Scott G series (new)

mike_r

Reaction score
Who has had a chance to play with any of the New G's? What models stood out for you? The closest Scott dealer to me is 150 miles away and they have not received any of the new rods yet I am dying to try one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutbum_74

Reaction score
I am very wanting of an 884 or 904. The more I read I think it'll be the 884. Hearing the 904 and the 9' rods in general are a little faster than the shorter models.

davidfin

Reaction score
I have the 885, and I can safely say that this one will never leave my quiver. I don't have much experience with the previous G or G2 models, but this one feels like it's in a league of its own. It's not as slow as I thought it would be but it won't be overpowered. The recovery is unbelievable. I'm a point that I only use glass on smaller rivers, but I took my G series out the other day on a river normally reserved for 3 and 4 wts. I was threading needles with it, painting my flies onto the surface. It definitely has enough guts to fish streamers (up to 8s comfortably, maybe heavier) and nymphs, too. I was using a dry dropper at one point no problem, but I was all dries by the end of the day because of how deadly accurate it is. Nothing like placing your fly in a tea cup at 50+ feet on a river you normally don't cast past 30' on.

It also does better with distance than other similar rods, like select Winstons (which I love, don't get me wrong).

I broke it in on the Delaware and it played the fish up there just fine, granted the rod was bent to the cork at times.

Not so important, but it's also a very handsome rod. If and when I buy another graphite rod it would either be another G series or Winston IM6.

trweston

Reaction score
I am very wanting of an 884 or 904. The more I read I think it'll be the 884. Hearing the 904 and the 9' rods in general are a little faster than the shorter models.

I didn't get to cast side by side (gentlemen was walking out the door with his new 884 as I arrived) but I can tell you that 904 felt like pure magic. Makes my smile just thinking about it. I look forward to hearing your final decision!

Last edited:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Scott came and visited one of our local shops a few weeks ago and I played with the 844, 884, and the 904, plus also the 5wts.

Yes, the 904 is the fastest of the three, and the 844 being much softer. The 884 was definitely the very happy in-between. As I casted these three rods I wondered to myself where each rod could be used and give me the most enjoyment from the rods.

The 844 would be perfect for the smaller streams, and maybe medium rivers. It had a very smooth feel when casting and loaded really easy with the flex Scott gave the rod. Just an awesome dry fly rod.

The 904 would work well on medium sized rivers like the Rio Grande, Cache La Poudre, and even the San Juan. It would handle two nymph rigs as well I thought. I was a little set back when I did feel how stiffer it was, but it casted well and the accuracy was great, as well with the other two rods. And I don't see why it wouldn't handle some, I repeat, some larger rivers as well. But for the larger rivers, I'd go with the 905 or the 885.

The 884 I found to be the most versatile. It had a pleasing feel, not too fast, and not too slow. It was a perfect fit between the two other rods, that you could use it on smaller waters and medium size rivers with no issues.

Each rod, as I was told by the Scott Reps., is the same rod as the G2 series, except the new G's have better components, and resins coating the rod. So to quote the Reps., this is the same rod as the G 2's, but better.

And it is my humble opinion, they are right. These new G series rods are simply fantastic.

I'd get the 884, but that's just my opinion going off on the waters I fish.

sgp

Reaction score
Just received confirmation my 8'8 #4 is on its way to me. Should arrive Monday. Really looking forward to taking this rod out for a cast.

Simon

mike_r

Reaction score
For those who own or have handled these rods, is the reelseat hardware more of a flat or satin black as it shows in pictures? Trivial I know, but the less glare the better in my book! The plus is that they ought to look good with my Bauer Mac reels!

troutbum_74

Reaction score
For those who own or have handled these rods, is the reelseat hardware more of a flat or satin black as it shows in pictures? Trivial I know, but the less glare the better in my book! The plus is that they ought to look good with my Bauer Mac reels!

That's what's going on my 884 when I get it!! A Bauer CFX!!

sgp

Reaction score
Well after an anxious wait my new #4 arrived today. Unfortunately the weather is against taking her out for a cast, so all I can do at the moment is admire her beauty. I paired it up with a Speedster 1.5 and it balances nicely. I'll provide a brief update once I've taken it for a test cast.

Simon

rocketbomb

Reaction score
Only fished mine once, but I like it. Super accurate, but the good part is how easily the accuracy comes. Don't really have to try hard, just cast it right and it delivers. Casting it right may take some getting used to, I'd been tossing fast rods before I got mine (an 884) and it took me a while to slow down enough. It's slower than my 8' 4wt Superfine Carbon. Not by a ton, but it's definitely noticeable. But once you adjust it's a pleasure to cast. Very smooth.

EDIT: Just checked and the reel seat anodizing is a nicely muted/satin shade. Much less shiny than a Radian reel seat.

Last edited:

bevanwj

Reaction score
Can't for the life of me understand why Trident would choose to review the new G Series with a half heavy fly line like the SA MPX?

ixoye

Reaction score
Can't for the life of me understand why Trident would choose to review the new G Series with a half heavy fly line like the SA MPX?
Yeah, very odd...What makes SA MPX so very special that everyone uses it in their tests?

mike_r

Reaction score
MPX loads a rod quickly with little line out and allows the novice a feeling of rod load that is hard not to notice. Great for those who can only single haul because it will allow them to "shoot" line even without the best timing. Test the rod with a line you are going to set up a neophyte Fly Fisher who typically has more money than sense. Not always the best approach, but the again some folks who can cast, actually like the 1/2lines for gen purpose work.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
some folks who can cast, actually like the 1/2lines for gen purpose work
Um, who? I evaluate Yellowstone Shootouts by the line they say is "best". I know George can cast so what's with the over-lining? I have rods that like a tad extra mass and OK, fine. Scott G's are not among those rods unless something is changed dramatically in G3.

mike_r

Reaction score
My response was more generalized and not meant to be taken that a 1/2 heavy line like GPX or MPX would be a good fit for most applications utilizing a moderate action fly rod. I know quite a few guys (some of them guides) who use these lines for nymphing and dries for all sorts of rods. To each their own. I could take a 7wt GPX on a Scott G 905 and throw pretty loops with a 16' Slack leader and a sz20 Griffeth's Gnat. That doesn't mean I am going to enjoy employing that setup, but with enough concentration, I could make it work. I personally would rather work with a longbelly WF or a DT line that agrees with the rod's designated line size. I would have evaluated the new GS rods with an SA Mastery Trout line, but that is just me.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I would have evaluated the new GS rods with an SA Mastery Trout line, but that is just me.
Not just you, most of us and surly most G-fans would concur. Sometimes guides have to dumb down their tackle to accommodate less experienced clients that may be relying upon it.

davidfin

Reaction score
Got more time with the 885 yesterday, and now that I'm more used to it's stroke I have to say that it's pretty special, a real joy to cast.