Scott G2 rod & reel advice?

saflyfish

Reaction score
So pulled the trigger on the famous 4wt 8'8 Scott G2 found it on closeout after a long search.If anyone wants to know who has stock on closeout as of today just let me know.Got mine for $521 which is a good deal i reckon.
Anyway considering this is a classic approx what weight reel should i hang off her and more importantly what is the best line for this rod/

thanks guys...

ibookje

Reaction score
A nice click&pawl reel?
I paired my G2 905 with a 1970's Hardy Perfect

el jefe

Reaction score
So pulled the trigger on the famous 4wt 8'8 Scott G2 found it on closeout after a long search.If anyone wants to know who has stock on closeout as of today just let me know.Got mine for $521 which is a good deal i reckon.
Anyway considering this is a classic approx what weight reel should i hang off her and more importantly what is the best line for this rod/

thanks guys...
Line: SA Mastery Trout or Wavelength Trout (that's the mildly textured version). If you can find the SA Mastery Textured Trout (it's a year or two old in the product cycle), you'll save some money, and basically get the same line. I use the Textured Trout on my G2 884/4; made for each other.

Reel: How about a Ross Gunnison 2, the Heritage edition redux from 2014. You can find them on the auction site, and some fly shops still have new stock.

mike_r

Reaction score
Scott G2 rod & reel advice?

I had the 884 G2 and paired it with a black Galvan Standard 3.0 which weighed about 4.5 Oz if I remember correctly. I do remember that it balanced great when strung up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbgoff

Reaction score
i have an Orvis CFO III on mine. It's a classy setup. The III weighs 3.5 oz.

saflyfish

Reaction score
which lines do you guys use?
I heard the mastery trout is great which is a WF line i believe.
Some have said Rio Gold but this rod seems true to line weight.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I concur that a classic spring and pawl like Hardy LRH or CFO III (or new also CO made Ross Colorado) would match this rods personality. Also a true to weight line like SA Mastery Trout or Cortland Omni-Verse would be just right. I prefer the extended head and long rear taper design over a DT because as one lengthens for longer casts, after 30' of line + leader too much mass is added into the overhang with the continuing thick belly of the DT while the diminishing mass of the long rear taper does not overload but maintains loop stability.

ibookje

Reaction score
Which shop has a big sale on G2's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk