The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM

gidva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scott Fly Rod Company was in town today

I still have the airflo distance on my 5 wt but on the 6 wt I moved from airflo I find them squishy and honestly too soft. They float higher and longer but yhey tangle too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
As for Sage, it seems sage is Scott's biggest rival, but only in sales. Sage builds great blanks, but the rest that goes on the rod is lower end. His words, not mine.
I think Sage is everyone's biggest rival, in terms of sales; they're the 800-pound gorilla of the industry. And Sage unquestionably makes great blanks. I own several myself.

Having built several rods myself, and in the process understanding the components that Sage puts on their rods, I'd have to agree with what that gentleman said. That was not always true. Sage used to put Struble reel seats on their rods, with very nice, if not highly figured, spacers. The butt ends of their rods are now mediocre. The guides were Hopkins & Holloway, which were the best at the time. Some like the REC RECoil guides, but I am not a fan. Scott, though, is transitioning to Snake Brand Universal guides and Fuji strippers for it's guides. Those guides cost a lot more, around 3x what Sage's guide sets cost. And they're better guides. I used to use H&H guides when building my rods, but have switched to the Snake Universals now. Scott puts great components on their rods, like the REC self-indexing reel seat. They've taken a few chances with aesthetics on their reel seats, but they have worked out.

To follow up on the customer service aspect of Scott, working through Telluride Anglers--a huge Scott retailer near Scott's factory--I had a vision of a certain rod. It was a Radian 906. But what I had in mind was a little out in left field. At the 6-weight level, I like to do different things with my rod. I wanted a Radian with the regular grip for trout fishing in rivers with dries and nymphs, and a fighting butt section for streamers and the heavy stuff for heavier fish. TA said they would talk with Scott, and called me back and said Scott would do it, but since it was funky configuration--a five-piece rod, essentially--that the extra section would probably just come in a PVC tube, or something like that. Well, when TA shipped the rod after they received it from Scott, I opened up their package to see a single tube. I was scratching my head, expecting some sort of temporary packaging for the extra section. I wondered if Scott hadn't gotten my order right. I opened up the tube to see that Scott had a custom sock with a two wide spaces for the two butt sections, and all five sections fit into that single tube rolled up like it was designed that way from the start. And then I noticed that the tube was a 2.5" tube, rather than the standard 2" tube used for their standard 4-piece trout rods. And I had my two butt sections with matching serial numbers. Scott had not only fulfilled my vision, but went the extra mile to package it all up like it was something they just did every day. I was utterly stunned. The only difficulty was in registering the rod, because I didn't know what model to put on the form. So I called Scott, and the nice woman that answered listened to my story, and said, "Oh, yeah, I remember that rod," and helped get the registration work done.

Scott claims that they make fishing tools, and that rod alone is ultimate proof of that. I have used that rod for all of its intended situations, and there is no better rod in my arsenal. That rod does more things in a single package than anything else out there. And Scott and TA made it all happen. By the way, TA's customer service is right there with Scott's; order a rod from TA, and you get a hand-written thank you note from them.

So not only does Scott appoint their rods with better components, but their customer service is exemplary. Think you'll get Jerry Siem if you call Sage, much less any other live person?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 11 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 PM

zjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to behold

Great post. I never heard anything about this or I might have checked it out. Last two rods I bought were a Radian and a Flex. Next time I buy a rod, Scotts will be what I cast first.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes scotty macfly, errock_22 liked this post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM

errock_22 will become famous soon enougherrock_22 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
I think Sage is everyone's biggest rival, in terms of sales; they're the 800-pound gorilla of the industry. And Sage unquestionably makes great blanks. I own several myself.

Having built several rods myself, and in the process understanding the components that Sage puts on their rods, I'd have to agree with what that gentleman said. That was not always true. Sage used to put Struble reel seats on their rods, with very nice, if not highly figured, spacers. The butt ends of their rods are now mediocre. The guides were Hopkins & Holloway, which were the best at the time. Some like the REC RECoil guides, but I am not a fan. Scott, though, is transitioning to Snake Brand Universal guides and Fuji strippers for it's guides. Those guides cost a lot more, around 3x what Sage's guide sets cost. And they're better guides. I used to use H&H guides when building my rods, but have switched to the Snake Universals now. Scott puts great components on their rods, like the REC self-indexing reel seat. They've taken a few chances with aesthetics on their reel seats, but they have worked out.

To follow up on the customer service aspect of Scott, working through Telluride Anglers--a huge Scott retailer near Scott's factory--I had a vision of a certain rod. It was a Radian 906. But what I had in mind was a little out in left field. At the 6-weight level, I like to do different things with my rod. I wanted a Radian with the regular grip for trout fishing in rivers with dries and nymphs, and a fighting butt section for streamers and the heavy stuff for heavier fish. TA said they would talk with Scott, and called me back and said Scott would do it, but since it was funky configuration--a five-piece rod, essentially--that the extra section would probably just come in a PVC tube, or something like that. Well, when TA shipped the rod after they received it from Scott, I opened up their package to see a single tube. I was scratching my head, expecting some sort of temporary packaging for the extra section. I wondered if Scott hadn't gotten my order right. I opened up the tube to see that Scott had a custom sock with a two wide spaces for the two butt sections, and all five sections fit into that single tube rolled up like it was designed that way from the start. And then I noticed that the tube was a 2.5" tube, rather than the standard 2" tube used for their standard 4-piece trout rods. And I had my two butt sections with matching serial numbers. Scott had not only fulfilled my vision, but went the extra mile to package it all up like it was something they just did every day. I was utterly stunned. The only difficulty was in registering the rod, because I didn't know what model to put on the form. So I called Scott, and the nice woman that answered listened to my story, and said, "Oh, yeah, I remember that rod," and helped get the registration work done.

Scott claims that they make fishing tools, and that rod alone is ultimate proof of that. I have used that rod for all of its intended situations, and there is no better rod in my arsenal. That rod does more things in a single package than anything else out there. And Scott and TA made it all happen. By the way, TA's customer service is right there with Scott's; order a rod from TA, and you get a hand-written thank you note from them.

So not only does Scott appoint their rods with better components, but their customer service is exemplary. Think you'll get Jerry Siem if you call Sage, much less any other live person?

Yep, same experience with Telluride Angler. I purchase all my rods through them, GREAT customer service!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes scotty macfly liked this post