The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 PM

scotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scott Fly Rod Company was in town today

And I had some fun and learned a ton of info. They had a fly rod demo and you could cast their rods and put in for a raffle.

I did cast every model they had, and for practical reasons, and liking rods for special tasks, I thought how each rod would suit a purpose and that wasn't too hard. I compared the Tidal against the Meridian, and though the Tidal has a slower and smoother cast which I like, what killed it for me was the physical weight of the rod. Compared to the Meridian, it was considerably heavier, but it will send some line flying. The Meridian was a faster rod no doubt, and felt so much lighter in my hand, it was sheer pleasure to play with, and when I learned to cast from the butt of the rod and not the tip, I was able to cast the entire line. And Iím not one for 100ft. casts, but with this rod, I couldnít resist.

Of course the Radian was there in all its glory, and I tried it in different weights. I liked it in 4wts. to the 6wts., & these were 9′ models, but the 7í6″ 3wt was way too fast.

As for the new G series, the 9ft 4wt was too stiff. It was a little faster than I thought itíd be. I then tried the 884, and now weíre getting somewhere I thought. It was a little softer, and I thought it would do well on a river like the Poudre. But the 844 was sweet. It had a deeper bend, and a relaxed smooth cast. Funny, usually when you go shorter, the rods get a little stiffer, but this was not the case with the G series. Even Theo from Scott admitted it was unique in that way.
I have to be honest. There isnít too many rods that can get me all giddy inside, but this rod is one of the few that made me giggle when casting it.
I did ask if Scott was going to make a mid priced rod similar to the new G series, and they said no. The Flex and Tidal were going to be the only ones.

The Flex was next. A good solid mid priced rod, and sure to stick around awhile, and even though many people say itís the child developed between the Radian & Meridian, I soon discovered not to even go there. To me, it is itís own individual self. Great rod for the money, and surely a huge step up from the A4 series, but itís on itís own plain. It casts well, and itís light in the hand, very accurate, and it looks as good as the more expensive rods. Just looking at it youíd think it would be a high end rod, but itís not. But itís dang close. Real close.

Not near as many people showed up to cast the demo rods as I thought would, probably due to weak advertising. When things were at a close, I was the only person there who put in a raffle ticket, and thatís when I walked away with hats & shirts for nothing but being there and enjoying the day with Jake & Theo from Scott.

I learned a lot about Scott Rods today, how they are constructed to the quality materials they use, and the differences in Scott Rods compared to other brand name rods. Let me tell you, it seems Scott has itís head on straight, and they are excited about the rods they have to offer, and strive to look for better materials all the time. But right now, as it was explained to me and some other folks, what they have will stay for awhile because at this day and time, they donít know of any better materials to make their rods with. But they continue to look. The only material they get thatís not made in America is the cork. And I can easily understand that being it comes from Portugal. Everything else is American made.

Great people making a great product in this great country. What more could you ask for?
Likes sweetandsalt, clouserguyky liked this post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:14 AM

fishrat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scott Fly Rod Company was in town today

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
What more could you ask for?
Maybe a rod for a raffle prize instead of a cap or t-shirt?

-Sounds like a fun time though. I really want a 4 wt. G, so I was interested in your thoughts regarding the 8'8" & 8'4".
Old 08-13-2017, 01:46 AM

ibookje is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the report.
Your opinion on the 9ft #4 is interesting. I own the G2 905 and I once cast a G2 885 and found it to be a whole different rod as action goes. Much slower and lighter in hand.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 AM

boisker will become famous soon enoughboisker will become famous soon enough

Hey Scotty
Did you try the G 843/4?
Old 08-13-2017, 05:43 PM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisker View Post
Hey Scotty
Did you try the G 843/4?
Inquiring minds want to know, Scotty. Spill the beans on the GS 843/4!!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:18 PM

scotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond reputescotty macfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrat View Post
Maybe a rod for a raffle prize instead of a cap or t-shirt? .
Yeah, I thought a rod would be raffled as well. They did it in Ft. Collins last time they were there, but according to what I witnessed, Scott isn't the one who makes the rules on raffles.

ibookje, yeah, I thought it would get a little stiffer on the shorter rods. It did on the others, but the G series was opposite.
Like I said, all the rods I tried I thought about where I would get the most pleasure out of them. The 904 would be better in the wind than the 844, and it would work nicely on rivers like the Poudre. The 884 would be a dream rod on the Poudre. The 844 I would like on the St. Vrain or Boulder Creek and in the RMNP. But in my opinion, the 884 would be the more versatile rod for all the places I just mentioned. It would handle them all and still be enjoyable to fish without feeling over or under gunned.

boisker, I liked that rod very, VERY much. I would gladly sell all my 3wts to get that rod. The 773/4 seemed strange to me. And I personally think it's the 7 inches. I'm so used to measurements being in the even sizes like the 8'4", 8'6", 8'8", and so on, and the 7'7" kind of just threw me off a little, but I think it's just a mental thing with me. Funny thing is, there's no 8'6". I can understand why, so it doesn't really matter. But yes, the 843/4 was sweet.

One more thing, Scott now uses Arflo lines on their rods. The Elite lines were used on the G series, Flex, and Radian. The Scott Rep. casted the 905 Radian and was able to cast the entire line on it. The Meridian was loaded with Airflo 40+ line. That rod was built with basically one thing in mind. Speed. I was told when you're out on the flats and you guide says 2:30 at 30 yds, and going out farther, that rod was built where the fisherman in just a second or two change up and cast that line out there in one cast without having to false cast.
Thanks boisker thanked for this post
Likes fishrat liked this post
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 PM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future

OK, Scotty, this is a HUGE LIKE for your post above.

On the Airflo lines, I use an Elite on my 906 Radian, and have fished every conceivable situation with that line--dries, dry/dropper, double nymph rig with split shot and indicator, streamers in rivers, and streamers off the deck of a bass boat on stillwater--and it works just great. It's a terrific all-around line...and it floats, just like it says on the box!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks scotty macfly thanked for this post
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM

fc1955 is on a distinguished road

Another like on the Airflo lines. I use the Elite on my GS 884 and my 905 radian. On my 905 H2 I started using the river and stream and casts very nice. And again they always float.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes scotty macfly liked this post
Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Scotty
Great report, thanks for sharing all that information, very informative!

Do you know if Scott will do a factory tour in Montrose, CO? Later this week I'm headed down to fish the Gunnison river and it would be nice to stop in at Scott if they do tours.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Scotty
Great report, thanks for sharing all that information, very informative!

Do you know if Scott will do a factory tour in Montrose, CO? Later this week I'm headed down to fish the Gunnison river and it would be nice to stop in at Scott if they do tours.
Hey, Larry.

Not to answer for Scotty, but I'm 95% sure that Scott does factory tours, but if I recall they are limited to certain times of the day, and maybe certain days of the week. If in any doubt, find their number on the Scott website ( https://www.scottflyrod.com/contact#t1 ), and call them. I have called them a few times, and there isn't even a voicemail carousel. Somebody picks up and answers after a couple of rings!! And they're happy to talk to you. It's one reason I am becoming a Scott fanatic, that and some custom work they did for me. Oh, and they make a great product, in case no one has heard.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes scotty macfly liked this post