loops if you are not careful with power application. Also, I find that it doesn't load the rod (especially faster action rods) at shortish distances. My last, and most serious issue with Rio lines are that their durability is lacking and they lose their slickness quickly.

If you can test a Mastery GPX/MPX or Airflo Exceed, or if you are a Rio guy, a Rio Perception, on this rod you will probably be happier.

deanb10s

Reaction score
I agree with losing its slickness. I've noticed it gets sticky in hot weather. I'll try a few new lines on it. Thanks for everyone's input.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I do NOT like the Rio Gold on any Radian.

But, I don't like the Rio Gold in general

yes a lot of Rio Gold fans here, frankly for me its a love / hate line. I love it on some rods like my 5wt Zenith, 6WT ONE , but hate it on smaller trout sized rods aka 4wt and under. I prefer the SA Trout line or even Rio Trout on a 1wt.

As far as tailing loops, I couldn't tell you I am not that good. Durability yeah same here I see the slickness go and propensity for the first few feet of Gold to sink more regularly than my other lines.

Could be all the damn pine trees I cast in to as well though :)

edreilly

Reaction score
Firstly I will say that I am a big fan of the Radian 905. It is my "do everything" rod for out west. I feel like I can go anywhere, in any weather and be in good shape with it.

That being said I have spent some time this season with a different 8 1/2 foot 5 weight, and a 4 wgt in the same length and I really like it. There is a much lighter feel to the slightly shorter rod.

I wonder how much of the different you are feeling from the 905 Radian to the 865 LS is the taper/design and how much is the lower swing weight of the shorter length? (I know length is a critical part of design but you get my drift)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Firstly I will say that I am a big fan of the Radian 905. It is my "do everything" rod for out west. I feel like I can go anywhere, in any weather and be in good shape with it.

That being said I have spent some time this season with a different 8 1/2 foot 5 weight, and a 4 wgt in the same length and I really like it. There is a much lighter feel to the slightly shorter rod.

I wonder how much of the different you are feeling from the 905 Radian to the 865 LS is the taper/design and how much is the lower swing weight of the shorter length? (I know length is a critical part of design but you get my drift)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My buddy had a 590 SP and I had a 586, I liked my 8.5' much more than his 9'er. Like you say, noticeably less swing weight and felt a little quicker but still SP sweet. That said, I love my 905 Radian.

ixoye

Reaction score
Radian 905 with GPX (MPX) worked well for me, but I didn't like the rod so much, especially the stiff butt to a mushy tip, and the high swing weight wasn't in my liking either, so I sold it.

Last edited:

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Sometimes rods that blow others away just aren't your cup of tea. I had a 590 Sage Z-Axis that most people love, not for me. I'm a big fan of the Radian, but I'd never try to talk someone else into loving it if they didn't. You might fall into the S&S camp who are put off by the abrupt taper from soft tip to stiffer butt section. There are other equally experienced anglers who love the Radian.
That's funny. If there is a Sage rod that feels similar to Radian in my hand, it is Z-Axis. The Z is more powerful and has that RP butt and Radian feels lighter, but both have that door hinge placed about 2/3 up the taper which connects a stiff butt to a mushy tip. Both remind me of modern versions of BIIx.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
That's funny. If there is a Sage rod that feels similar to Radian in my hand, it is Z-Axis. The Z is more powerful and has that RP butt and Radian feels lighter, but both have that door hinge placed about 2/3 up the taper which connects a stiff butt to a mushy tip. Both remind me of modern versions of BIIx.
I went from a #5 SP which broke to be replaced by the Z-Axis coupled with a SA Ultimate Trout Taper Sharkskin. I just didn't like it, so sold it and bought a 590 One. I liked that better, but fell in love with the Radia when it came out, so I traded the One plus $150 for a 905 Radian. I paired the Radian with a Rio Gold. I have a feeling if I had a Rio Gold on the Z-Axis to start with I would have been happy with it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I also consider the Z-Axis to be the conceptual predecessor to Radian. Z- was heavier but also more powerful and smoother. I still have my 9'/#5 but after ONE came out, the Z- only sees the dark inner of its tube. However, both Z-Axis and Radian are very fine rods, loved by many and mated with a balancing reel and the right line can be a joy to fish. I like Gold a lot, particularly the newer IT version but for those who do not and/or those who object to the feel and sounds of the SA Ultimate Trout (a very similar taper concept to Gold), there are three other lines to try. SA's own (the original) smooth Mastery Expert Distance Taper (true to weight), also true, new Cortland Omni-Verse (a line I am thoroughly digging) and, for those favoring a half heavy line like MPX, try Cortland's moss green Modern Trout a 150 gr. long head, long rear taper $60 line. I'll bet it would be a fine match for Radian.

https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/freshwater-fly-line/products/modern-trout

jonnyking

Reaction score
I love my 905 Radian, which replaced a 590 Sage One for me. I found it better both in close and at long range (which is an issue on my home rivers in the Delaware system). Like all rods, it responds differently to different lines. I like it -- sort of -- with a Rio Gold, but have found other lines that perform much better with it. In particular, I really, really like a Triangle Taper Plus. I've always been a Rio guy, but the TT Plus with the Radian is a really excellent combo. Rio Perception is good too, and seems to bring a little more life out of the Radian, and I don't find the Perception to be overly clunky or heavy either, even with 15 foot leaders, #20 BWOs. But again, the TT Plus just works on the Radian. As a point of contrast, I've been fishing a Thomas & Thomas Avantt the last month on the Delaware system, and have been liking it a lot too. It's a very quick, crisp rod, and it really turns over long leaders well. Again the TT Plus is great, and for whatever reason, the Gold is nicer on the the Avantt than the Radian. It's interesting to shuttle back and forth between both rods, which are on the faster side of the spectrum, but sooo different. The T&T is really zippy/crisp, whereas the Scott is maybe a little gentler/smoother, but again, no problem with 6X and long leaders. I tend to like quicker rods, for what it's worth. Anyway, maybe the Radian is not for you, but try that Triangle Taper.

scoutm

Reaction score
... I've been fishing a Thomas & Thomas Avantt the last month on the Delaware system, and have been liking it a lot too. It's a very quick, crisp rod, and it really turns over long leaders well. Again the TT Plus is great, and for whatever reason, the Gold is nicer on the the Avantt than the Radian. It's interesting to shuttle back and forth between both rods, which are on the faster side of the spectrum, but sooo different. The T&T is really zippy/crisp, whereas the Scott is maybe a little gentler/smoother, but again, no problem with 6X and long leaders. I tend to like quicker rods, for what it's worth. Anyway, maybe the Radian is not for you, but try that Triangle Taper.
If you have the chance you should try SA Mastery Trout on your Avantt - That's what I fish mine with and it's fantastic.

Mastery Trout Fly Line | Scientific Anglers

I've also used a 5wt SA Anadro on my 6wt Sage salt and it was great too. They now make the Mastery Anadro in a 4wt so I was thinking of giving it a try on one of my 5wts. The 4wt version is two grains heavier than a 5wt Rio gold with a taper that's shorter on the front and longer in the belly and rear taper. Should be great for large dries, hopper/dropper and double nymph rigs.

Mastery Anadro Fly Line | Scientific Anglers